Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM

10,099 posts, read 6,441,828 times

Advertisements

I had a phone call from my brother's cell phone today that I missed because I was outside trying to mow the lawn. I figured at first it was about his birthday tomorrow. However, it was a message from a lady who said to call her. When I got in touch with her, it was to find out that my brother had died from an aggressive cancer that they only discovered in January. He had asked to be taken home and the people from his church had cared for him until his passing. I'm so grateful that he had a wonderful supportive community (a very small mountain town in Arkansas) at the end of his life, but I'm now the only surviving sibling of three. I feel so alone now because there's no one I can really talk to about our parents or our life growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 11,208 times
Sorry for your loss..

Old 03-19-2020, 08:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Well... you can talk to us. Or write down your memories for future generations.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That was really fast.

I've heard told when a person finds favour with God, they are called home around their birthday.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Well... you can talk to us. Or write down your memories for future generations.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That was really fast.

I've heard told when a person finds favour with God, they are called home around their birthday.
That's a really nice thought. Thank you. I know he spent a lot of time in the last year giving out food to the homeless with his church group, and he got a lot of personal fulfillment doing that.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I had a phone call from my brother's cell phone today that I missed because I was outside trying to mow the lawn. I figured at first it was about his birthday tomorrow. However, it was a message from a lady who said to call her. When I got in touch with her, it was to find out that my brother had died from an aggressive cancer that they only discovered in January. He had asked to be taken home and the people from his church had cared for him until his passing. I'm so grateful that he had a wonderful supportive community (a very small mountain town in Arkansas) at the end of his life, but I'm now the only surviving sibling of three. I feel so alone now because there's no one I can really talk to about our parents or our life growing up.
I'm so sorry for your loss. But you could still talk to friends, cousins, aunt, uncles, spouses, and your children.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
Did he have any children? If he did writing about how you grew up with him, things you did in everyday life and stuff you didn't tell your parents about that you shouldn't have done. It seems like we don't take the time to tell these little things to your own kids about it are interesting.

My mom told us kids her and some older sisters would sneak out and take their fathers car on rides in the middle of the night. Her older sisters only brought her along because she new how to disconnect and reconnect the odometer. He always checked the milage but didn't know his kids outsmarted him.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. But you could still talk to friends, cousins, aunt, uncles, spouses, and your children.
Unfortunately. all I have left is a niece and a nephew. I called my niece last night and we had a good talk; I'm closer to her. My nephew travels a lot and we're not close.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
My condolences.

I got that kind of call in 2014 when my kid brother died of a heart attack. He was 61. 6 years younger than I.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
My condolences.

I got that kind of call in 2014 when my kid brother died of a heart attack. He was 61. 6 years younger than I.
Thank you. Those kinds of phone calls are hell, aren't they? I got one similar to yours when my only sister died from a heart attack two years ago. I'll never get over her death, as she was my dearest friend.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Damn. Was it pancreatic? I had a friend die from that. Sorry for your loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning