Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I like the look of the UBR, but at that pricepoint (which is almost as much as the barrel I'm looking at) I think I would go with the Magpull precision adjustable stock...

I'm trying to build a no-frills, flattop, rifle length in order to learn more about this platform and to see what kind of accuracy I can get for a minimal investment.
........my Magpul ACS on a CMMG Lower gives me a true 15 1/8 inch LOP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........my Magpul ACS on a CMMG Lower gives me a true 15 1/8 inch LOP...
That's good intel. Does it make a difference if you have a rifle or carbine buffer tube?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
That's good intel. Does it make a difference if you have a rifle or carbine buffer tube?
...don't know enough about it to answer your question....the source that sold me the lower, just switched out the 6-way adjustable that was supposed to be on the lower with the ACS.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
On my 6.8 build, I used a Bison Arms barrel, Aero upper, UTG rails (made in USA), UTG low profile gas block, DPMS bolt carrier, Bison bolt, UTG 6 pos stock (USA made), RRA lower, DPMS parts kit and a Triggerworks.com trigger tweaked to 2.5lbs.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 AM

50 posts, read 70,376 times
I highly recommend you read this article on the 6.8 SPC development. 6.8 mm SPC Cartridge History & Development. Hornady's Ammunition. The Stag Carbine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGKR
Just like making sure your AR15 has a true 5.56 mm chamber and proper barrel twist, it is also important in 6.8 mm to use the original AMU/"Murray" chamber (also known as SPCII) as the Remington SAAMI spec chamber is too "tight" (like a .223 chamber). For most uses, 1/11 or 1/12 barrel twists with the superior 3 or 5 groove pattern are optimal, as 1/10 6 groove barrels can needlessly increase pressure and reduce velocity. The exception is with very short barrels, where a faster twist may be necessary to ensure proper rotational velocity for optimal upset with some loadings.
There is absolutely no reason to go to a 20" barrel unless you like needless additional weight and length to impede your movement. I would recommend the 16" barrel based on what you've written thus far.

SSA 2nd generation 115 gr SMK OTM w/cannelure, 5 shot averages:

20†barrel: ave vel = 2561 fps; 10 fps extreme spread

16†barrel: ave vel = 2525 fps; 18 fps extreme spread -- lost 36 fps from 20"

12.5†barrel: ave vel = 2384 fps; 12 fps extreme spread -- lost 141 fps from 16"

10†barrel: ave vel = 2265 fps; 27 fps extreme spread -- lost 119 fps from 12.5"

7.5†barrel: ave vel = 2035 fps; 27 fps extreme spread -- lost 230 fps from 10"

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM

As an update I thought I would share an experience that may or may not be useful to others in my position:

First, I didn't need any tools other than a boxcutter, a curved hemostat (needle nose pliers would have been fine, I just found the hemostat to be handier) and a pair of vise-grips with moleskin stuck on the jaws. Maybe I just got lucky, but I think that the vise-grips are a better mousetrap for installing roll-pins than a set of punches. I would have needed three or four hands with the punches and I think my risk of breaking the ears off of the trigger housing would have been much greater.

Second, if you don't lose a front takedown-pin during the lower receiver assembly then you are (i) really lucky, (ii) a vascular surgeon or (iii) should have been a vascular surgeon. I shot the first one about 20 feet across the room, heard it hit a window and so had a decent idea of its location but couldn't find it even with the help of a rare-earth magnet. Spike's was nice enough to give me an extra. I launched another one with my second attempt, but had the presence of mind to point everything at my chest and so easily recovered it. Third time was the charm.

The 15 dollar trigger with a regular LPK sucks. I would rather target shoot with my 870. I've been dicking around with it, but I can only get it to suck a little bit less so far. I've watched a multitude of videos on Youtube regarding the subject, I've experimented to the edge of my comfort level after sifting through the information available but I still have a crappy trigger..

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 10-12-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
The 15 dollar trigger with a regular LPK sucks. I would rather target shoot with my 870. I've been dicking around with it, but I can only get it to suck a little bit less so far. I've watched a multitude of videos on Youtube regarding the subject, I've experimented to the edge of my comfort level after sifting through the information available but I still have a crappy trigger..
Just a suggestion based on my experiences with a number of different trigger assemblies; Save yourself a lot of trouble and muttered curses. Buy a Geissele SSA-E trigger. It's not an inexpensive fix but it will reward your dollars spent with a supremely reliable trigger that offers a consistently good pull.

Geissele Automatics - Quality Triggers for the Warfighter and Competitor - Super Semi-Automatic (Enhanced)

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Just a suggestion based on my experiences with a number of different trigger assemblies; Save yourself a lot of trouble and muttered curses. Buy a Geissele SSA-E trigger. It's not an inexpensive fix but it will reward your dollars spent with a supremely reliable trigger that offers a consistently good pull.

Geissele Automatics - Quality Triggers for the Warfighter and Competitor - Super Semi-Automatic (Enhanced)
I have little doubt that you are exactly right, but I'm just not there yet and refuse to learn the easy way.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
I've built quite a few, but honestly these days, you can get a complete, ready to pin an upper on, lower reciever from Plum Crazy firearms, for about $100. No building needed. Yes, they're made out of polymer, Vs aluminum that is the norm, but so are millions of other guns. I've bought and used 3 of them, and have had no issues whatsoever. And they give you a no questions asked lifetime guarantee. I've got over 5000 rounds on the first one I bought and so far, no issues.

I wouldn't go pinning on a .50 BMG upper, but anything besides that, I'm sure it'd be fine.
PlumCrazy C-15 Composite Lower

Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
The 15 dollar trigger with a regular LPK sucks. .
Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net
Bill tweaked my DPMS trigger for a 2.5 lb pull and added the speed hammer option. I like it better than the 2 stage RRA trigger on my wife's AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting