Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

616 posts, read 854,175 times

Advertisements

He can have a drop tine but no broken antlers. I would love to hit one during velvet but I know that's like catching a bb in the dark, but I want one. and I need you trophy hunters that have already knocked down a monster to get me the 411 on what state? what time of year? and any good outfitters that can put me on top of a monster 10 pointer.

p.s.- I plan to harvest most of the meat for the homeless but I'm mounting the head.

let me know guys. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I have not bagged a "monster" so far, but, probably parts of most states have at least a few big deer. Where are you now, what region, and how do you want to hunt? Do you want to hire a guide? Do you want a Western style horseback hunt?

Many states with really good hunting charge a pretty hefty fee for an out of state license. Odds are there are at least parts of your home state where you can find big deer.

Any of the hunting/shooting magazines out there will have info for you on where some people have found big bucks, and ads from guides.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
I have only shot 1 big buck, field dressed 220ish lbs.....8 pointer, 21 ish inside spread...

But, it's been so long, get away, I read an article about public land, they were taking very nice deer.

Many more questions need to be answered....

If you have the money go to Saskatchewan.....

Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
He can have a drop tine but no broken antlers. I would love to hit one during velvet but I know that's like catching a bb in the dark, but I want one. and I need you trophy hunters that have already knocked down a monster to get me the 411 on what state? what time of year? and any good outfitters that can put me on top of a monster 10 pointer.

p.s.- I plan to harvest most of the meat for the homeless but I'm mounting the head.

let me know guys. thanks
How do you plan to harvest most of the meat for the homeless and why would you do that? (I mean, I'm not homeless and I need high quality protein with lots of high-density lipoprotein)

What species?

You already live in one of the best states for deer hunting (probably not this year, though).

Are you looking for a canned hunt or are you willing to put some work into it?

You can buy a trophy buck hunt in just about any state, probably don't need to go to Saskatoon - just Kingsville.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
They seem to grow big ones in the mid-west. But for most of us its not really like shopping. You need to spend big bucks to be sure of getting a great buck. Or just get lucky & know where one is.
If you bowhunt getting one in velvet isn't hard in the right places. Find a state that opens in early Sept & you should find bucks in velvet, but how big is anybodies guess. I never worried about rack size much but it took many seasons before I started seeing & bagging mature bucks on ocasion. Its not a real easy thing to do on your own.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
You want a guaranteed big buck and have big bucks go to one of those big Texas ranches

Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Several states consistently produce monster Mulies- Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

The consistently largest deer both whitetail and mule deer do come from Saskatchewan.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Alaska will spice up any hunting trip, they have all sorts of very large animals.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Pa deer can be the size of a horse in farm country. Finding a big rack is hit or miss, though. The state has heavy hunting pressure. You'd have to spend the time spotlighting( and you will have to know the local ordinances and not be a nuisance) to find a big one and then you'd have to find out if the land nearby is posted( it probably is). Then you ask the owners for permission to hunt and take your chances. If its a farmer he might be okay with it if you present yourself well.
But the state has LOTS of state gamelands and you can hunt here without worry. A word of caution, though. The southeastern game lands draw urbanites from the bigger cities and they can get a little over enthusiastic ( I. E. They act like idiots).

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You must be located East of the Missouri. West of the Missouri, we count only one side. The dominant side. So if you shoot a buck with 6 points on one side and 5 on the other, it is not an eleven point. It is a 6 point.

Wyoming has some great hunting as 55% of the state is state owned land and free for hunting. If you are in the mountains, you must be accompanied by a guide. But the rest of the state, you can do your own hunting.

This state owned land is leased to farmers and ranchers so you have to treat it like it's private. Those ranchers may be running cattle on it. So it's always a good idea to stop, have a cup of coffee, and let them know your intentions. But being state land, they cannot refuse you. Doesn't mean you can make demands. Be polite and you'll make a bond with the rancher that will last for years to come.

A 6 point muley, dressed over 200 is common. I've seen 7 and 8 point, Boon and Crockets taken within 5 miles of Sheridan.

Plenty of lodging in Sheridan. Lots of outfitters around, should you want one. Several hunting lodges if you want to go that way.

I might add that several large ranches (40,000+ acres) have handicapped hunts where they only allow handicapped or disabled on their property for the first week of season. Also, a lot of ranches only allow trophy hunting for the first week and then open it up for all.

In Wyoming, your deer tag comes in 3 parts. One part, you will mail in. One part you roll up and insert into a slit in the skin and it stays with the animal. The third part you take to the land owner and give it to him and thank him for allowing you to hunt. At the end of season, the land owner can take all of those to Game and Fish and he is paid, per deer, for allowing game management to be conducted on his property. A great incentive that keeps our hunting grounds open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting