Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times

Advertisements

As a observation only........
In my view anything that throws any sort of projectile can be classed as 'rock throwing' whereas anything that is NOT a projectile can be classed as an advancement in weaponry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post

(1)
I'd say explosives is qualitatively distinct enough a "weapon," as the physics by which it works is clearly different than those previous projectile weapons you previously described. (referring to the non-shrapnel damages caused by such explosives, as the shrapnel itself would simply be a variant of the kind of primitive projectile weapons you described)

(2) Also, LASERS, which while we may not currently use them for generic anti-personnel purposes a la science fiction literature, they can be used for offensive (and defensive) military or even personal purposes nonetheless. And the laser, like explosives, is qualitatively unique enough an invention in itself that I don't think one can say it's simply a variation of physical projectile weapons.
That's pretty much what I was going to say about explosives. This includes, by the way, nuclear and thermonuclear devices. They aren't "rocks."

I disagree - sort of - on the use of lasers. They're currently being used to "blind" opposing optics -- including the Mark I Mod 0 eyeball. In this application they're much more like mirrors and searchlights.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
As a observation only........
In my view anything that throws any sort of projectile can be classed as 'rock throwing' whereas anything that is NOT a projectile can be classed as an advancement in weaponry.
Which is kind of broad, by that definition, lasers are not advanced weaponry, they throw out photons, same as Microwave ADS systems (which are just different energy state photons), rail guns when they work more than once, are also not advanced weaponry. Technically this definition of what advanced weaponry is not includes theoretical mass drivers (which actually are normally depicted as throwing rocks, but the rocks are also asteroids with cheap propulsion systems for orbital bombardment), plasma rifles, and conventional bombs and grenades ("thrown" from a aircraft/person). Similarly the LHC at CERN could be argued to be nothing more than throwing rocks, just very small rocks, at very high velocities.

At the same time, IED's and land mines are considered at least worthy of inclusion into advanced weaponry. As are most swords, axes, maces, flails.

Or the alternative is, does the residual kinetic energy of the projectile cause the injuries or death on impact? In which case we've moved quite a distance from throwing rocks, indeed we moved from just throwing rocks in the 9th century with the invention of gunpowder.

Last edited by Gungnir; 12-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: removal of errant e

Old 12-05-2011, 06:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I want one of those Roger Rabbit guns that shoot around corners...
The Wehrmacht developed these successfully but never put them into production. Phil Sharpe discusses them in The Rifle in America. He had a chance to shoot them.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-05-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,409,919 times
How is shooting someone exactly like throwing a rock at them? Yeah, I know both bullets and rocks are projectiles when they're in the air, but a bullet will do more damage than a rock.

However, a rock will do more damage to a window than a bullet.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
I've wondered for a very long time why no human has
ever invented a device to replace the gun since the gun
is, in an abstract way, just a machine to throw 'rocks' at a target.

First man threw rocks
then man threw spears
then man invented the bow & arrow the throw a smaller spear
then man invented the gun to throw a bullet (read rock)
then etc.

So you see that humans have not advanced very far from the first
human to throw a rock. All humans have done is improve the machines
to throw the 'rock' with.
That said, there is not nor has ever been a
truely new 'weapon' ,at the personal level, in all of human history.

Humans still make war or hunt with a projectile (rock/spear) of some
type. Go figure............
Heh, better yet humans still depend on fire as much if not more today than they did 100,000 years ago. Every aspect of our civilization is dependent on combustion. We burn different stuff but we havent found a realistic replacement for combustion yet. We even use combustion to throw our rocks now!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,153 times
Quote:
I've wondered for a very long time why no human has
ever invented a device to replace the gun since the gun
is, in an abstract way, just a machine to throw 'rocks' at a target.

First man threw rocks
then man threw spears
then man invented the bow & arrow the throw a smaller spear
then man invented the gun to throw a bullet (read rock)
then etc.

So you see that humans have not advanced very far from the first
human to throw a rock. All humans have done is improve the machines
to throw the 'rock' with.
That said, there is not nor has ever been a
truely new 'weapon' ,at the personal level, in all of human history.

Humans still make war or hunt with a projectile (rock/spear) of some
type. Go figure............

Good. There shouldn't be any new weaponry. Weapons have done nothing but cause pain on the Earth. All armies should be under the control of the U.N.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Good. There shouldn't be any new weaponry. Weapons have done nothing but cause pain on the Earth. All armies should be under the control of the U.N.

LMFAO big time. The UN should be dismantled as fast as possible. Useless outdated failure that it is. Was worth a try but it failed & we now often find the most atrocious despots in positions of authority in it.

Say what you will about weapons, but as weaponry increased in sophistication so did the human race, weapons allowed us to move from primate to where we are today more than any other single development. Might cause alot of pain, but they sure havent prevented us from expanding to cover the globe.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM

990 posts, read 2,555,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

I apologize, I don't get it.

This is a joke.....right.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I apologize, I don't get it.

This is a joke.....right.
Yes, it is. But the poster doesn't now that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting