Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

I am still waiting to start my deer hunting season. I know in many parts of the United States big game hunting has started. Just wanted to see if anyone cared to share their stories and any pictures. I head out on 10-13 for five days. Looking to bring two buck home this year. I might also grab a bear tag and see if I can shoot a floor rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I am still waiting to start my deer hunting season. I know in many parts of the United States big game hunting has started. Just wanted to see if anyone cared to share their stories and any pictures. I head out on 10-13 for five days. Looking to bring two buck home this year. I might also grab a bear tag and see if I can shoot a floor rug.
Why not shoot some does and help control the population?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
MOgal if I would if I could. I would shoot two does and no bucks if I could score a coveted doe tag. It is a long and complicated screwed up scenario here in California with the DFG and County Officials. The last ten years I have been going out of state and have brought home more does than bucks. Need to stay close to home the next couple of years till the economy comes back.

How about you plan on any hunting this year?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM

590 posts, read 555,147 times
I don't know if this counts, but I shot some pool.

Deer hunting season hasn't started yet in Nevada.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
I don't know if this counts, but I shot some pool.

Deer hunting season hasn't started yet in Nevada.
I hunted the Rubies back in 1988 and 1989. Took one 4x4 and 3x3. Pretty country.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
MOgal if I would if I could. I would shoot two does and no bucks if I could score a coveted doe tag. It is a long and complicated screwed up scenario here in California with the DFG and County Officials. The last ten years I have been going out of state and have brought home more does than bucks. Need to stay close to home the next couple of years till the economy comes back.

How about you plan on any hunting this year?
I think the zone A tags are the only area with readily available doe tags. For me it is all on what they have been eating rather than being a spike or 4 point. That doe meat goes down well. Lost my access to a winery with a eradication permit. My cousin had a winery in Paso Robles sitting on 300 acres. Yummmmy, grape fed venison.

Could run up and take one on my dads ranch with the crossbow, hardy sporting and I do not want to run off the deer. He does have wild emu there. Someone raising them was not zoned for raising poultry. Ended up turning loose 100 emu.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:05 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Commenting on a subject should only be allowed if you have something worthwhile to say.

On topic,

I spent a couple days over a bear bait last week but I waited too long. Had I sat a couple weeks earlier there were alot of bear around eating berries. As it was they were in the woods searching out mast and I ran out of time before they found my bait. I'll be back, its open until Nov in NH but baiting seasons done.

Archery deer is open here & I'v sat several times. Could have tagged a few does but its been up around 80 degrees so I let them walk. I like letting a deer hang a few days before cutting it up if I can and I despise dealing with it in a hurry because of the heat.

Here in CT the archery season goes from Sept 15 till Dec 31 and in my area we get the month of Jan as well. We can take pretty much all the does we want as long as you check them in & get replacement tags. You get two antlered tags with the license & every third doe you can get another buck tag. Most folks dont think of CT as a hunting destination but theres alot of deer here.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
My comment is in fact, worthwhile, AND on topic. Hunting bears is just absolutely horrible. There is no reason for it. None. You don't eat bear meat, do you? No, you more than likely hunt to get a "thrill." Makes me sick, how people can conceive this cruelty as a normal or an acceptable activity.

Again, let's see a bear with an advantage for once; you with no guns, and only your bare hands to fairly kill the animal with. Give the animal (who has every right to live as you do) a reasonable chance of survival.

You do not remotely know of what you speak. I ate my bear last year & if I get another I'll eat that one too. I generally eat what I kill.

Whats cruel is letting animals multiply until they need to forage around humans to eat and start getting hit by cars, starving or killed as a nusiance.
Theres is nothing in nature less cruel or more humane than the methods humans use to kill.

You should take the time to learn the facts. The fact is that most of the animals people like you take for granted are only here because of funds derived from hunting. How much have YOU done to preserve habitat or otherwise help nature? How much money do you donate to buy lands set aside for conservation? How much have you donated to reintroduce animals to historical ranges? How much time do you spend taking notes & watching to see whats actually in the area so you can help local biologists & wildlife officials determine what needs to be done to create a good ballance of wildlife?
My guess is the extent of your efforts is to berate the ones who actually are helping. But hey, its America & you are free to make a fool of yourself any time you choose.

The bear I shot last year helped NH biologists determine the health of the local population, what they eat and many other things they simply cannot learn any other way. The money from my license goes almost directly back into conservation efforts as does a portion of the money I spend on guns, ammo & other hunting related things.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Never send a hunter to do a cars job.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I think the zone A tags are the only area with readily available doe tags. For me it is all on what they have been eating rather than being a spike or 4 point. That doe meat goes down well. Lost my access to a winery with a eradication permit. My cousin had a winery in Paso Robles sitting on 300 acres. Yummmmy, grape fed venison.

Could run up and take one on my dads ranch with the crossbow, hardy sporting and I do not want to run off the deer. He does have wild emu there. Someone raising them was not zoned for raising poultry. Ended up turning loose 100 emu.
I love doe meat. When we have the money to go to Colorado half our hunting party gets doe tags. I counted 3,200 doe tags this year available thru DFG. They are all either sex hunts. So no doe only hunts. All the hunts were specialty non-general hunts. 2000 of them were either sex archery only specific area a zone hunts like you stated. Small percentage of the over 190,000 deer tags sold every year.

Feral Emu. Interesting I wonder how good they taste.

Good luck this year if you go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting