Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Embolden I believe is the word you are looking for OP.

Proficiency through practice and training.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Think how you wish to think. Living on your knees soon becomes painful. Isn't that why you bought a gun? Too many gun owners, just as others, love to pontificate, thinking that they're spouting wisdom. Listen, consider, evaluate, If you wish to have legal answers, find an attorney who's a former prosecutor and pay him for an hour. Neither the flatfoot nor the gunshop commando is the appropriate source for legal or philosophical advice. For the latter you must rely only on yourself.
Yes think what you want, what ever makes you feel better....

If something happens, (and I sure hope nothing does)....the last thing you want to do/say in front of a judge is.......

"But on this website, they said....." or "well this guy on the phone said"

I don't care what experience you have....not even if they may happen to be a lawyer....

Many many people try to help people out and "spout" wisdom.....

Old 09-17-2011, 02:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Quite the original idea. Checked the prices out and they are not expensive. I wonder who I could get to install that for me.
You can do this yourself.

Just go to a farm supply store, buy a fencer, wire and isolators.

The folks at the store will tell you how.

It is cheap fencing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KL2Y4O/...SIN=B000KL2Y4O

You can do this for under $150.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Embolden I believe is the word you are looking for OP.

Proficiency through practice and training.
Sorry, in my mind to embolden means to give oneself an overzealous stance towards things. It means IMO to give oneself more courage and then act on it than might be wise. I really did mean empower, but then it's most likely because I grew up with that language and to me it means become equal or as strong as - rise to the level of the occasion, IOW.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You can do this yourself.

Just go to a farm supply store, buy a fencer, wire and isolators.

The folks at the store will tell you how.

It is cheap fencing.

Amazon.com: Zareba A5 5 Mile AC Solid State Charger: Patio, Lawn & Garden

You can do this for under $150.
Trust me, you're smarter than me at this stuff. Besides, we share a common block wall so it would be a tad bit hard to hide. But thanks for the thoughts and link!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
I'm wondering how long it takes to feel this way. I must admit I am much more comfortable with the concept of a gun in my house than I thought I would be. Granted, my pepper spray and portable alarm will have to do for awhile, but at least it is something.

At any rate, I've been up all night trying to get the guys who scale my wall on camera. Too late. They were here earlier. I am wondering if I still have a pool cleaner in my pool and I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours. I so want to get those SOBs in action that maybe tomorrow night I just start my surveillance way earlier.

I do have the gun by me for some reason, even though it is not loaded and no magazine is nearby. Sort of makes me feel a wee bit more secure even though I would not use it. I am armed, as I said above, with the spray and alarm and phone and alarm fob (and camera of course). I'm really starting to get angry and don't even care if they see the flash. As soon as they do, I hit the panic button on the alarm system and dial 911.

At any rate, I know your mileage will vary, but when did just having it around, even if not loaded, start to make you feel a little more secure (if this applies to you at all). BTW, I know I tend to share a lot of info, but this situation is what led to my getting a gun so it's sort of wrapped up in the whole deal. Focus is guns, guns, guns and how you felt and what your journey was like. Anyone care to share?

The gun didn't make me feel secure. The acquistion of the mindset not to be a "victim", practicing situational awarness, mastering firearms safety until it is deeply etched into my consciousness and engrained into my very muscle memory, and mastering the use of the firearm until it and its function became a seemingly natural extention of my own body, made me comfortable with my decision to take on the responsibility of owning a firearm for self defense.

If an empty gun makes you feel secure then you are tied to a false sense of security. I'd say the same if the firearm were loaded.

Security is not a "feeling"; rather, it is a well devised plan created through knowledge and placed into action, IMO. YMMV.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Sorry, in my mind to embolden means to give oneself an overzealous stance towards things. It means IMO to give oneself more courage and then act on it than might be wise. I really did mean empower, but then it's most likely because I grew up with that language and to me it means become equal or as strong as - rise to the level of the occasion, IOW.
Sorry, you need to be embolden before you can become empowered. You need courage and confidence before you can take charge.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I must be weird because I'm not afraid of much. I'm not afraid of dying, more afraid of getting some disease that will turn my brain to jello and still be alive while it's happening. A gun just lets me kill whatever needs killing, faster.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sorry, you need to be embolden before you can become empowered. You need courage and confidence before you can take charge.
Well, we can discuss semantics but I have a different definition for embolden than you do. Now, maybe you're right, and google would tell. I think the process of becoming empowered is when you gain courage and self confidence. Then you can take charge. Or, I think all of this can happen at the same time. I don't think it's a linear process. Just being in this subforum I have learned a lot and feel a teeny, tiny bit different than I did before, but it's like being an infant for me. At times the more I read the less I want to actually move forward and sort of wish I could return the gun I bought, but then I know the police are not going to save me so I am back at square one. The only way out is through.

I think a lot of things have hit me in the last year - you can know people for years and they betray you, you can have a false sense of security that nothing bad will ever happen to you, and then one day you wake up and realize that if anyone is going to take care of you, it's going to be you. (not you you) No one else.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
The internet leaves a trail, as you have left, you have left a trail with calling LEO....think planned and premediated....Lock your doors and go to bed, keep the gun in your room, or that is where I keep one, but don't let your dogs in front of it....JMO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting