Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

Dang!!! I have a Ruger single six chambered .41Mag w/6'' barrel, really economical, but mostly because I do my own reloads. Shoots great! Recoil is quite acceptable, very accurate @ 50 yds and has knock-down power that most pro linebackers would envy (this may be a function of 220 gr semi jacketed hollow points) a 12.5 grain load of Blue Dot gives the best accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I appreciate your reply, however, I'm not likely to get into reloading, I don't really need a defensive handgun and if at some point, I do I'm sure 16 rounds of hollow points will suffice, even if they are 9mm in diameter.

Thank you though.
The epic battle, 9mm vs 45ACP

I own them all, several 9mms, 40SW, and last but not least my 1911s. Anyhow, I'm not going to debate which is better, instead I'll just say I would hate to get shot by a 9mm 147 JHP bullet! If it's something you like, I say go for it. Just make sure to buy a reliable firearm and practice...and when you feel you've practiced enough, go practice some more!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The epic battle, 9mm vs 45ACP

I own them all, several 9mms, 40SW, and last but not least my 1911s. Anyhow, I'm not going to debate which is better, instead I'll just say I would hate to get shot by a 9mm 147 JHP bullet! If it's something you like, I say go for it. Just make sure to buy a reliable firearm and practice...and when you feel you've practiced enough, go practice some more!
Haha, yeah I've heard plenty of that argument before, I respect that people have different opinions, to me it's more than enough evidence that police around the world carry 9 mm and the fact that 15 holes in someone tend to do something whether it's a .45 or a .22

Seeing as mont not interested in getting into reloading, it becomes a matter of what you can get over the counter and at what price. I have Cheaper than dirt just a ways up the road, so Federal range ammo for instance goes for around 9-10 a box, at that price I can afford to go through a few boxes, a .45 would've for me, become a "gun safe queen".

In any case, I don't plan on shooting anyone, just paper targets, so it's a bit of a moot point.

What I really wanted to know was exactly how good a deal $770 for a P30 V3 was and whether or not it's one of those deals that don't come around often, I've already settled on caliber.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Regarding gun shows - in my experience you will not find good bargains at gun shows anymore. Particularly for new guns. You may find some used gun bargains here and there. Even ammo is too expensive at the shows.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I went to the Dallas Gun show on Sunday and though we went mostly for the fun of it, I've been jonesing for a 9 mm since I entered upon thy fair US soil.

After goofing around at gun stores here and there, I've come to the conclusion (pending firing them) that, based on grip and how it fits my hand, my best bets are either a Sig with the Elite grips (I think it's called elite), most likely a P226, or a H&K P30 V3, which frankly, I'm beginning to want more, predominantly as it's ambidextrous and I'm left handed (and the wife is right handed).

At the gun show, I found a brand new P30 V3 DA/SA w/safety and two 15 round mags for sale for $770 out the door, I eventually ended up not getting it, mainly cause I haven't fired it yet and I couldn't be 100% sure it's a great fit for me, was this dumb? Looking at what they go for used, I'm beginning to get the feeling it wouldn't have been that much of a problem to get it regardless of what I paid, they seem to sell used for around the same price...

It overall looked great, being displayed it obviously got picked up a lot and there was a tiny little part of the slide at the very from that showed some wear, on the side it was put back down onto the table, but other than that it was in perfect condition from what I could tell.

So tell me gun folks, did I mess up or will I find it as cheap or cheaper elsewhere?

I'm also taking recommendations for a .22 plinker, right now the Ruger Mk. III has the winning bid, but feel free to come with other recommendations, I'm not going to spend much money on that though.

I've seen P30's new for $700 at local shops so I don't think that was much of a deal for a show. I understand your want of the P30. It feels good, looks good and shoots pretty well. I've only run about 50 rounds through one and it felt good. I did have a number of FTE's but that could have just been the ammo. It was stuff my buddy hand laying around from who knows when.

For slightly more money I would step up to the Sig 226. It doesn't have the ambidextrous releases but it is a very solid platform. I have a couple of thousand rounds thru mine so far without a single problem. I did have a couple of FTE's but again it was old ammo from who knows when. Every FTE was in the same box of ammo. Never hand a problem with a single round of new ammo.

As for the .22. I recently bought a S&W 22A. I read good and bad reviews but took a chance as I found one for $150 used. I've put 500 rounds through it and had 6 FTE's. 5 of those were in the first 200 rounds before I cleaned the gun. The last 300 rounds only hand one FTE. I've held the ruger's a few times and they don't fit my hands very well as I have very large hands. The 22A has a larger grip so it works better for me. Also couldn't beat the price as it was half the cost of a closest Ruger I could find.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I've seen P30's new for $700 at local shops so I don't think that was much of a deal for a show. I understand your want of the P30. It feels good, looks good and shoots pretty well. I've only run about 50 rounds through one and it felt good. I did have a number of FTE's but that could have just been the ammo. It was stuff my buddy hand laying around from who knows when.

For slightly more money I would step up to the Sig 226. It doesn't have the ambidextrous releases but it is a very solid platform. I have a couple of thousand rounds thru mine so far without a single problem. I did have a couple of FTE's but again it was old ammo from who knows when. Every FTE was in the same box of ammo. Never hand a problem with a single round of new ammo.

As for the .22. I recently bought a S&W 22A. I read good and bad reviews but took a chance as I found one for $150 used. I've put 500 rounds through it and had 6 FTE's. 5 of those were in the first 200 rounds before I cleaned the gun. The last 300 rounds only hand one FTE. I've held the ruger's a few times and they don't fit my hands very well as I have very large hands. The 22A has a larger grip so it works better for me. Also couldn't beat the price as it was half the cost of a closest Ruger I could find.
Wow, I wish I could find a new P30 for $700 around here, so far I've seen it for $850 and $1200 (yeah, I know), maybe I just need to look more.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
The last one I saw was at Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood park IL. It was about a year ago maybe a little less. They had it in the case for $700 cash price. They charge different amounts depending on how you pay. Credit cards come with a higher cost due to the processing fees. Call them and get the current price on that piece but know what options you want before calling.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
One thing to consider before you make any decision is mag cost and parts availability. I got rid of my USP in .45 about 14 years ago because mags were like $70. HK doesn't care about civilian sales, as such they price their mags at ridiculously high prices.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
FWIW, I have bought a lot of used guns at gun shows, and have had very few issues with them working anything other than just like new.

When I go to a show with serious intent to buy, I try to be there when it first opens, take a quick look around to see if there are any seriously underpriced bargain guns out there, usually not but have got lucky a few times. Then just shop all the different tables, buy some components, ammo, etc.

The next most important time to be on the floor is the last couple of hours on the last day of the show - any gun that I have had an eye on but want a bit lower price, I hit them up one last time, sometimes they do decide to sell to me at my price or close to it rather than carry it to the next show.

Once you have been to a few shows, you will get to know some of the regular vendors. The vast majority of them really want you to be happy with your purchase. I bought an old Winchester bolt action .22 rifle awhile back, and once I handed my money to the guy, he grabbed a box of assorted magazines for this rifle, sorted through them for the one that fit best (remember the Mexican guy in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" select fitting a revolver?). Anyway my point is he didn't have to do that.

You will on occasion have someone trying to unload a gun with a mechanical problem, but it's rare. Word gets around if a vendor makes a habit of that.

Enjoy the freedom to own guns. Consider doing some ISPC shooting if you can find a group locally, although, fair warning, it's quite addictive...

Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks for an informative post Mitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting