Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 08:09 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,979,337 times

Advertisements

Recently, I have read about 2 people who died locally, and did not have an obituary in the local newspaper. One was an HVAC technician who slipped on the ice at a job site and hit his head. His body was discovered the next morning. Another was a woman who I knew from when I worked part-time at the library. This has caused me to wonder how many other deaths do not show up in the newspaper. Is paying to run an obituary going out of fashion? And what about the homeless? We have a significant homeless population in Wooster. When one of them dies, does their death go unnoticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 08:12 AM

18,658 posts, read 33,258,064 times
I think there are legal requirements for death notices but no further for a fuller obituary.

I do like how the New York Times altered the reporting of obits in their "Portraits of Grief" after 9/11. Fuller obits are written by the deceased prior, or by associates after and can include all sorts of personal details.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:18 AM

15,126 posts, read 27,634,921 times
There is NO legal requirement to have either a death notice or an obituary in the newspaper. Many law enforcement, etc. say NOT to have one published, especially if someone is now alone, etc. - gives would-be thieves ideas.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:26 AM

8,717 posts, read 4,973,179 times
It is expensive to do an obit in the paper. For one thing not many people read the newspaper any more, and with social media, it`s easy to get the word out. Plus, in covid times, no wakes or funerals are being held.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:31 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,185,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
It is expensive to do an obit in the paper. For one thing not many people read the newspaper any more, and with social media, it`s easy to get the word out. Plus, in covid times, no wakes or funerals are being held.
That is what I heard- Obits are VERY expensive (like classified ads or lost/found) to put in a newspaper now.

Most funeral homes do it for free as part of their service (Dignity Memorial etc....)

Old 02-12-2021, 08:51 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,885,215 times
When my MIL passed, last year, her obit was $900/day in the small, local paper.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:22 AM

7,485 posts, read 13,515,256 times
You can use this website to search for obits in other than local newspapers.

https://www.legacy.com/

Also can sign up for e-mail alerts based on names or city or employer or other keywords.

Listings go back to year 2000

FWIW, I have found branches of the family tree I didn't know existed.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:32 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,164,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Recently, I have read about 2 people who died locally, and did not have an obituary in the local newspaper. One was an HVAC technician who slipped on the ice at a job site and hit his head. His body was discovered the next morning. Another was a woman who I knew from when I worked part-time at the library. This has caused me to wonder how many other deaths do not show up in the newspaper. Is paying to run an obituary going out of fashion? And what about the homeless? We have a significant homeless population in Wooster. When one of them dies, does their death go unnoticed?
It’s wildly expensive to run an obit. When someone famous dies, I think it’s considered news, so they don’t pay.

With the online source of Legacy.com, the funeral home can put up an obit, and it will be picked up and shared.

But there is no legal requirement to post an obituary. And indeed, the cut rate but very high-quality cremation service I used for my husband did not do obituaries. So the only reason people knew is because they were in my circle. And frankly, I happen to know my husband would’ve liked that very much. He did not want a fuss, and he would have not appreciated me spending one penny more than it would cost. Right now I’m sure he is stamping his foot that I purchased an urn. The boring black plastic box would’ve just been as fine with him.

But this is something that isn’t new. I have a great grand uncle who died in 1918 in World War I. He died in training camp from dysentery, and he was not the only one from the area who died from the same maladies. And for whatever reason, there was no obituary.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:38 AM

18,658 posts, read 33,258,064 times
I stand corrected. I thought a minimal death notice was a state requirement.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:40 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,984,064 times
Agree with everyone here that newspaper obits are not automatic. In some places you pay to place them. In others the newspapers only allow certain people to be included. For example the Washington Post allowed a short obit for my mom, but only because she was born in DC and from an old farm family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning