Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,179 times

Advertisements

What do you think of it, a loop hole within the full auto gun laws , good investment, or a waste of money?
Discuss.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9N0RXzpovk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Things like this have been around for years....someone is always trying...

But, what do you do when a guy can out fire a fully auto, with a semi auto and no add on's?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
What do you think of it, a loop hole within the full auto gun laws , good investment, or a waste of money?
Discuss.

Not a loop hole, when the ATF can classify a 14" shoelace as a machinegun, you can bet it's not a loophole. A loophole would require that the firearm discharges more than one round with a single trigger pull. Bump firing is not that. A old Gatling gun isn't classed by the ATF as fully automatic, because you need to wind the handle.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Discuss.

I've fired the slide-fire for the AR platform. Lots and lots of fun, but not practical and, therefore, probably not a good thing to buy from an investment standpoint.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I think it's stupid, and the ATF is going to come down on it sooner or later, even if it *is* still semi-auto with the stock.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I would not waste my money. There really is no practical capability that bump firing gives you, you will waste a ton of ammo, and you are more likely to be hassled by law enforcement. You can put more rounds on target faster by just working on your trigger speed.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I would not waste my money. There really is no practical capability that bump firing gives you, you will waste a ton of ammo, and you are more likely to be hassled by law enforcement. You can put more rounds on target faster by just working on your trigger speed.
It's just buying fun. It is a lot of fun, but you're right: after you've done it a few times the protest from your wallet starts to outweigh the thrill.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
I have one on one of my AR's...It's a hoot but I don't know about calling it pratical. If I want pratical FA I'll get out the PePeshaw.......

Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Let us take a moment to reflect:

1. There are a surprisingly few times when full-auto fire ("spray & pray") is the best way.

2. There are many, many, many more times when aimed (or sorta-aimed) semi-auto fire is the best way.

3. Historically, the BATFE comes down with both feet on "options" like this.

4. Like it or not, this particular product is likely to go the way of the Dodo Bird...

5. This will not daunt any of us from doing what we really need to do.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Actually, this style/type of fire mechanism isn't new - it's application and engineering is. I've got a simple wheel mechanism on a pair of mounted 10/22's that effectively makes them into a "gatling gun" style system. Being a .22, it's a hoot to shoot, fun - and pretty cheap to own.

Practical? Useful? Nah - but a real crowd-pleaser when you toss in a couple of 100-round drums and let it fly! I really only shoot it on rare occassions - but it's one of those "toy" items.

The bumpfire system? It's a REALLY cheap way to get the "full-auto" bug out of your system without having to spend the significant $$$ required to own a "real" full auto. For the price they get for 'em, though, I don't see them being sold in any real quantity - and frankly, after someone goes through a thousand rounds the novelty will wear off and they'll likely either remove it or set the gun aside for "special events" and get-togethers when someone just HAS to have a "check this out" type moment.

I've owned FA - might again just for the fun of it - but yeah, the $$$ required is significant to feed a weapons system capable of sucking ammo down at that rate! But - to each their own. Some folks will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a vehicle, others on other hobbies - so I just figure it's THEIR money......and THEIR choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting