Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

I was wondering when the Elk Hunter was going to finally get here.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I'd like to see more discussion on carry positions, holsters, belts, etc. One note for the OP on carryng - be prepared to collect a sizable holster collection before you find "the right one". Everyone that carries seems to have a drawer full of holsters before they find one they like (or like me they rotate from IWB to OWB or even non-concealed based on the season, event, clothing needed, duty assignment, etc.

Last edited by Dd714; 09-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'd like to see more discussion on carry positions, holsters, belts, etc. One note for the OP on carryng - be prepared to collect a sizable holster collection before you find "the right one". Everyone that carries seems to have a drawer full of holsters before they find one they like (or like me they rotate from IWB to OWB or event non-concealed based on the season, even, clothing needed, duty assignment, etc.
That's a very good point. Like me, I have a CCW and carry 100% of the time that I am outside my front door. A variety of reasons cause me to carry, different weapons so I too have a large selection of holsters and will switch depending on weapon and attire.

I live along the face of the mountains. I have encountered (within 30 ft), moose, elk, deer, black bears, mountain lions and rattle snakes, quite often. If I am going to be working around the place, I'll lean toward heavier caliber .45 in a 1911 Springfield. If I am going to be in town all day or traveling, I'll pack my .40 cal S&W. Much easier to conceal, has all the knockdown I need or should encounter.

I might add that the state I live in, no CCW is needed to carry concealed. We also have open carry. However, I prefer that nobody know's I am carrying, in any situation. I also like the reciprocacy of other states. So I maintain my CCW.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
I have been pleased with CrossBreed holsters for CCWs. YMMV, of course.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
That, my friend, comes close to being a personal opinion. I don't think anyone here is advocating "accepting a downgrade for poverty's or laziness' sake". Instead, I think the motto being expressed is more like "Make the best of what you've got."

Speaking only for me, I would absolutely HATE to confront my wife even if she's armed only with a .22LR pistol, 'cause she's surely gonna eat my lunch for me. Now, I don't arm her with a .22LR, but with a Smith & Wesson Model 19 loaded with .38 +P rounds. The hide of anyone who dares confront her in our domicile is gonna get amply ventilated...

Like Jeff Cooper said, "The gunfight isn't won by the first shot, but by the first hit." And like Massad Ayoob quoted, "I'd rather be missed with a .45 than hit with a .22!"

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Then the answer is to learn to hit with that .45, and these self-induced compromises disappear.

Some in this thread appear to be advocating a .22 in a defend-your-life situation because 'its easier to shoot', or 'the Mafia uses .22s' (OMG I laughed hard at that one!). That's what I disagree with.

I certainly agree that if a .22 is all you have, use it - it can do the job, if a lot of factors fall into place. If all I have is a brick, a shoe, a pan, a broken bottle....its all coming into play if I can get to them. But should I build a plan around making it more difficult for myself?

I would never start with a .22 weapon as a goal. If you honestly think you may need to defend you very life with a handgun, it makes sense to stack the odds in your favor from the start. That means a credible caliber, in a good-quality weapon, effective cartridges, anchored by serious training and practice. There's no reason to handicap yourself with a marginal caliber when there are better choices.

That's why I put the 'poverty/lazy' stuff in....people often say they want a defense piece, but they rationalize excuses on not training, or taking it seriously, ammos too expensive, it kicks too hard, or whatever - they toss it in a drawer for years and they think its a magical scroll that protects them forever. They 'want a gun', but they don't want to invest in everything else that would make them a responsible gun owner - not someone with a dimly-understood $400 trinket that magically kills people.

I am, however, going to sell all my guns and replace them with icepicks....because I read somewhere on the Internet that the Mossad once killed a Palestinian double-agent with an icepick.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Then the answer is to learn to hit with that .45, and these self-induced compromises disappear.

Some in this thread appear to be advocating a .22 in a defend-your-life situation because 'its easier to shoot', or 'the Mafia uses .22s' (OMG I laughed hard at that one!). That's what I disagree with.

I certainly agree that if a .22 is all you have, use it - it can do the job, if a lot of factors fall into place. If all I have is a brick, a shoe, a pan, a broken bottle....its all coming into play if I can get to them. But should I build a plan around making it more difficult for myself?

I would never start with a .22 weapon as a goal. If you honestly think you may need to defend you very life with a handgun, it makes sense to stack the odds in your favor from the start. That means a credible caliber, in a good-quality weapon, effective cartridges, anchored by serious training and practice. There's no reason to handicap yourself with a marginal caliber when there are better choices.

That's why I put the 'poverty/lazy' stuff in....people often say they want a defense piece, but they rationalize excuses on not training, or taking it seriously, ammos too expensive, it kicks too hard, or whatever - they toss it in a drawer for years and they think its a magical scroll that protects them forever. They 'want a gun', but they don't want to invest in everything else that would make them a responsible gun owner - not someone with a dimly-understood $400 trinket that magically kills people.

I am, however, going to sell all my guns and replace them with icepicks....because I read somewhere on the Internet that the Mossad once killed a Palestinian double-agent with an icepick.
It's post's like this one that absoutley run people away from gun forums.....You have 1 person who has to have the biggest and badest and no matter WHAT anyone thinks or says....it does not matter....

Bricks or a shoe....I'll tell ya what, you take a brink and a shoe and I'll take my little old 22/45 and lets see who wins....Hell, I'll even give you 10 brick, cause that's all my .22 will hold.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I could do the same with a cross-draw holster, without having to bend over to touch my ankle. The hip region seems the most sensible area to conceal it, but I'm worried about how comfortable it'll be to sit down. Once I find my gun, I can try out a number of positions to find out, but I'm curious about the popular ones first.

Also, does anyone here carry it in their crotch at all? I imagine an LCP would fit there.
A cross-draw holster won't be very well concealed, but it would be worth having while you're driving. Clothing tends to drape over that space around the small of your back and just behind the hip. A good holster will keep the gun high on your belt and tight against your body. It's quite comfortable sitting down because you don't lean directly on it. You feel it, but it's a comforting little lump reminding you that you could stop a shooting spree if the s.o.b. came your way.

The only time mine felt uncomfortable was in the driver's seat of my wife's Grand Cherokee and even that was only on a long drive. Something about the way the seat was bolstered and padded made it dig into my side. I've sat in other well-bolstered, bucket seats and felt fine. I do wear my shoulder holster on long road trips, however. A gun on your hip is not very accessable while your driving with a seat belt on.

I've never tried to carry in my crotch, but if I wore a kilt every day, I suppose it could work. I'd have to learn to play a bag pipe, though.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Some in this thread appear to be advocating a .22 in a defend-your-life situation because 'its easier to shoot', or 'the Mafia uses .22s' (OMG I laughed hard at that one!).
Hey Barney (fitting name) - The mafia comment was by me - I thought I made it very clear I offered it for trivia purposes only, not as part of a defense on what to carry. I'm the same person that people were calling out for arguing against small caliber weapons.
But this topic has moved on to another thread, at insistence of the moderator. But, please don't misquote or take my posts out of context. It's not appreciated and you do not serve your point when you do that.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
A cross-draw holster won't be very well concealed, but it would be worth having while you're driving.
A cross draw is easy for someone you may be trying to constrain to grab your gun from. Just a thought. I haven't found a holster I'm happy with as yet. Still looking.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
May I humbly recommend Bill Jordan's (William H. Jordan) "No Second Place Winner". That is from his chapter on fast draw techniques. To save you a Google, he was a famous lawman and the quick draw master of an earlier age.
Know of him, and his work, quite well. Excellent recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting