Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 04:51 AM

631 posts, read 297,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Someone told me an eerie story-a hippie moved into an empty house on Rhode Island,it has no electricity,no water but some furniture from the previous owner,no one knows where he went.
During Xmas,he found a Xmas tree and sat it in the living room,there is no electricity,so he has no blinking decors on the tree.
One day while he was talking to some visitors,they watch a light traveled from the tree top across the living room to the bottom of the stairs,hovered there for a few minutes and disappeared.
As he has some inkling something is going on in the house as when he goes to bed,he always sense something would land on the pillow with a light thud!,he decides to tear down the wall behind the stair,and found a closet there,inside is a dead woman .

It turns out the previous owner when he found out his wife has cancer,killed her,hid her body in that closet and left .
Not much else is known why he killed her,and why the body does not rot and smell?
That story sounds similar to the experiences that undertaker told me about doors being opened and closed or lights being turned off and on, while he prepared the chapel for the wake. The spirits want people to know they are there and they do hover around their bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 06:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
It does. Primarily, I think because it is in the middle of nowhere, there's little activity to disturb the solitude and stillness of the battlefield.

Jamestown, Virginia. Not the recreated fort with reenactors, the actual, archaeological site. There is a particular section marked off with small crosses, denoting it as a mass grave, but a large part of the site is crisscrossed with burials.

During the Starving Time, people were buried within the fort so the indigenous people surrounding them didn't know their numbers were dwindling. I've been studying its history since learning an early ancestor settled there in 1622 and regard the early history as one of likely misery, fear and regret among the people who landed on its shores and didn't live very long after. Even the ones who survived the worst years - 1609 through 1610 - probably held bad memories of what they had to do to survive.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...lism-46000815/

It's a clean, well-brushed site now, but if you arrive early, before the crowds, a gloom seems to rise from the earth.
I have been there! I too had an ancestor who settled there and in fact, I found his grave in Yorktown (he was in Jamestown first and then in Yorktown). I remember the mass grave site too. I was there on a weekday morning and it was just as you said. (I bet our ancestors knew each other.)

I read a great book on the James River not too long ago. I love the history of that area. I spent three very formative years there when I was growing up and we learned Virginia history in school and WOW, it is fascinating!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._America_Began

Old 10-30-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
My mother fell ill on a Friday and following Monday passed away. On Saturday she left the hospital and I took a few photos because she was happy to be home. But on Sunday her health became worse and while she was unconscious I said my goodbyes to her. She died the next day.

When I said my goodbyes I notice a bit of water around her eyes but she was unconscious. I was very sad she passed away but at the same time happy I had a chance to say goodbye. (Any other time and I would have been out of the country on business.)

Anyway... I began to wonder if my mother heard me? Then a few days later I looked at the photos I took the day before she passed away and there was my mother smiling...with one hand cupped around her ear. As if to say, "I can hear you."
This reminds me of when my dad fell into a coma after a stroke on his brainstem. The doctors told me that they could keep him alive but they couldn't save his life. As his POA, I had to make the decision to take him off life support or not. I asked if he was in any pain and they said no, but he was in "locked in" mode, which sounds so awful. So I asked if I could go home and reread his medical directive, pray about it, talk with family, come to grips with it and give them an answer in the morning, and they said yes.

So I decided to take him off life support. It was a terrible decision. The next morning I went up to the hospital again and before the doctors came in, I met with my dad. He had been unresponsive for the last two days, since the stroke. I stood beside him and held his precious hand and told him my decision and told him how much I loved him and how sorry I was about this. A single tear ran down his face, and I felt like everything was in that tear - I felt like he was crying for himself but also for me, for the decision I had had to make and share with him. For his life, and the end of it, and everything he had experienced and we had shared.

The doctors came in, took him off life support gently and quietly, and he died a few hours later, peacefully.

So this wasn't a gravesite happening but it went along with your story so I thought I would share it. I do believe your mom could hear you.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
i have a problem with the word, "dead". the body no longer functions, but the spirit doesn't just die. your friend is not dead. he has moved elsewhere.
there are pictures which show when the person dies,the spirit or soul leaves the body and ascend into the sky,the body is perfect,despite whatever illness the person suffers during his lifetime.
there are actually 2 -soul and spirit or lower/upper self or Ba and Ka.
Some said the Ka leaves first,then the Ba,the Ba will try to find the Ka .
The ancient Egyptian has a ritual after the body is mummified,called opening of the mouth,using a metal instrument,it forces open the mummified mouth,I assume it is to allow one of the spirits to escape?
The Tibetans believe in reincarnation,after the lama dies,they will try to find him and bring him back to the monastry to be trained as the next lama.
There are stories of the child who walks into the room of the past lama and claimed he remembers where he kept his denture in the last life !
Dead = the physical body expires ,from dust it came,to dust it returns

