Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I stand corrected, but the caisson is still a must for a decent amount of the .50 cal. S&W ammo, is it not?

Your piece makes my Model 29 look like a kit gun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have that exact model 29... and (IMHO), it is the most accurate wheel gun I have ever owned. You just can't miss! I love it. The recoil is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Picked up the gun yesterday and put about a box and a half through it. Nice!

The recoil is pretty significant, but not so much that I can't hit the target.. I'll qualify with it for my CCW easily. I'm very pleased with the purchase so far.

My girl ordered a Bersa Thunder .380 CC on Saturday when we were there. She's fired mine quite a bit, and she likes it, so she's getting one for herself, and is also taking the class with me this month. While we were at the store last night, we saw this:

She almost changed her mind when she saw "Zombie Slayer" printed on the side! Can't say I blame her. Same round as the Bersa, and much smaller/lighter. Plus, it's a Ruger - can't go wrong, really. After explaining that it would 'kick' a lot more than the Bersa, because it's so much smaller and lighter, she opted to stay with what she'd already ordered.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM

114 posts, read 101,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm renewing my CCW this month, and will need to re-qualify at the range. The way it works in Nevada, if I qualify with a semi-auto, I can carry any semi-auto. Likewise with a revolver. Until July 1st of last year, you could only carry the specific makes/models you qualified with.

I've never owned a revolver, but getting one has been moving up my to-do list, so I'd like to do it before the class. That way, I don't have to deal with a separate qualification and then adding revolvers to the permit later.

The primary use will be to take up space in the safe, and occasionally carrying it instead of one of the automatics I carry now.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger .357 LCR (model KLCR-357), or maybe the .38 version of the same thing, if I want to save a few bucks - but I doubt that I'd "settle" for the .38.

Anyone have any direct experience with that gun? Any other suggestions? I'll consider anything that's small, hammerless and of decent quality.

I know that Taurus has a somewhat sketchy reputation, but I've read some good things about them recently. In your opinion, should I consider getting one of those? (Do they have a hammerless model?) I've also been looking at the hammerless models from S&W for a lot of years...

Like I said, I'm leaning towards the Ruger right now, but I'm open to any and all suggestions and opinions.
In snubbies, I own a S&W 642 Air Weight .38SPL. A Ruger SP101 2 1/2" .357MAG (tough as s___!!!!) and a Colt Detective Special '73 in .38 SPL. I love them all and use all but the Colt. It's still 98% and worth a pretty penny. It's a safe queen and collectors piece. Those LCRs are pretty nice and light weight. S&W and Ruger would be my first choice in "modern" revolvers. Pick a model you like best.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Here is my Ruger SP101 stainless .357 MAG. Snubbies don't come any more rugged or tough than these. If you empty five and don't have a reload or the time...I know it would knock the guy out instantly when thrown! This is a EXTRA heavy duty snub-nose. I also installed a Meprolite front night sight and did a hone job on the trigger. It's very accurate for a snub nose and loves my 148 grain HBLWC (lead) .38 SPL reloads that I load with Bullseye.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Custom Meprolite night sight installed by me. I have a drill press and machinist vice. It's sweet, and makes a great fishing gun... also a back pocket midnight run to the gas station gun.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM

For $39...yours can have night sights too! Meprolight Tru-Dot Tritium Night Sights - RUGER SP-101 - FRONT ONLY - Top Gun Supply

Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Those SP101s are built like tanks. I like mine as travel insurance for road trips.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Those SP101s are built like tanks. I like mine as travel insurance for road trips.
I've yet to see any built more rugged or tough. It's solid stainless steel and tough as nails. This snubbie will handle a steady diet of full power 125 grain JHP .357 MAGs with ease. When you think of "pistol whipping" someone with a handgun... a 1911 and these come to mind first. It's not going to break!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APSS109 View Post
I've yet to see any built more rugged or tough. It's solid stainless steel and tough as nails. This snubbie will handle a steady diet of full power 125 grain JHP .357 MAGs with ease. When you think of "pistol whipping" someone with a handgun... a 1911 and these come to mind first. It's not going to break!
Truth, that is.

I would never consider pistol-whippin' a bad guy with any of my "tupperware" pistols (Ruger SR9, LCP, Kahr CW45).
That's a job for an all steel hogleg as you mentioned, plus I'd toss a Ruger GP100, Redhawk, or an N frame Smith in there.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopro View Post
truth, that is.

I would never consider pistol-whippin' a bad guy with any of my "tupperware" pistols (ruger sr9, lcp, kahr cw45).
That's a job for an all steel hogleg as you mentioned, plus i'd toss a ruger gp100, redhawk, or an n frame smith in there. :d
Yes Sir!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting