Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 11:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

He was only 62, just a few years from retirement. He loved life so much. He has had high blood pressure since he was a young man but it's been well controlled by meds. But he also had extremely high trigylcerides, which were so high that the doctor said it had to be a genetic condition. Nothing brought them down, ever. Not much anyway. But he was so funny and full of life and so gallant and kind hearted and so, so good to me...it really is unbelievable.

I just talked with him last night and he sounded 100 percent normal. The last words we said to each other were "I love you." We also ate out this weekend at the restaurant where he looked across the table and me and said to himself (not me) "I am going to marry this girl." And he did. And we had 15 beautiful, incredibly happy years together.

He was my boon companion.

He was working out of state about 8 hours away, and had a heart attack while driving in to work this morning. He had just stopped and gotten some coffee from a convenience store and got in his car, and the medical examiner said he wasn't even going that fast, and just left the road, didn't even hit the breaks, and ran into a small fence, so the truck is definitely drivable and since he just got there, it still has a lot of his stuff in it. So they are keeping it all safe for me. He will be brought back here tomorrow evening.

It's just unbelievable to me. So. In the past five years, I've lost my inlaws, my parents, my younger brother, and now my husband. I'm numb. It hasn't hit me. I just cannot imagine a world without his beautiful smile in it.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:40 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,106 times
Oh wow. I am very sorry. Saying a prayer. I hope you have some supportive people close by to help you out.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:54 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Oh Kathryn! My heart skipped a beat when I saw your headline and your name. I am so sorry this happened to your husband and you. Sadness reins. I am glad you had 15 years with him. So sorry to hear of all your losses over the last 5 years.

((((Kathryn))))

Old 08-27-2020, 03:18 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Oh, Kathryn, I'm so sorry. He sounds like a wonderful guy. May you find peace and comfort as you grieve his loss.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:41 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Seeing the post title and your name was a stunner. I am so sorry.

The shock and the required handling of the paperwork may help you through the first few days. I think that you will come to cherish that you had a parting that was a closure affirmative of your love. As the weeks go on, you might find reading past threads in this forum supportive. My best to you as you start this journey.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:49 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. None of us seem to breathe easy when we get that age. Prayers and thoughts for you and your family during this time.

I have heard about triglycerides being difficult to control for many. Years ago, my stepfather keeled over at the breakfast table at 76. He had this very same problem.

Once again I'm so sorry and May God Bless.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Kathryn, I am so sorry about your husband's death.

Please accept my condolences. I am thinking of you. You and your journey through caregiving have been an inspiration to me during this current journey I am going through in taking care of my mother. Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Peace to you soon.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:17 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He was only 62, just a few years from retirement. He loved life so much. He has had high blood pressure since he was a young man but it's been well controlled by meds. But he also had extremely high trigylcerides, which were so high that the doctor said it had to be a genetic condition. Nothing brought them down, ever. Not much anyway. But he was so funny and full of life and so gallant and kind hearted and so, so good to me...it really is unbelievable.

I just talked with him last night and he sounded 100 percent normal. The last words we said to each other were "I love you." We also ate out this weekend at the restaurant where he looked across the table and me and said to himself (not me) "I am going to marry this girl." And he did. And we had 15 beautiful, incredibly happy years together.

He was working out of state about 8 hours away, and had a heart attack while driving in to work this morning. He had just stopped and gotten some coffee from a convenience store and got in his car, and the medical examiner said he wasn't even going that fast, and just left the road, didn't even hit the breaks, and ran into a small fence, so the truck is definitely drivable and since he just got there, it still has a lot of his stuff in it. So they are keeping it all safe for me. He will be brought back here tomorrow evening.

It's just unbelievable to me. So. In the past five years, I've lost my inlaws, my parents, my younger brother, and now my husband. I'm numb. It hasn't hit me. I just cannot imagine a world without his beautiful smile in it.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kathryn. My husband also died unexpectedly at 62 as well, from a massive stroke.

We had just been married in October 2016. We met on Christian Forums in July 2014 (and in person that October 31st which is the date we got married). He had the stroke on Christmas Eve morning December 2018 and passed away at the hospital on December 27th.

He was in excellent health prior to the stroke. He actually had lower blood pressure, heart rate and cholesterol (low bad cholesterol and high good cholesterol) and was normal weight (actually lower weight than average). For some reason he did have a mini stroke and completely recovered in June of 2016, right before we were married on paper. The hospital physicians could not determine what caused the stroke. The only negative thing he did was smoke. He tried to quit after that; we put him on chantix, but of course it didn't work (he's so stubborn; I had a suspicion that it wouldn't even though for practically every one else I heard it was like a miracle drug to stop smoking).

That last evening we had went out shopping and we stayed up late (very normal, especially for him not for me). I was wrapping Christmas gifts in the living room and he was on the internet (like almost always) and playing guitar in the kitchen. It was a very normal evening. We went to bed around 2am or so.

I woke up early to go to work that day (about 6am). I heard him cry out from our bedroom (about 8am) on the 2nd floor where I was finishing up wrapping gifts downstairs in the living room. I thought he was having another cramp like he does frequently, but I thought I had better go up and check. That was when I found him in the throes of a stroke, barely able to communicate to me. I quickly called 911. It was a hope I believe in the back of my mind that he would recover like he had back in June with the first stroke. He managed to tell me he loved me and I told him many times that I loved him.

At the local hospital they took him in for diagnostic work. Before they took him to get that done, he managed to say "I love you" and that was the last he spoke to me. They had to fly him to York hospital, a center for better stroke care. I went over there later in the afternoon and that is when the doctor told me he had an enormously massive stroke and that he could probably survive if on life support but would have no memory, personality, etc.

Later that evening some people from my church stopped by to comfort me. I told them I would take him off life support since he would not want that. A couple from my church was there and the wife suggested that I wait until after Christmas and I complied. I wasn't in the frame of mind to be thinking very clearly and went along with suggestions rather easily. His brothers came to the hospital the next evening and confirmed that he would not want to be on life support.

We took him off the afternoon of December 26th. His breathing seemed excellent. They moved him to another room where I spent the night. As the evening progressed his breathing worsened. I had wanted to take him home to die because when we first looked at our home we bought he loved it so much he said he could die here. We were in preparation to do that since he seemed to not be in an excessively critical condition where he couldn't be moved, like where he was immediately going to pass away, so they thought having him brought home to die would be possible.

That morning however, he was put on oxygen because the breathing was so bad without it. He seemed to be doing very well on the oxygen however. I spoke to him for a little while before leaving to go to the bathroom and wash up for the day. When I returned that is when he had passed.

I would have fallen all apart and likely would have taken my own life by now if not for my faith in Jesus Christ, a faith we both strongly shared. He was all my joy in life. Our relationship was not without its minor struggles and bickering here and that but we loved each other so well and every day, even the few times especially after we were married (prior to that was a difficult time when he lived in Pittsburgh and I in North Carolina; I had just lost my job and was under-employed when I met him and he was struggling to find work in NC before I secured a full time job in PA; that wasn't a pleasant time) when we had our little fights, we made up and every day we had together was full of love for each other and pleasant times.

My only purpose in life is to live for the Lord Jesus now. He has taken away all my joy for reasons that are known only to him. But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away and blessed be the name of the Lord. It may be but a few days before I am called home to dwell in the house of my God or it may be many years; but when I am called from this life, it will have seemed but a moment has passed. Then I will be united again to my beloved husband and together will all the children of the Lord we will dwell in eternal bliss with Jesus in heaven.

I cannot imagine a more happier time than the days I spent (that were the good days) when I had first met my husband in North Carolina (he hated it there, but I loved it!). From what I heard of heaven it doesn't sound that appealing to me, but I trust in the word of God that there will be no more tears or pain or death or sorrow. So since I can't imagine it but trust that there will be happiness there, I imagine it will be just like when I first met my husband and we spent so much time together there in North Carolina. If it is not like that, which is likely won't be, I can only know that it will be so much better.

I am so sorry for your loss Kathryn. All I can do is share with you what happened to me. I never had a script in mind for someone's reply when I told people about the unexpected death of my husband (usually it would be they would ask if I'm married or something along those lines--I just got a new job recently and before that I was in relief work where I would be in many new work environments); mostly I just didn't want to make them feel awkward because I look very young and still am (just will turn 40 in about 2 months) so it doesn't look like I would be a widow and (thankfully) not many people's spouses die unexpectedly (why ours? I look forward to when I am with Jesus and he will tell my husband and I all about it). So all I do hope they say is something to the effect of "I'm sorry for your loss" and I am consoled by that. I have much sorrow to hear of the death of anyone and it saddens me to hear of the loss of your husband.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:32 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Loving life comes from hope. Opinion, of course.

You know how it is - when we see the last of the last generation die, we know one of us next.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:50 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Whoa. Katherine, I am sorry. I went through the unexpected sudden loss of my husband last year.

Take your time, take care of yourself. Let others help when they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.