Old 10-30-2021, 07:30 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
No. Every grave site and graveyard I have visited (and I have visited quite a few) has always exuded a deep sense of peace for me. I used to visit a graveyard named Harmony Hill when I was a teenager, after school. It was quite old and right in the middle of town. I would sit and meditate there and the traffic sounds just seemed to disappear. Even the grave of a loved one who killed himself is very peaceful. He's no longer in pain.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I'm assuming you don't mean being at a funeral where someone slipped and fell in the open grave...

I have a spitoon and some wood flooring I've saved for years to go over my grave. I always think of others, and I don't want the dancers to slip on the spit.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:51 PM

319 posts, read 199,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have been there! I too had an ancestor who settled there and in fact, I found his grave in Yorktown (he was in Jamestown first and then in Yorktown). I remember the mass grave site too. I was there on a weekday morning and it was just as you said. (I bet our ancestors knew each other.)

I read a great book on the James River not too long ago. I love the history of that area. I spent three very formative years there when I was growing up and we learned Virginia history in school and WOW, it is fascinating!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._America_Began
That looks good. I bookmarked it to download to my Kindle. When we last visited, camping at Chippokes and crossing the river everyday, I scarfed up all the books in the gift shop. I also caught a glimpse of Dr. Kelso and felt like running after him for an autograph

My ancestor was John Chew. There is an oral history that he was with the original 1607 expedition, but no documentation. He is said to have arrived to take up a permanent home a month after the 1622 massacre.

I have read that Hog Island was settled at the same time as Jamestown was building up; the Chew family had a plantation there; but there isn't much documentation. The fact that it's the site of a nuclear power plant probably prevents any archeology.

I'd move to just about any part of Virginia in a hot minute, but my first choice would be close to the James River, especially around the historic area.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:54 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I do genealogy. I spend a lot of time in graveyards. I have never had anything weird happen.

However, I could see someone I cared about coming back to tell me it was OK when I needed to hear that and coming back to the cemetery to tell you when your distress might be the greatest.

I like the thought when I go visit my parents graves that they were there next to me for that minute. I’ve never had those feelings. Just a nice thought.
My sister is our family genealogist. She has also done thousands of photos for Find-A-Grave.

She had a weird experience but not supernatural. She went to photograph the grave of a great-grandmother who was buried in a church cemetery down the hill from the church. She found the grave and took the photo, and then when she looked up the hill she had a sudden flashback, a memory of having been there looking up that hill before. She remembered standing there with our father and grandmother. They must have gone to the grave and taken her along when she was very small, but she had no conscious memory of it until that day.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:57 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Gettysburg is eerie. But I could not identify my feeling, beyond it being eerie. Sad.
Knew some people whose kid seemed to see or sense spirits. He would not go into one of the buildings at Gettysburg because he said there were too many spirits inside.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
That looks good. I bookmarked it to download to my Kindle. When we last visited, camping at Chippokes and crossing the river everyday, I scarfed up all the books in the gift shop. I also caught a glimpse of Dr. Kelso and felt like running after him for an autograph

My ancestor was John Chew. There is an oral history that he was with the original 1607 expedition, but no documentation. He is said to have arrived to take up a permanent home a month after the 1622 massacre.

I have read that Hog Island was settled at the same time as Jamestown was building up; the Chew family had a plantation there; but there isn't much documentation. The fact that it's the site of a nuclear power plant probably prevents any archeology.

I'd move to just about any part of Virginia in a hot minute, but my first choice would be close to the James River, especially around the historic area.
SAME HERE. In fact, Yorktown is my very favorite spot in the entire world.

Nicholas Martiau was my ancestor. I will look up John Chew too.

Martiau built the fences in Jamestown (he got there in 1620 I believe) and then laid out the plan for Yorktown. He was a French Huguenot and a naturalized British citizen. He died in Yorktown in 1657 I believe.

I would totally move to Yorktown or like you said, anywhere in Virginia, in a moment. In fact, I may do it one day, who knows. I love the whole historic triangle. I spent many years of my childhood in Norfolk and then Newport News and then my daughter lived there for several years as well. I've been back so many times I've lost track. I absolutely love it there.

When I go to Yorktown, I can really feel the presence of dead soldiers there. Especially the British troops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning