Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM

555 posts, read 877,156 times

Advertisements

The S&W M&P 9c doesn't have a safety. That makes it scary to carry concealed, which I can do in AZ without a permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
The S&W M&P 9c doesn't have a safety. That makes it scary to carry concealed, which I can do in AZ without a permit.
You can buy one either way. You can also get a magazine disconnect if you want. I always buy mine without anything. Like a GLOCK or Sig Sauer...the safety is in between your ears.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Redirect Notice

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
This threads title makes as much sense as this picture. Full of non promise.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This threads title makes as much sense as this picture. Full of non promise.
I highly recommend all you guys to beg a friend who has one or go rent one sometime. You'll see!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 AM

45 posts, read 100,699 times
I've shot and trained folks on the M&P since it's introduction at several 'gun writers camps' that were held to introduce the gun. My early sample .40 was a regular performer, locking open 4 to 5 times per full magazine. An early hiccup and rectified as I've seen it little since then.

The first time I had one apart I noted that it's trigger mechanism was very simple. The trigger bar moved the sear to release the firing pin. At the time and for the next couple of years S&W literature was silent on what sort of action type the M&P was considered to have. All the retail POS literature was silent as were most of the other materials from the factory. The manuals for the Sigma and the SW99/990 series all referred to double action, which was not mentioned in the M&P manuals.

Then I noticed the so called 'gun press' referring to it as a 'double action only' pistol. Every gun publication talked about it this way. Then some major LE organizations with published specifications for 'double action only' were starting to pick up the M&P. I checked sample guns for a change in the mechanism and they remained the same, the trigger moving the sear to release the firing pin.

A major New England agency had the M&P on their short list until they did a mechanical compliance inspection where they determined that there was no trigger cocking feature to the M&P and therefore was not 'double action only.'

For the past few years S&W has regularly featured catalogs describing the M&P as DOA, with an occasional stumble when some literature is completely silent on that point. It seems a small point. The XD was found to be a single action pistol (in spite of the many gun reviews stating otherwise) and that did not affect it's relative level of popularity.

It is probably a small thing. But why be misleading over a small thing? Is it to gain government contracts? S&W seems to have taken a page from the XD game book in providing a mushy/indistinct trigger, possibly clouding the issue for the casual or inept evaluator.

The after market industry has certainly cleaned up the trigger pull and shooters benefit from it. I'd rather see S&W be up front about it's product and provide a factory trigger that does not require owners to seek outside help.

A small issue, but it begs the question of why?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM

69 posts, read 175,398 times
I really thought this thread was going to be informative. So far all I've gotten out of it is that SamTM can't accept ANY criticism of the M&P what so ever.

I don't think I'll buy one now.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
I really thought this thread was going to be informative. So far all I've gotten out of it is that SamTM can't accept ANY criticism of the M&P what so ever.

I don't think I'll buy one now.
LOL I can accept criticism. Lies I can't let go and turn the blind eye on. Ok, so ALL M&P 9mms are junk and jam as well as accuracy stinks! That's BS DUDE! LOL How am I going to prove that too all of you? Why, it's REAL simple. Take the M&P challenge yourself and shoot one! I'm so sure, I'm not going to think twice about telling you to shoot one yourself. I don't know where these guys on the forums are getting their BAD, inaccurate info. I sure don't see it! What do you mean not informative? You got a lot more than you would/will get in a gun shop. I know that as fact. My nose was to the grind all weekend. I'll get to the range and post those pics ASAP like I said I would!

Last edited by SamTM; 03-04-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 PM

I have thought about adding one of these to my G34 3rd Gen for another "race" and competition handgun. Now... I've seen guys shoot these on my range before. I can testify what he does with this one! That ain't NO lie!

Smith & Wesson M&P9 Pro Series 9mm Pistol - YouTube

Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM

69 posts, read 175,398 times
I rented one at the range a few weeks ago. It shot well, and at indoor range distances it was accurate enough. I have no problem with the trigger at all. However, in the six pages of this thread I'm not finding very many people praising the pistol. It's more of a pissing contest, and as I said earlier, I'm not finding it very informative.

I was jonesing for one of these a couple of months ago, and read a lot of reviews on them, and watched a lot of videos....almost all were good. The one experience I had with one at the range was positive. I just don't want to buy one...or at least not a new one. If I could find a heck of a deal on a used one I might get a .45
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting