Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
A most interesting thread.

Perhaps we're straying a bit from the initial premise, Do you owe it to the animal to kill quick? Regardless of whether one uses a .22LR, a howitzer, a bow, or a brick, the consensus seems to be a definite "Yes".

I agree. Strictly from my own viewpoint, one also owes the animal an explanation. (Yeah, I know -- way too spiritual for some of ya... )

-- Nighteyes [Mississippi Choctaw]

Forget the spiritual stuff! Just try role reversal. If it was us laying there dying in pain; I would hope the animal would want to run an antler through our brain and finish us off! It never appealed to me to be attacked by coyotes and eaten from the back end forward - I think I would rather have the big cat rip out my throat!

We like to think of ourselves as humane. Watching animals in pain doesn’t fit that description.

Last edited by fisheye; 01-26-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Forget the spiritual stuff!
I won't. However I agree that, for most of us, it probably isn't germane to the discussion.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Question for all: Is there an unincorporated jurisdiction in the United States where discharging a firearm on your private property is illegal?
Somewhere in the Eastern People's Republics, such as PDR of Taxachussets, probably there is.

Not in any normal place that I know of though.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Nighteyes: I don't think of 'owing the animal an explanation' as being so much 'spiritual' as simply the avoidance of killing animals for no good reason. Well, maybe it is 'spiritual' in a sense.

I just hunt paper targets!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
No, you are fine. I think we are talking about LARGE animals. That 'yote being one of them. Deer with a .22LR? Bear with a .22LR? Come on guys! I don't know any State that allows that. Shots through the eye socket look good on forums. Out in the field, it's not always the case. I've seen plenty of coons, rabbits, woodchucks and squirrels thrash about even hit in the neck. A inch or two makes or breaks the shot. Ever see that "gator" show on TV. They don't always die either. Some got down right POed and lashed out at the hunter. Sure a .22LR CAN kill these animals. A .44 magnum WILL!
A .22 is technically legal on bears and deer in Vermont. That said, the only hunters I know of who do so, are the poachers, as it's a quiet round.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 AM

409 posts, read 318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A .22 is technically legal on bears and deer in Vermont. That said, the only hunters I know of who do so, are the poachers, as it's a quiet round.
Look at it this way. They didn't invent and come out with the .500 S&W and weapon system (revolver) for shooting targets. That was a "special" round and handgun designed for a purpose such as that.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Nighteyes: I don't think of 'owing the animal an explanation' as being so much 'spiritual' as simply the avoidance of killing animals for no good reason. Well, maybe it is 'spiritual' in a sense.
Or at least the demonstration of respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I just hunt paper targets!
Actually, that's true of me now as well. Plus, I am occasionally called upon to use a brace of converted Remington New Model Army revolvers, an 1866 Winchester, and an 1878 Colt Coach Gun (double-barreled shotgun) to repel the attack of up to 26 steel plates.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
I used to hunt as a kid - now I don't..The life force is strong and it is never a certain thing that you can dispatch an animal instantly...there are always problems...that are highly un-pleasant..IF you have to kill a creature..it should be done instantly..so as the animal does not even realize that it has died..other than being the perfect shot or expert in a slaughter house - best not to bother...nothing worse that an animal that is injured and suffering in pain and panic....It is horrific...I don't hunt anymore...nor do I bother even killing a stray wasp that flys into the house - I open the window and send it on it's way...Killing is simply bad...unless for food that is totally neccesary..or if you are about to be killed...

The old saying "he would not even harm a fly" rings true with me. Some people will kill a fly - for no reason...I just don't understand that mentality...Life is to be respected - from insect to human...If we do not have that basic love and respect for life - our lives become more and more cheap..and of little value - also - I am not big on capitial punishement...either....confine and detain...but do not kill..........................."Thou shall not kill" - in my books means - do not kill with out good reason...and there are few good reasons.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 26,865 times
For a quick "humane" Kill,nothing beats the Lazzorni 7.82 Warbird. @ 3700fps with a 150 grain bullet it delivers over 4000 fp of energy @ 100 yards. "yotes" will become a pink cloud of vapor. Hows that for humane?
Long Magnum Cartridges
And in case anyone is wondering, I have shot one, a truly remarkable weapon.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'm sure it's effective, but it sounds like way overdoing it to me. Not to mention the recoil! Not too humane to the shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting