Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:11 PM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Since when ?

I've been using it for over 10 years with no fees. Searching is free.

https://www.legacy.com/search does not even need a sign-in.

If you want alerts on new names etc, that does require a sign-in and setup, but still no fee.

From https://www.legacy.com/obit-messenger/help.aspx#q7

"How much does ObitMessengerâ„¢ cost?
ObitMessengerâ„¢ is a free service."
I get a restore obit and guest book message....for $79.95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 02:21 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
When my FIL passed away, there was an obit-I don't know who paid for it. I THINK it was the funeral home but they would only include blood-relatives and it would cost more if my name was include. So my name was omitted for it.

Cat

Old 02-12-2021, 02:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I remember my grandparents wakes when I was little. They were two days, from 2-4 and 7-9. The funeral was in church, then the cemetary......then we all would go to a restaurant, have brunch.....with drinks of course. Back then I think funerals cost just as much as weddings.
At my moms funeral we went to a restaurant afterwards. I would assume that would be probably more than norm today.

But where I grew up, and where my family came from, we didn’t have restaurants. So the wakes were always held at the decedents household with food brought by many loving people. Somehow they all coordinated so not everybody brought funeral potatoes, but even if they had I think those suckers are so good that they would’ve been gone anyway.

It’s so strange that where I grew up when I talk to people who were local they are now about how it was, it is so hard for them to believe. The road I used to ride my bike bike down all the time is now in the midst of being constructed as a four-lane road. As the song says, the times they are a’changin...

Old 02-12-2021, 04:05 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Obituaries, burials ? 1948, my uncle was cremated, his urn in a mausoleum near our home The mausoleum was outside the cemetery, next to a stone chapel. Mom would purchase flowers from flower shop close by; inside the mausoleum, peaceful, fountains, carnaries singing from cages hanging from above. As a child felt a peace, honoring a loved one.
This was Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, California.

Burial is a common practice I later learned, cremation less common, especially years ago.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:57 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
We have not read a newspaper for years, so why bother.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:58 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I dislike all the fuss around funerals. Maybe it comes from having had to attend too many of them as a kid (lots of older relatives.) For hubby and me there will be no funerals, no obits, no fuss. Our kids already know this and our trust spells it out. Anyone who needs to know will know. I just don't feel any need to have it announced and it has nothing to do with cost.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Not all that long ago, everybody had an obituary in the local newspaper. Then the local newspaper started charging for them by the inch. All they'll do now is give a simple death notice with notation of a funeral time, date and place, but now with COVID 19, a lot of people aren't even having a graveside service.
You have to go to the funeral home website to find any obituary or even a full obituary.
I hate it because there are no standards. Obituaries used to be valuable resources of info with the birth and death dates mentioned, place of death, relatives, where the relative lives, fairly dependable name spellings.
Now nobody doublechecks checks any of that and not all obituaries have the same type of info.
It's really frustrating.
I have had some friends pass away and their family had nothing. It deprives me of a chance to mourn the person and express my concern and love for that person to their family. Of course they're mourning, but so are we, the non-family members. You'd think those expressions would help comfort them.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:25 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Not all that long ago, everybody had an obituary in the local newspaper. Then the local newspaper started charging for them by the inch. All they'll do now is give a simple death notice with notation of a funeral time, date and place, but now with COVID 19, a lot of people aren't even having a graveside service.
You have to go to the funeral home website to find any obituary or even a full obituary.
I hate it because there are no standards. Obituaries used to be valuable resources of info with the birth and death dates mentioned, place of death, relatives, where the relative lives, fairly dependable name spellings.
Now nobody doublechecks checks any of that and not all obituaries have the same type of info.
It's really frustrating.
I have had some friends pass away and their family had nothing. It deprives me of a chance to mourn the person and express my concern and love for that person to their family. Of course they're mourning, but so are we, the non-family members. You'd think those expressions would help comfort them.
I have a couple of close friends who are not pleased with me because of my plans to not have a funeral.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
I always check the obituaries to see if I'm still alive.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I always check the obituaries to see if I'm still alive.
Up until recently, Carl Reiner did that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning