Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
? I don't understand your plan, but that doesn't matter. I thought your property was being vandalized. I don't think a gun (to shoot a vandal) is appropriate.

Install motion detector lighting. If someone is coming onto your property, they will refrain from doing so when a spotlight hits them in the face. You can also get night-vision (infrared) security cameras at Radio Shack. Hook it up to a DVD player (it must be able to record as well). If someone is coming onto your property, you will get it on DVD and you can show the police. And also, the flash on a camera will not capture something past a certain (short) distance.
I was only looking at about 15 feet or so. I do have motion sensors, which is practically what I was counting on to keep me awake but let's remember it was a Saturday night, so I am not surprised no one came. As far as security cameras, already tried the more or less DIY route. I am not good at installing things and I bought what seemed to be a good system at Costco and could not find anyone to install it for me. Tried Craig's list and people just flaked. The big companies want big money.

Also, I did test out the camera several times on the area I focused on and it worked fine - no flash and maybe a bit on the dark side, but definitely would have proved someone or someones were here. I wasn't willing for someone to see any flash so I found a workaround for that.

No, to shoot a vandal is never appropriate. And I can handle mischief in terms of vandalism. I don't like it, but I put it into perspective. Now, if someone were to roll one of those boulders I have next to the pool into my pool I'd have a serious issue with it.

It's not just been about vandalism, rather trying to hurt and poison my dogs. I draw the line there. I think I'll put a FSBO sign in my front yard and maybe he'll back off. Oh, and should know on Tuesday whether it looks like my trees are going to be killed off too, as a consultant is coming out here. I give up. Things are what they are and I just need to move. I had almost eight years of peace in this house and that's a lot more than many can say. Depending on where I end up, guns may not even be allowed, so yet another reason to just bring it back.

Oh, and one of my HUGE concerns? Disclosure when I sell (if I can sell). In this state one is required to disclose any nuisance to a buyer and if not disclosed, buyer can sue down the road. So now I have to see a real estate attorney too to get advice. What a mess.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 09-18-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Most states will lock you up if you shoot a vandal outside. As they would for shooting someone you suspect of poisoning your animals. There are exceptions, though

This whole thread has cracked me up since you started it, mostly because you also started this one awhile back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...nvenience.html

Had to leave for a few minutes.

It's already been pointed out, but empowered is the last thing you should feel with a firearm. I don't remember learning how to shoot, it seems that I've always had a .22 or a 16 gauge or a Winchester around that could be used for hunting. To me, and most others growing up in rural areas, a firearm is a tool like a hammer or saw. No more and no less.

I don't conceal carry, although I could secure a permit to do so if I wanted, but I have open carried in some situations. Those were Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles, though.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most states will lock you up if you shoot a vandal outside. As they would for shooting someone you suspect of poisoning your animals. There are exceptions, though

This whole thread has cracked me up since you started it, mostly because you also started this this one awhile back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...nvenience.html
This is just funny, I wonder if all the people who have commented in this thread and misty threads will comment about this....................

Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This is just funny, I wonder if all the people who have commented in this thread and misty threads will comment about this....................
I have said this to Misty before and I will say it again.

Misty has more trouble than anyone I ever heard of.

From family to neighbours to contractors and employees.

It amazes me......

Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
An empty pistol would never make me feel 'empowered'. It would make me feel foolish. Rather have a brick - I can throw a brick fairly well.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have said this to Misty before and I will say it again.

Misty has more trouble than anyone I ever heard of.

From family to neighbours to contractors and employees.

It amazes me......
First of all, this guy moved here. I've been in this neighborhood for eight years with no problems. Second, I am sure (no, I know) I am not the only one with contractor stories. Just google on something like contractors from hell. What's that thing they say about family? You can't pick 'em. Employees? No, just one sociopath who ruined me, that's all, although I will admit I hate catty ******* and I have worked with a few of those.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
An empty pistol would never make me feel 'empowered'. It would make me feel foolish. Rather have a brick - I can throw a brick fairly well.
OMG, so many people hung up on that word empowered I can't believe it. No wonder I have changed my mind and declared myself (just me) not a gun person. It's fine if you are, but it really does reflect a difference in mindsets when one word can distinguish a group that I'd call gun lovers from one who views them more like auto insurance policies.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Well, this thread has taken twists and turns and gone off topic and around and around. Time to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting