Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Haw - you & Mac are mere kids! I'll be 67 next month.

Wish I had a Model 62 - an original one, not those Rossi copies.
......Hey SocPro.......

So I don't get nailed for being off topic, I'll mention that I did some quail hunting back in 1978 down around Karnes City and over by Kerrville.

But when I saw that "ole ScoPro" was from Round Rock, I had to mention that I stayed overnight there back in November of 1978 on my way home from Karnes City on my way up through Ardmore, OK (to do a little more bird huntin') then continue on north. (Had to get back in time to catch the end of elk & deer season.).

I'd been down at Karnes City since May of that year involved with the construction of the Chevron Resources Uranium Mill (The Panna Marie Mill).....stayed almost 5 1/2 months at a "neat" old Motel (The Safari Motel) actually located in Kennedy, TX & owned by a local, born and bred Texan by the name of Harvey Payne. (Funny "Side Note": when he was sold out of rooms, he had a Neon Sign that he'd turn on in the front window that read:...."PLUM FULL!")... He was such a great guy.....he introduced me to a rancher friend who gave me free use of a saddle horse to use in my free time ( my crew and I were workin' "5-9s" starting at 6a.m.)....by 3:30pm the summer heat was "insane". I'd use the motel pool until about 5:30, eat supper, then ride for an hour or so. Ole Harvey even loaned me a shotgun to use when Quail season opened.

Anyway, as I remember Round Rock was a nice little town of about 8000 population and obviously there was no "DELL" there--( my 60 yr old niece presently works for Dell). The niece tells me R.R. population today is approx 110,000.! That works out to be a litle over 4030 people per/sq/mile. The "county" I live in has a pop density of 15/per/sq/mile................God love you folks, I don't know how you do it!!!........I'd go nuts

One other "oldie" I have is an "Antonio Zoli" O&U (Cape Gun) mfg in 1939. The action is a "bright-metal", side plated box lock with double triggers (the one for the rifle barrel (7x57R) has an external 'trigger pull' adjustment screw inside the trigger guard. The fully engraved action has the Zoli Logo and the name Antonio Zoli on the botton flat area of the action.

The shotgun barrel (which is on top) is 16 ga and stamped: Antonio Zoli Arms Gardone V.T. Italy. but on the other side of the barrel it says: HEGE GMBH & CO SCHWAB HALL GERMANY / SPECIAL NICKEL CHROME STEEL NITRO PROVED. The pistol grip cap and the butt plate are a "checkered", black "bake-a-lite" material and are in 99.8 % condition with the words: HEBSACKER / GERMANY in the center of the Butt Plate. The finely checkered european walnut stock (with cheek-piece) and forearm are 98%.. Also... ALL...I repeat ALL.. screw head slots on the gun are "aligned with the axis of the bore"! (Iunderstand this is called: "TIMING The Screws" and all misc metal is engraved.

I've had it for about 25 years and periodicly tried researching it's history. It appears that a German Gun Distributor (Hebsacker) took an order from a German gun dealer for this "custom-order-gun". I bought it from a retired LEO who brought it over from Europe right after WWII. I don't think its been fired more than 100 times. Its an excellent gun for sittin' in a tree-stand waitin' for a deer, turkey or hog to come by.

Hunt safe.......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, the CCI shotshells seem to do just a little better than the "old school" type. I don't have actual patterning data to prove it, so this is just an anecdote.

I have seen in catalogs, but never seen an actual gun, but some .22 shotguns have been built. Remington offered this as an option on the pump .22 they build or at least built - and may still offer it for all I know.

With all the gun shows I have attended, I would think I would have seen one of these choked, smooth-bore .22s, but have not.
Many, many years ago bat hunting was very popular. That was before bats became endangered. .22 fine shot was especially a challenge for bats that came into range and out of range very quick. Keep in mind that your range was only fifteen to twenty feet. You would throw a stone in the air and the bats would follow the stone down and into range. It was also one of the few times that the bats would fly straight.

It was an old sport for old guns.

When I was young I used to go dragon fly hunting with my gallery .22. A 10 X hit was when all four wings floated out of the air to the ground or water. Their practice of hovering was their undoing. It was actually easier to shoot dragon flies with solid lead than to shoot bats with the fine shot.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It's a smooth bore? What is the first post number of sayin' that? I sort of read back but didn't find it and or who said what .

I wonder if it was a Fair Gun, one used back in the day for when with a nickel you could shoot .22's at the fair?

Since I can't find the post, this is a real question. And are you sure it's a smooth bore? Could it be shot out and look like a smoothbore???

If it's real, and in good shape, it might be a real collector gun.

Does it have a serial number? (yes / no) don't text it here in the wide open.
Are you still there, Mac? I definitely have a smooth bore, and the answer is "yes."

I've had less time lately, due to the upcoming holidays so my attention here on the board is a bit less than normal.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Smooth bore like a shotgun? If so you probably should not fire normal "ball" ammo in it.

I have never seen a 62 "shotgun" .22, didn't know they made them.

If it's a smoothbore you will probably have awful accuracy with normal .22 ammo.

Smooth Bore in the sense I am using it means "no rifling". I"m not talking about the bore being smooth and shiny, rather than rough (as many of these are from being used with corrosive ammo and then not cleaned properly/soon enough).

I think I have muddied the water by bringing this arcane topic up. .22 "shotguns" are quite rare.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Odd, I've always thought of my .22 as being fairly accurate, even without the rifling bore. Keep in mind, I had always used shorts. But yeah, I'm sure a modern gun would out do my .22 ...

And I've never even thought of using something like a shotgun. Also, keep in mind, when I fired at the bird, I didn't have time to adjust my breathing and to allow for my heart beat. My dad was saying, "Hurry up, we've got to go." The shot was well beyond it's limit of what I had heard of as being a hundred yards.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
If you could hit the lid of a regular 32 gallon trash can even half the time at 100 yards, this can't be a smooth bore .22.

When you look down the barrel (using proper safety precautions and with the action open, bore light or mirror in the action) you can see the rifling.

If you clean the bore with a reasonably tight-fitting patch, the cleaning rod turns, right?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
yeah I am still around... I'ld like to see a few pics of this gun. One would be the muzzel, so I can see bore wall thickness.

A serial number isn't a real big sin, but there are stupid people on line that might send you some junk e-mail, and most of them are in Nigeria.

Once smooth bore rifles were pretty common, and most were flintlocks. These were still very accurate. So I am interested.

I am busy too.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you could hit the lid of a regular 32 gallon trash can even half the time at 100 yards, this can't be a smooth bore .22.

When you look down the barrel (using proper safety precautions and with the action open, bore light or mirror in the action) you can see the rifling.

If you clean the bore with a reasonably tight-fitting patch, the cleaning rod turns, right?
I've moved to many times to still have a any cleaning equipment. I guess I'll have to unscrew the the side to get a good look. Or maybe I'll go ahead and get somebody to clean it and find out that way.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Get some cleaning equipment. Any gun IMO should be cleaned right after shooting it. Even walmart sells cleaning stuff.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
A serial number isn't a real big sin, .
I had a couple of Stevens Savage shotguns with no serial numbers, they were fairly new. Bought them in the 70's. Pretty sure the Montgomery Wards/Mossberg .22 at my parents ranch does not have a serial #. Shooting gophers last weekend with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting