Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM

457 posts, read 889,579 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I could use a few suggestions, and a bit of clarification on something please.

I recently have signed up for a beginner...basic handgun safety class, and plan to eventually obtain my CCW once I'm more comfortable handling a handgun.

I am looking at getting a semi-automatic pistol. One thing that I would like clarification on, as no one so far has been able to explain it to me...in "lamens terms" that I can fully understand....is...What is the difference between single action, and double action? Which do you think is better, and why? What about getting a handgun that is SA/DA...are there benefits to having one that functions as both?

As for the type/caliber I should get. I have an idea of what I would like to carry for personal protection (.40), but...is that what I should start off with? Would I be better off to start with something small, like a .22 or something, and work my way up to a .40, to build proficiency as I go...or would I be ok with starting out with what I think I want (provided that I'm comfortable when firing it)?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

409 posts, read 318,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Hey all!

I recently have signed up for a beginner...basic handgun safety class, and plan to eventually obtain my CCW once I'm more comfortable handling a handgun.

I am looking at getting a semi-automatic pistol. One thing that I would like clarification on, as no one so far has been able to explain it to me...in "lamens terms" that I can fully understand....is...What is the difference between single action, and double action? Which do you think is better, and why? What about getting a handgun that is SA/DA...are there benefits to having one that functions as both?

As for the type/caliber I should get. I have an idea of what I would like to carry for personal protection (.40), but...is that what I should start off with? Would I be better off to start with something small, like a .22 or something, and work my way up to a .40, to build proficiency as I go...or would I be ok with starting out with what I think I want (provided that I'm comfortable when firing it)?
"Lamens terms" The difference between a single action and a double action. A single action requires the hammer to be cocked manually. Think of a old Colt Army .45. Billy The Kid! For every shot, you must **** the hammer and pull the trigger. For a double action revolver, you simply pull the trigger and it ***** the hammer for you. In D/A mode, you just keep pulling the trigger for each cylinder turn and shot. You can still **** the hammer in single action for more precise shots. Double action only means it will only fire as the way<<<<< I just decribed. No cocking the hammer and single action. In a SA/DA semi auto, you can either pull the trigger to **** the hammer, and fire your first round, or **** the hammer and fire it in single action. With a D/A S/A semi, only your first shot or trigger pull is double action. After your first shot, the slide travels back and ***** your next shot for you in single action. This continues until the slide locks back when empty, or you simply stop shooting and decock the hammer either with a decocker or letting it down manually with your thumb. A single action semi (1911) requires the hammer to be manually cocked before firing. Each shot after is cocked for you by the slide recoiling. Again, until you are out of ammo, stop shooting, or let it down. In a modern striker fired weapon GLOCK, S&W M&P you only have one trigger pull. The striker (firing pin) is cocked inside the slide. You do so by racking the slide (pull it back) to chamber the first round. You have no exposed hammer to mess with. You also only have one trigger pull to learn. Pull the trigger once it's cocked and shoot one round every trigger pull until empty, stop shooting, or out of ammo. I'd recommend a GLOCK or S&W M&P for you and your first handgun. Glock would be a G-27, G-23, G-22 or long slide G-35. In the M&P it would be a M&P 40 or a M&P 40C. All of these in the .40 S&W caliber. Plenty of female Police Officers shooting .40 S&Ws. Don't let any guy BS you that you CAN'T! Good luck!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I'll even go one better yet. I can sit here and flap my gums all day. Here's how a GLOCK works so you can see without me actually being there to show you and put on in your hands.

Glock Function Animation - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hey all!

As for this last part. The female Police Officers don't "work" their way up to a PD handgun. Why should you?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
"Lamens terms" The difference between a single action and a double action. A single action requires the hammer to be cocked manually. Think of a old Colt Army .45. Billy The Kid! For every shot, you must **** the hammer and pull the trigger. For a double action revolver, you simply pull the trigger and it ***** the hammer for you. In D/A mode, you just keep pulling the trigger for each cylinder turn and shot. You can still **** the hammer in single action for more precise shots. Double action only means it will only fire as the way<<<<< I just decribed. No cocking the hammer and single action. In a SA/DA semi auto, you can either pull the trigger to **** the hammer, and fire your first round, or **** the hammer and fire it in single action. With a D/A S/A semi, only your first shot or trigger pull is double action. After your first shot, the slide travels back and ***** your next shot for you in single action. This continues until the slide locks back when empty, or you simply stop shooting and decock the hammer either with a decocker or letting it down manually with your thumb. A single action semi (1911) requires the hammer to be manually cocked before firing. Each shot after is cocked for you by the slide recoiling. Again, until you are out of ammo, stop shooting, or let it down. In a modern striker fired weapon GLOCK, S&W M&P you only have one trigger pull. The striker (firing pin) is cocked inside the slide. You do so by racking the slide (pull it back) to chamber the first round. You have no exposed hammer to mess with. You also only have one trigger pull to learn. Pull the trigger once it's cocked and shoot one round every trigger pull until empty, stop shooting, or out of ammo. I'd recommend a GLOCK or S&W M&P for you and your first handgun. Glock would be a G-27, G-23, G-22 or long slide G-35. In the M&P it would be a M&P 40 or a M&P 40C. All of these in the .40 S&W caliber. Plenty of female Police Officers shooting .40 S&Ws. Don't let any guy BS you that you CAN'T! Good luck!

Ahh...well that helps! Thanks!!!! Trust me...I won't let anyone (some guy, lol) tell me that I CAN'T...that's for DARN sure!!!!!

But...if I start out with what I WANT (I really have my eye on a Kimber, but still trying to convince the boyfriend on that one)...will I still be able to be as proficient (with plenty of practice of course)...or is it better, to start out with something smaller that won't have as much recoil until I'm used to it?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
As for this last part. The female Police Officers don't "work" their way up to a PD handgun. Why should you?

lol...Well ok then...nevermind my last reply!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
lol...Well ok then...nevermind my last reply!
You'll also be ALLOWED in a training course with a weapon such as these. You'll see them on the list I'm sure. Save the Ruger MKIIs for the wannabes!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
You'll also be ALLOWED in a training course with a weapon such as these. You'll see them on the list I'm sure. Save the Ruger MKIIs for the wannabes!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
lol...Got it! The one that I most recently looked at and like is a Taurus PT740SS Slim. It fit in my hand nicely, and was easy for me to chamber (I've found a couple that I had issues in that area). BUT....I've heard almost as many negatives as positives about the Taurus.

What's your take?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Wait...do some training courses restrict what type of weapon you're able to use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting