Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of, or conversions, high power lever guns that don't look like a block of steel with a wood handle? Something flat shooting. I'd like a 94 or Marlin style lever gun with leverutions sp ammo if possible. The 99 is butt ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Browning BLR
BLR Lightweight Stainless with Pistol Grip, Lever Action Deer Rifle, Browning Firearms Product

They make various versions so if you don't like this particular model, click on BLR info for all models.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anyone know of, or conversions, high power lever guns that don't look like a block of steel with a wood handle? Something flat shooting. I'd like a 94 or Marlin style lever gun with leverutions sp ammo if possible. The 99 is butt ugly.
To each his own. Look at the Marlin website. They have been making some high powered versions as of a couple years ago. .308 caliber I think. Not sure how they do it technically.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Browning BLR
BLR Lightweight Stainless with Pistol Grip, Lever Action Deer Rifle, Browning Firearms Product

They make various versions so if you don't like this particular model, click on BLR info for all models.
Nice gun but the price
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
To each his own. Look at the Marlin website. They have been making some high powered versions as of a couple years ago. .308 caliber I think. Not sure how they do it technically.
Ya, it's like many weapons out there with a kind of cult following. Very efficient but I really like the old west style lever guns. Which is odd cause I like hipoint stuff.

A .308 would be an ideal lever gun for me.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
I have a Marlin 1897 guide gun in 45/70 that is pleasing.
Also a Browning BLR in .308 made in Belgium.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,595,573 times
check out the new Mossberg 464 SPX. It doesn't look like a block of steel with wood handles, because there's no wood on it. In fact, it's basically a "tactical" lever action. I like tactical rifles and lever actions, and think it's kind of cool, but it sort of seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/banner/41026.gif (broken link)

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=31&section=products - broken link)

Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,695,361 times
I have a guide gun in .45-70, but it is not a flat shooter. It's a sledge hammer. I have it for elk, bear (grizzly) and such in the backwoods. Great firearm and shoots true. If you want a flat shooting lever action- you will need to go to a BLR.

The Marlins are are okay, but some say the new production is 'blah'- Remington owns it. The BLR's are the best there is in standard calibers. I'd love to own one.

I have a pre-Remington Marlin guide gun- Love it and will not ever part with it.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-19-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have a Marlin 1897 guide gun in 45/70 that is pleasing.
Also a Browning BLR in .308 made in Belgium.
That there is a nice shootin iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
check out the new Mossberg 464 SPX. It doesn't look like a block of steel with wood handles, because there's no wood on it. In fact, it's basically a "tactical" lever action. I like tactical rifles and lever actions, and think it's kind of cool, but it sort of seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/banner/41026.gif (broken link)

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=31&section=products - broken link)
Dang! That thing is TACTICAL but alas it's only in .30-30? DRAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have a guide gun in .45-70, but it is not a flat shooter. It's a sledge hammer. I have it for elk, bear (grizzly) and such in the backwoods. Great firearm and shoots true. If you want a flat shooting lever action- you will need to go to a BLR.

The Marlins are are okay, but some say the new production is 'blah'- Remington owns it. The BLR's are the best there is in standard calibers. I'd love to own one.

I have a pre-Remington Marlin guide gun- Love it and will not ever part with it.
A portable mortar

So far the BLR looks like the match.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
The Browning BLR used to be made in Belgium till 1974 or so. I bought mine new in 1972 for $300.
The BLR's since 1975 are built in Japan. Japan turns out some quality firearms. I have been drooling over the Ithica SKB shotguns built there for decades.
Biggest change on the BLR line from Belgium to Japan is the magazine design. The Japanese line uses a more flush to the receiver line. I am still searching for a new Belgium magazine for mine, hate to be reliant on just the singe magazine I have.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nice gun but the price

Ya, it's like many weapons out there with a kind of cult following. Very efficient but I really like the old west style lever guns. Which is odd cause I like hipoint stuff.

A .308 would be an ideal lever gun for me.
Marlin does now make some new lever-gun chamberings in their own proprietary cartridges. The .308 Mrlin and a .338 as well. Sadly, they also have closed down the lever gun assembly line for now since the Remlin/Marlington (we gunnies all the new ones Gremlins...) are plagued by quality issues and are not accurate at present. My 1978 vintage (no tang safety either!! Huzzah!) 1895 will reliably shoot 5 rounds @ 1900 fps (40 gr 3031 over a 300 gr Hornady HP) into 3/4 " @ 100 yds! Yep; no lie! Unusual I know, but by comparison, the several recently-made Gremlins I've had into my shop for "accuracy issues" won't do better than 4 - 6 inches !@80 yds. Marlin's tech line says, (regrettably, and with a perceptible sigh) that it's bad barrels! So put better ones on, guys! That damned Remington ben-counting upper mgmt! Well there goes their long-established reputation down the drain. Idiots!

The Winchester 71: currently made by Miroku in Japan (a good thing, btw...) and chambered in the effective .348 Win., and which was often custom-rechambered into the .45 Alaskan, a good thumpa-gun. Still hurt by that tubular mag of course., but then, there's them LeverEvo boolitz

It is a nice sleek-looking and easy handling piece though. Here 'tis!

Model 71 Standard, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Good idea. Don't let it go, 3R! BTW, I'm sure you have tried those LeverEvo rounds? To wit: 323 gr @about 2300 fps. Really REALLY tough recoil though. But it does make it an honest 250 yd elk gun for sure! and heck on bears, though a hard-cast 400 grainer @ 1800 fps will also do the trick. I know, I've killed a lot of black & one grizz (and even one v. curious and hungry polar bear) with that gun.

Regarding the LeverEvo 323 gr load, use it if you don't mind then setting up a visit to your local orthopedic surgeon to schedule a shoulder rebuild... Or better yet, reload (or have us do a custom reload for you...) those same bullets, but at let's say 2000 fps... Still very useful out to 200 yds+, and you'd then only need chiropractic help...

THe new Marlins in .308 & .338 do indeed take a LeverEvo round as well, which would make them v. good for at least 350 yds! But if'n it were me buying retail, I'd have to have the agreement with my gun store that if it didn't shoot at least a 2" group, with a scope, @ 100 yds, they'd have to take it back,m no questins asked. Just take it out and carefully shoot two 3 shot groups, and don't leave a single mark on it, or lose any of the packaging materials!!

I find the BLR kind of unusual looking, a blend of visible Ferrari rack & pinion steering gear on the bolt, coupled to a too-long and gawky receiver, which is then married, at gunpoint no doubt, with old Western styling. Yucko! IMHO of course...

A nice engraved late-model Savage 99 Commemorative (they made them up out of remaining parts, the 99 being far too expensive to manufacture anymore.) with a very nice piece of wood and some nice engraving, is a looker. Let's see if I can find that one on the net... hold on one.. Yup; at least here's a partial view: love that wood, huh?

Image Detail for - http://www.savagefest.net/RMEF_99/Right_Buttstock.JPG

I think it might have been chambered in 300 Savage? Not a bad round at all, plus you can go with the pointed boolitz! 150 or 165gr @≈ 2550 fps?

I'm also thinking you'd prob'ly have to pay quite a premium from some greedy collector, but then, good stuff is never cheap, right?

Let's see if three's any more pix: Nope. Too bad. Ido have one of the original brochures, I really should have bought about 5 of them, My FFL wholesale price was only $798 back then! Yikes, huh? I certainly woulda have kept one for hunting (I don't believe in safe queens no matter how pretty they are. Good honest use always looks good on a fine firearm!) What are they getting for them today on Gunbroker.com I wonder? Let's see...

Nope. Nada there! Quite rare one suspects....

Good luck!

Last edited by rifleman; 02-20-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting