Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, I wouldn't become an NRA member even if it was free.

Yes, I'm a gun owner.

Yes, I firmly believe in the Second Amendment.

With that said, and strictly in my personal opinion, the NRA (and Wayne LaPierre) has done more to HARM individual gun ownership than it has done to help it. Their entire strategy seems to be "preaching to the converted" rather than attempting to recruit the REAL decision-makers -- the uncommitted voters in the middle.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an ol' Alabama country boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
It's certainly your perogative to join whatever gun rights group you desire.....which one DO you belong to?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I am a Life Member of the NRA, but like some people, I didn't join to have the NRA champion the causes for the 2nd amendment. I do that at the voting booth and with letters and phone calls.

I joined the NRA because there is absolutely, NO other organization does more for shooting sports.

I am a competitive shooter and have killed more targets then I have game. When I go to competition shoots, 99.9% of the time, it's the NRA that is sponsoring them. It may be volunteers that set targets, keep scores, run the time clocks, and maintain the ranges, but it's the NRA that maintains the records and has the clout that the NRA has. How many organizations out there sponsor Hunter Safety Courses? How many orgainizations out there sponsor training courses for our youth, our women who refuse to be a victum, and rifle, pistol, and shotgun training for you and I? Sure, there are some local organizations that have shooting sports, but when you travel to another state, do your scores, your history or anything else follow you? Does it mean anything? Not really. If you go to get a concealed weapons permit, does your local gun club records count for you getting that permit? Very few do unless they teach a specific course that the Local Law recognizes as a valid course. The NRA courses are recognized nation wide.

That's why I joined, and that's why I later upgraded to a Life Member. Economics played a big roll too. I would have paid for membership, every year for the rest of my life. The life membership was simply a matter of saving me some money, because i was going to do it anyhow.

As far as local clubs and organizations, I am also a Life Member of the Texas State Rifle Association and I don't live in Texas. But looking into their programs and what they have accomplished, I figured my money would do some good there.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I used to be a member of the NRA. Then they "went fool" and started backing down on some very important Second Amendment congressional bills, trying to please everyone, trying to cut their losses. IMHO, they are political cowards - they say one thing and do another. They also have supported some members in Congress (with 'my' money) who were "ambivalent" about the Second Amendment.

I am now a member of both the GOA and the JPFO (you don't have to be Jewish to join!). Smaller numbers, but they don't compromise their principles for political expediency.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
With all due respect, I wouldn't become an NRA member even if it was free.

Yes, I'm a gun owner.

Yes, I firmly believe in the Second Amendment.

With that said, and strictly in my personal opinion, the NRA (and Wayne LaPierre) has done more to HARM individual gun ownership than it has done to help it. Their entire strategy seems to be "preaching to the converted" rather than attempting to recruit the REAL decision-makers -- the uncommitted voters in the middle.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an ol' Alabama country boy.
You're not alone in your opinions of the NRA.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It's certainly your perogative to join whatever gun rights group you desire.....which one DO you belong to?
I actively support the Second Amendment Foundation.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Thanks Uncle....

I am now a lifetime member!!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Most of ya know I'm an NRA member - I'm also involved with the "Friends of NRA". Stepped it up a tad this year - I'm Chairman of the our local FNRA committee and a member of the Grant Committee.....tomorrow we're meeting to divvy up a tad over $400,000 (yeah - four hundred thousand bucks!!) among those that have submitted for grants - and that's JUST in South Texas. Think about it next time you wanna complain how the NRA "doesn't do anything"....

The FNRA banquets can raise significant dollars to spread out to the law enforcement and youth organizations (boy scouts, 4H, etc) to help them with their shooting programs, gun safety, and LEO protection/special gear. I think that's a pretty dang good "return" for a group that "doesn't do anything"!!!

Friends of NRA - NRA Foundation

Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thanks Uncle....

I am now a lifetime member!!

You're welcomed!!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Anyone have/know how to get the $300 lifetime membership for the NRA. Myself and my buddy will join today!

JOin the Gun Owners of America also called the GOA. less nonsense than the NRA and they actually care about your 2nd Amendment. unlike the NRA who worked with the brady bunch to give the USA the NICS checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting