Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,483,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Gonna get up at 1, drive to the desert and blast a batch before settling in with the Deer opener!
Ah... er... uhm... shouldn't that be "the BEER opener"? [Just kidding!]

I shot dove with my B-i-L in NW Florida many times in the 1970's, at first with a borrowed Sears semi-auto shotgun. I learned that (a) they can be surprisingly difficult to hit, and (b) it takes a whole bunch of 'em to make a meal. I also learned to never trust a borrowed semi-auto shotgun -- it went full-auto on me, knocking my rather ample backside into the mud of a November cornfield. Going thru my mind were the words 'Don't let go - don't let go - don't let go - don't let go!'

All sporting aspects aside, considering the cost of the gas to get there and back, and the cost of the 12-gauge high-brass #9 shells expended, it woulda been a good bit cheaper to buy a few whole chickens and barbecue 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times
Quote:
Gonna get up at 1, drive to the desert and blast a batch before settling in with the Deer opener!
YEE Ouch have fun?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Ah... er... uhm... shouldn't that be "the BEER opener"? [Just kidding!]

I shot dove with my B-i-L in NW Florida many times in the 1970's, at first with a borrowed Sears semi-auto shotgun. I learned that (a) they can be surprisingly difficult to hit, and (b) it takes a whole bunch of 'em to make a meal. I also learned to never trust a borrowed semi-auto shotgun -- it went full-auto on me, knocking my rather ample backside into the mud of a November cornfield. Going thru my mind were the words 'Don't let go - don't let go - don't let go - don't let go!'

All sporting aspects aside, considering the cost of the gas to get there and back, and the cost of the 12-gauge high-brass #9 shells expended, it woulda been a good bit cheaper to buy a few whole chickens and barbecue 'em.

Well thats pretty much is the cost of hunting most game these days. Especially in California. Unless you can walk out your pack porch and shoot something that happens to be trotting or flying by.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,483,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well thats pretty much is the cost of hunting most game these days. Especially in California. Unless you can walk out your pack porch and shoot something that happens to be trotting or flying by.
I've lived in SoCal since 1988, so I feel yer pain bruddah...

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
YEE Ouch have fun?
Well, now the tuner fish are bitin so I see some nights of leaving at 9 PM, that's night time

Then, we get to run all night over a 100 miles South. Some times I wonder:

Why does my wife put up with it
Why do I do it

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 AM

445 posts, read 1,599,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
BUT a whole day without the ole lady nagging/bittching/moaning (not the good kind)

PRICELESS

Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well, now the tuner fish are bitin so I see some nights of leaving at 9 PM, that's night time

Then, we get to run all night over a 100 miles South. Some times I wonder:

Why does my wife put up with it
Why do I do it
Did plenty of that stuff in my 20's and 30's. Now in my 40's I just look forward to our yearly trips out of state for two weeks for Deer and Elk. That seems to satisfy the Wandering Neanderthal hunter in me for most of the year. Now I only hunt or fish if it can be done by the light of day and I can get back home for dinner the same day. Every once in a while I like to do a little night fishing here in the Delta.

After 20+ years of marriage I think that's enough for my wife.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
BUT a whole day without the ole lady nagging/bittching/moaning (not the good kind)

PRICELESS

Maybe you need a tradein or tradeup. LOL

Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 PM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Did plenty of that stuff in my 20's and 30's. Now in my 40's I just look forward to our yearly trips out of state for two weeks for Deer and Elk. That seems to satisfy the Wandering Neanderthal hunter in me for most of the year. Now I only hunt or fish if it can be done by the light of day and I can get back home for dinner the same day. Every once in a while I like to do a little night fishing here in the Delta.

After 20+ years of marriage I think that's enough for my wife.
At first mine had a real issue with me not being home at night. Now, I think she just likes me out of her hair.

Or, she got tired of me sulking around the house because I wasn't in forest or on the big pond. I used to work part time in the back Country but with a recession on I don't get much piece work.

One thing I miss most is my annual trip to CO for bow Elk.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,797,356 times
Well.....in this part of N.C. at least, Opening Day is a social event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting