Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM

409 posts, read 318,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Wait...do some training courses restrict what type of weapon you're able to use?
Yes, they sure do! Any worth a hoot do. They want you using WHAT YOU CARRY! Not some watered down handgun a 8 year old girl can shoot bullseyes with all day.

Quote:
lol...Got it! The one that I most recently looked at and like is a Taurus PT740SS Slim. It fit in my hand nicely, and was easy for me to chamber (I've found a couple that I had issues in that area). BUT....I've heard almost as many negatives as positives about the Taurus.

What's your take?
I'd stick to the GLOCK, S&W M&P or something else. I don't want to make anybody mad!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM

457 posts, read 889,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Yes, they sure do! Any worth a hoot do. They want you using WHAT YOU CARRY! Not some watered down handgun a 8 year old girl can shoot bullseyes with all day.

I'd stick to the GLOCK, S&W M&P or something else. I don't want to make anybody mad!
Oh ok...well that makes sense. Yeah, I definitely plan to have MY gun before class. I want to train with what I will be using. It'd be a little silly to do it any other way!

I won't be offended if someone else gets mad about your opinion, lol. You're not going to make me mad...it's my thread...and I asked...so I'm really the only one that matters at this point, right!? Kidding...sort of....

Old 01-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Something else that might be of interest to you and the other gals.

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,809 times
Quote:
Hey all!

I could use a few suggestions, and a bit of clarification on something please.

I recently have signed up for a beginner...basic handgun safety class, and plan to eventually obtain my CCW once I'm more comfortable handling a handgun.

I am looking at getting a semi-automatic pistol. One thing that I would like clarification on, as no one so far has been able to explain it to me...in "lamens terms" that I can fully understand....is...What is the difference between single action, and double action? Which do you think is better, and why? What about getting a handgun that is SA/DA...are there benefits to having one that functions as both?

As for the type/caliber I should get. I have an idea of what I would like to carry for personal protection (.40), but...is that what I should start off with? Would I be better off to start with something small, like a .22 or something, and work my way up to a .40, to build proficiency as I go...or would I be ok with starting out with what I think I want (provided that I'm comfortable when firing it)?
Single action-
When referring to a revolver it means that you have to pull the hammer back with your hand or thumb every time you want to fire a shot(**** it and then pull the trigger) Examples are Colt Single Action Army(SAA) Ruger Blackhawks, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Super Blackhawk and MOST common percussion cap revolvers.

When referring to a Semi Automatic pistol it means that you have to manually **** the hammer for the first shot but not on subsequent shots because the slide ***** the hammer for you. Examples are Colt 1911 style pistols and Browning High Powers.

Double Action
For revolvers it means that when you pull the trigger it ***** the hammer and then fires the pistol (albeit very quickly). For a revolver this must be done for every shot. Most double action revolvers can also be fired in single action mode as well. Examples (in my experience) are Most revolvers with a swing out cylinder.

For a Semi Automatic pistol means that when the hammer is not cocked you can pull the trigger and it will **** and fire the pistol. you do not have to **** and fire the pistol with the trigger for every shot because the slide ***** the hammer when it cycles. This type of action is sometimes referred to a Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) Example *** P9

Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Oh ok...well that makes sense. Yeah, I definitely plan to have MY gun before class. I want to train with what I will be using. It'd be a little silly to do it any other way!

I won't be offended if someone else gets mad about your opinion, lol. You're not going to make me mad...it's my thread...and I asked...so I'm really the only one that matters at this point, right!? Kidding...sort of....
It only makes sense to buy something that the training class will let in. The list is long as you will find out. Target .22s and other gear won't be. You also are going to be firing lot's and lot's of ammo. Some in excess of 1,000-1,500 rounds before it's all said and done. The instructor doesn't take kindly to a "problem" gun that he or she has to keep stopping the flow of the class because of YOU! That means quality, if you were wondering.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
KittKat, there is a reason not many people are responding to your question (in my opinion), NOT because of your question.....but who has responded the most to your question...

Some people on this board think they are better, can out do you and are just...well....better.....

Sorry but you may or may not get anymore answers.....or opinions.....

Personally, I would tell you to try each pistol...Why not try the people's weapons who are giving the class? If they are worth a hoot, they will have multiple pistols.....not every pistol fits everyone's hands...

If you are just starting off, never fired a pistol before....then I see no reason for you to go for the largest pistol someone else say's is good for you.....

Think of it like this....if you are just starting to learn how to play base ball.....why would you want to go against a picture who pitches the the fastest in the world....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Target .22s and other gear won't be.
Can you provide anything that says this, I know a few that just went through this, a 3 day class and they had PASSED the class with a .22 caliber.

Here, you can call them and find out....

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/

Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
I'll say it - ain't afeered...

I'd start with a .22. Why? Because it will allow you to focus on the basics, such as technique, without having to worry about recoil. When a new shooter becomes troubled w/the recoil, you start getting pulled shots because they're flinching in anticipation of the recoil. A .22 has essentially zero recoil - and they're VERY cheap to shoot, which means you can afford to practice and develop your techniques without breaking the bank.

Raised 4 kids startin' 'em off with a .22 - began with a revolver, and worked 'em into the larger calibers. All still shoot today - and love it.

There's nothing wrong with a Taurus in and of itself - for the price. It's not a very refined/well made gun in comparison with others, and it doesn't hold its' value worth a hoot in comparison to the better-quality guns - but with a .22, do you really care?

I own quite a few guns - includin' a SS Taurus - the same one I started my kids on. Today it is taken to the range as I start teaching the grandkids how to shoot. From there, my guns are pretty much S&W wheelguns (primarily 66's and 686's, with a few S&W snub .38's tossed in) - and from there, my beloved .45's. Have everything from High Standard to Wilson, RIA to Ed Brown. I simply love .45's, and it doesn't have to be a high-dollar gun for me to enjoy it.

Having said that...I *carry* an STI Elektra or Wilson SS Sentinel 90% of the time, although from time to time I'll carry one of my Kimbers or Randalls. If there's a gun on my hip, you can bet that I'm willing to bet my life on it - and one nice thing about the High Standard is that it's relatively inexpensive and reliable - so when I'm out doing something that might get a carry gun scratched up I toss on the HS or RIA.

Oh - my wife has a half-dozen herself - a mdl 36 snub, mdl 66 in 4", a coupla Kimbers, a *pink* STI Elektra in 9mm, an' several others.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
I will second finding a weapon that feels good and points naturally. I like Springfield Armory's polymer pistols ... their XDm series. 9mm is the cheapest to shoot. You didn't say if finances were an issue. There are plenty of nice semi-auto pistols out there.

Read online reviews also ... it is easy enough to start Googling and come up with brands and models. My favorite semi is a Heckler & Koch .45 acp. (Google H&K 45) but ergonomically Springfields XDm's fit me well too! Once you get a few you're interested in go to a local gun shop ... not one of the big box stores and put your hands on a few. If you are lucky the sales person will help increase your knowlege. If you are luckier still they'll have an indoor range where you can test drive a few models.

This is the way I would start new.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Oh yes ... 9mm is not cheaper than a .22LR to shoot ... but of the generally accepted self defense calibers a 9mm would be cheaper than a .40, .45, .380, 10mm(not many folks carry those), etc..

Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Not sure what class your taking but the NRA basic pistol course is not a combat course, just a saftey course & we use revolvers and semi autos in several calibers. We supply the guns. Once you get a basic knowledge of guns & how to use them safely you can move on to choosing the right gun for you. At this point, given the questions you asked I think worrying about caliber etc is putting the cart before the horse. You dont even need to have a gun to take a basic saftey course & probably shouldnt buy one until you do take it. After the course you will KNOW the answer to your question regarding single/double action. Take it slow & easy so you can learn. Some of these guys think every gun owner needs a high cap combat ready handgun, but the fact is only YOU will know what you need & can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting