Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Sorry - guess I'm just not making myself clear....my remarks were directed towards those talking about the issues, not you.

I took it that this wasn't a primary carry gun for you based on some of your earlier comments, so if you DO have problems with it, it'll be at the range - so that won't be of issue for you if happens. I have several "fun guns" that I'd NEVER consider using for SD, but it doesn't make 'em any less fun to shoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry - guess I'm just not making myself clear....my remarks were directed towards those talking about the issues, not you.

I took it that this wasn't a primary carry gun for you based on some of your earlier comments, so if you DO have problems with it, it'll be at the range - so that won't be of issue for you if happens. I have several "fun guns" that I'd NEVER consider using for SD, but it doesn't make 'em any less fun to shoot!
Well, Tex, sometimes what I write and what I mean are different...I never meant to irritate you or get under your skin....

This is not going to be a primary carry weapon....just a fun gun to shoot, if needed....it will be accessible, as will others in the house....

Sorry again....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Nothing to apologize for - it was *I* who failed to make myself clear as to whom the remarks were directed to!!

I know - let's blame it on a mod.....<g,d&rlh>

Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I honestly don't have a lot of confidence in Kel-Tec, particularly this model...not after one blew on my friend.

More info here:
My PMR-30 blew up. * - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum

I was unaware of this problem with the PMR-30. What concerns me more is the fact that the post is only a few months old so this could still be an issue and Kel-Tec is not known for handling issues quickly (90 day turn around on my .380 for a feed issue and the problem was not solved). That said I have had a .40 cal Glock 27 explode in my hand blowing the entire slide off the gun and cutting a 2 inch long gash in my right hand.. Also have a friend who's G19 fired out of battery. Glock took my gun back and refunded my purchase price no questions asked. They never admitted it was the guns fault but actions speak louder than words. Obviously turned us off to Glocks... Been shooting Sig's and Rugers since.

I will say that in 30-40K rounds fired in my life time I've only had one explosion. I did have a Beretta 92F that malfunctioned and would fire when you dropped the slide after loading. The first time that happened it was hugely entertaining and I almost needed a change of undies. Thankfully it was pointed down range. Guess my point is even the "best" have issues but this would cause me to return my PMR-30

Last edited by johna01374; 09-08-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I was unaware of this problem with the PMR-30. What concerns me more is the fact that the post is only a few months old so this could still be an issue and Kel-Tec is not known for handling issues quickly (90 day turn around on my .380 for a feed issue and the problem was not solved). That said I have had a .40 cal Glock 27 explode in my hand blowing the entire slide off the gun and cutting a 2 inch long gash in my right hand.. Also have a friend who's G19 fired out of battery. Glock took my gun back and refunded my purchase price no questions asked. They never admitted it was the guns fault but actions speak louder than words. Obviously turned us off to Glocks... Been shooting Sig's and Rugers since.

I will say that in 30-40K rounds fired in my life time I've only had one explosion. I did have a Beretta 92F that malfunctioned and would fire when you dropped the slide after loading. The first time that happened it was hugely entertaining and I almost needed a change of undies. Thankfully it was pointed down range. Guess my point is even the "best" have issues but this would cause me to return my PMR-30

John, are you saying that "if" you had one of these pistols...and then seen the video...you would return the gun?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
John, are you saying that "if" you had one of these pistols...and then seen the video...you would return the gun?

That is correct. For the record I do not own one of these guns. My only .22 is an S&W 22A. While it is true that we don't know what the condition of that gun before it exploded the problem seems to be wide spread. Kel-Tec has even suspended production of the gun stating it had "keyholing issues".

I know first hand that even a perfectly maintained gun can explode but they seem to be common for this model along with several other issues.

If I owned one of these guns I would try to return it to the manufacturer. I would feel bad selling it to someone or even to a dealer knowing it might end up in another persons hands and they could be injured with it.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That is correct. For the record I do not own one of these guns. My only .22 is an S&W 22A. While it is true that we don't know what the condition of that gun before it exploded the problem seems to be wide spread. Kel-Tec has even suspended production of the gun stating it had "keyholing issues".

I know first hand that even a perfectly maintained gun can explode but they seem to be common for this model along with several other issues.

If I owned one of these guns I would try to return it to the manufacturer. I would feel bad selling it to someone or even to a dealer knowing it might end up in another persons hands and they could be injured with it.

What findings do you know that most of us do not have about about this pistol?

You have not heard of this before,
Quote:
I was unaware of this problem with the PMR-30.
but yet you would base your decision on a few posts and video?

Then what are your thoughts on the Remington 700?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM

I base my decision on the dozens of posts I read of reoccurring problems with this model. If these were simple fail to feed or eject then my judgement would be much less severe. I've read 3 different post of this gun blowing up dated several weeks apart all dated this year presumably from different posters on different boards.

I have no experience with the remmington nor have looked into it. When I read the OPs first post The idea of a 30 shot .22 was intriguing so I decided to look further. I had found numerous reports of all the common .22 problems then checked back here and found The explosion link. Looking further there are other reports of The same type of explosion.

Everyone is free to make their own choices. I'm simply stating my opinion and what I would do if I was in the OPs situation having just ordered this model

Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I base my decision on the dozens of posts I read of reoccurring problems with this model. If these were simple fail to feed or eject then my judgement would be much less severe. I've read 3 different post of this gun blowing up dated several weeks apart all dated this year presumably from different posters on different boards.

I have no experience with the remmington nor have looked into it. When I read the OPs first post The idea of a 30 shot .22 was intriguing so I decided to look further. I had found numerous reports of all the common .22 problems then checked back here and found The explosion link. Looking further there are other reports of The same type of explosion.

Everyone is free to make their own choices. I'm simply stating my opinion and what I would do if I was in the OPs situation having just ordered this model
Nope, I have no disrespect for your opinion......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting