Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Its a hang on stand. a Summit I think, but I have a bunch & they all work good. I get to it with one of those slip together ladders & they both stay up for the season. Here that means they'll be there until Jan 31th. I have a couple climbers too & a ladder stand but I use the hang ons much more than the others. The climbers bother me setting them up. Its just me I think since I'v killed many deer from them but it drives me nuts trying to be silent setting them up. Ladder stands attract people otherwise I'd use more of them. Most of my bowhunting is suburban, the property I took yesterdays buck from is just shy of 3 acres and it borders a couple thousand acres of town & water company land that nobody hunts. But people do walk around in there and I'v found people in my ladder stands before. I'm on private land but that dont matter, people think all the woods are public alot. Anyway they dont seem to notice the hang ons, or at least they leave them alone.
I hunt alot from pop up blinds too & found a bunch of empty beers in one once. I pretty much need to pattern the neighbors as much as the deer.

One of them back yard bucks I see.

In Meeker, Colorado next to our favorite deer huntin zone, the mule deer bucks walk right down the middle of the street at night. My buddies and I came out of a grocery store one night after heading in for supplies and there was three 4x4's feeding on the lawn next to the parking lot about 20 yards from the vehicles.

Good thing beer cans was all you found in that pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
One of them back yard bucks I see.

In Meeker, Colorado next to our favorite deer huntin zone, the mule deer bucks walk right down the middle of the street at night. My buddies and I came out of a grocery store one night after heading in for supplies and there was three 4x4's feeding on the lawn next to the parking lot about 20 yards from the vehicles.

Good thing beer cans was all you found in that pop up.
Yes & no to the backyard buck thing. They tend to stop wandering in the open by the time theyre 2 1/2 or so if they make it that far. Theyre pretty smart critters & once they start getting killed they figure it out pretty quick.
I had a couple spots in town that I could about walk out & just shoot them, but it only works once a season usually. A lady I diid some work for talked me into setting up in a flower bed. I kept putting her off, only an acre & a 20' thick green belt between properties means the deer arent going to die on her land. But I was there with her one day & as we watched a group of does came in & started eating her shrubs & bulbs. I tossed a couple of stones at thm but they didn't care much about that.
So I set a pop up in her flower bed. Walked out the next morning & I could see 6 deer watching me climb right in the blind. They walked in a big circle to see if I was behind it. When they couldn't find me they got over it & started eating bushes. I stuck one & 6 deer ran away. I watched mine fall in the greenbelt and lit a cirgerette to let it die. As I sat there 5 came back so I shot another one. That one made it a couple yards away but nobody got upset with me. But that was it for the year there. They still came every night but never in daylight. I took 2 deer a year out of there for 3 years & one year even got a 6 point. But the next door lady started busting my chops so I stopped taking them from there. It wasn't hunting anyway, just gathering.

These days I have better spots, all adjacent to undeveloped areas and its much more rewarding.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
Quote:
How about you Moose hunters? I know there is a few that read this board.

Sure if I could ever draw a moose tag in Montana-been putting in for over 20 years now and nothing yet-still waiting on Bison results.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Yes & no to the backyard buck thing. They tend to stop wandering in the open by the time theyre 2 1/2 or so if they make it that far. Theyre pretty smart critters & once they start getting killed they figure it out pretty quick.
I had a couple spots in town that I could about walk out & just shoot them, but it only works once a season usually. A lady I diid some work for talked me into setting up in a flower bed. I kept putting her off, only an acre & a 20' thick green belt between properties means the deer arent going to die on her land. But I was there with her one day & as we watched a group of does came in & started eating her shrubs & bulbs. I tossed a couple of stones at thm but they didn't care much about that.
So I set a pop up in her flower bed. Walked out the next morning & I could see 6 deer watching me climb right in the blind. They walked in a big circle to see if I was behind it. When they couldn't find me they got over it & started eating bushes. I stuck one & 6 deer ran away. I watched mine fall in the greenbelt and lit a cirgerette to let it die. As I sat there 5 came back so I shot another one. That one made it a couple yards away but nobody got upset with me. But that was it for the year there. They still came every night but never in daylight. I took 2 deer a year out of there for 3 years & one year even got a 6 point. But the next door lady started busting my chops so I stopped taking them from there. It wasn't hunting anyway, just gathering.

These days I have better spots, all adjacent to undeveloped areas and its much more rewarding.
I hate you.

Not really. Just envious.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Back from the gym. Ugly nasty cardio and leg work out. Count down 30 days until Zero hour.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
T minus 4 days for me. Muzzleloader season comes early 'round these here parts.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
Big Game Photo's and Stories is the name of the Game. I wont be deer/elk hunting till the end of October in Colorado so nothing yet from me. Any one else?
How about some fins to go with your horns?

Yeah Bulldog it's the Delta

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
How about some fins to go with your horns?

Yeah Bulldog it's the Delta
AWESOME!!!!

Whew that's a hog big boy. Yeah I could tell it was the Delta by them cattails and levee behind you.

Very Nice BassMan, Very Nice. Got an interesting story to go along with that Lunker?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
About the only reason I miss Ca...the delta fishing, the So,cal fishing..

Great pix. HW

Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Talking Fall in NM

Fall in NM. These boy's were just across the road from me. Also saw about 8 in the draw that were from 5x5 down to forked horn all still in the velvet..

Elk pix next...

HW Happy trails,
Attached Thumbnails
Fall/Winter 2011 Big Game Campfire Thread- Postem up Here!-011.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting