Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Cheap guns are made to appeal to those on limited budgets, just as other things are built cheaply for the same reason. If everything was built to "top shelf" standards, only the elite could afford to buy them. Appreciate 'em for what they are, and be grateful if your budget allows you other choices.
Quality doesn't always have to suffer for price and value. Smith & Wesson Model 10 4" .38 SPL anyone? The guys who own those Hi Points seem to really like them. I'm going out on a limb and trusting them and their opinion. After all, they own it and I don't. I love those old S&W 5906 Police trade in 9MMs too. Many times, if you paid over $300 for one, you paid too much. Do your homework before buying ANYTHING and wear a smile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
They like the Hi Points for their quality/price point. You can't compare used guns to new - S&W's historically have low resale value on their semi-auto handguns when compared to Colt, yet their wheelguns hold their own very well.

I can remember when you couldn't give away a Dan Wesson multi-barrel set...now folks pay all kinds of prices for 'em.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
They like the Hi Points for their quality/price point. You can't compare used guns to new - S&W's historically have low resale value on their semi-auto handguns when compared to Colt, yet their wheelguns hold their own very well.

I can remember when you couldn't give away a Dan Wesson multi-barrel set...now folks pay all kinds of prices for 'em.
With times like these and the economy in the toilet, the deals are out there. Their gonna turn this guy's gas off in two days if he doesn't pay up. "I need that money...right now!" You would be supprized at what you can come up with in the paper and at gun shows. Pawn shops are good for finding old well used, but still very good S&W 10s. The used Police market dumped tens of thousands of those in well used shape. So much so, many laid in drawers of people that weren't even gun folks. Someone dies and "the gun" or S&W model 10 ends up at a pawn shop from the estate. I've been doing this for enough years, I can find the deals. If I can do it, nearly anyone can. My last one I saw was a guy trying to sell a "minty" S&W model 60 .38 SPL at the last gun show. Those cheapa___ FFL dealers only offered the guy $150 bucks for it! Now, I don't hold a grudge for trying to make a profit, but come on man!!! The guy got so mad, he said he would take it out and throw it in the dumpster before selling it to them for that. While heading down the aisle, some guy walking wanted to see it. He offered $375 for it! SOLD!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Oh, I hear ya....you'd freak if you saw some of the stuff I've picked up in the past few years - Randalls, Baers, Wilsons, Ed Browns - some VERY nice, pricey stuff - very few folks walking around willin' to put hard cash down on the high-dollar guns. I probably make 20 offers for every 1 that's accepted - but I've managed to build up a fairly nice collection of guns (primarily .45's) doing so!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
I'll throw in for the Hi-Points....absolutely love mine....$140 out the door for the 40 cal...

However, I had to find the right ammo, is was very picky....until then...

Also, I don't need to shoot through the same hole....15 steps is about as far as I'll shoot in my house....if needed...I can put 10 rounds in an 8 inch pie plate...good enough for what I need....

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
The BAR , Browning M2 .50 Cal, Thompson "Tommy" .45 Cal sub machine gun, M1919 air cooled .30 Cal, M1917 water cooled .30 Cal, 1911 .45 ACP and Hi Power to name a few.
I'm not saying he didnt design anything that ended up in the military or directly for the military. But other than the machine guns his designs were much more for the civilian market than military. For instance he designed the 1911 for Colt, a private civilian owned company. I think we'd have the 1911 even if it was never adopted by the military.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm not saying he didnt design anything that ended up in the military or directly for the military. But other than the machine guns his designs were much more for the civilian market than military. For instance he designed the 1911 for Colt, a private civilian owned company. I think we'd have the 1911 even if it was never adopted by the military.
HaHa..I misunderstood then. Forgive me! I was thinking..."he sure must have heard of the Browning M2 .50 BMG before?" The Chicago Typewriter "Tommy"?" Haha...you scared me for a minute! LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Did everyone know John designed the Colt Woodsman .22 target pistol too?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
The demand of the consumer combined with the vision of the manufacturer drives the quality of firearms.

Look how far the quality of the 1911 has come without any regulation and look at the way Ronnie Barrett made the .50cal available to the common man.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Oh yeah...next to John Browning, Gaston Glock, Mikhail Kalashnikov... Eugene Stoner was a GENIUS!! These four men did more to shape firearms than any other IMO! Simply THE BEST!

The Blairs: Armalite Rifle - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting