Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

69 posts, read 174,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I have an older model S&W 6906, 9mm. I LUV that weapon. hicap mag rapid fire, hydrashok ammo 25' range, shot group = less than 2½".

Unfortunately, I am not near as good with the 45, my shot group is quite a bit wider.

I luv that 6906.

I like these a lot. When I was thinking of getting back into 9mm a friend let me borrow one of his three 6906s for nearly a month. I took it to the range a few times. Maybe shot 600 or so rounds thru it. He's telling me that there are a quite a few police trade-ins available....that's where he got two of his. I may look into one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,165,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
I rented one at the range a few weeks ago. It shot well, and at indoor range distances it was accurate enough. I have no problem with the trigger at all. However, in the six pages of this thread I'm not finding very many people praising the pistol. It's more of a pissing contest, and as I said earlier, I'm not finding it very informative.

I was jonesing for one of these a couple of months ago, and read a lot of reviews on them, and watched a lot of videos....almost all were good. The one experience I had with one at the range was positive. I just don't want to buy one...or at least not a new one. If I could find a heck of a deal on a used one I might get a .45
They shoot very well and run like tops. Not many people have a lot of hands on range time with them. They still are fairly new and less than a decade old. You can't PRAISE one if you never fired one before. You SURE can talk a lot of smack and put the series down though. That's nonsense, and what I would call a ta-ta-ta tro**! I own no less than four of them. My buddies all own at lest two of them. My PD was issued them in '07 after a shootout of Springfield XD, Beretta PX4, Walther P99 and FNP40. The M&P 40 and M&P 40C (back up) still remain the favorite. They still are mine too out of the test weapons. I'll be buying more for sure. I already have enough GLOCKs, HKs, Sigs and everything else!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,380,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
I like these a lot. When I was thinking of getting back into 9mm a friend let me borrow one of his three 6906s for nearly a month. I took it to the range a few times. Maybe shot 600 or so rounds thru it. He's telling me that there are a quite a few police trade-ins available....that's where he got two of his. I may look into one of those.

Those Smiths are nice, I like them anyway. I'v got an older first run model 39 I love but its got issues & ocasionally double taps. Had a smith work it over & tried myself, I know whats going on but not how to adress it. Might be something they adressed in the following variations. At any rate I'm looking for a newer one to use. When I find it I'll send this one back to S&W, on the phone they sounded like they thought they could get it running.
Mines acurate beyond expectation & tucks away easy being a single stack gun.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
.WELL trained and experienced shooters don't need a safety on anything but a 1911. .

Why is that? Any single action pistol when cocked is as liable to go bang on its own as a 1911 no?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why is that? Any single action pistol when cocked is as liable to go bang on its own as a 1911 no?
Does a GLOCK have a "manual" safety? How about a Sig Sauer or a revolver? The safety is in between your ears! Only "cocked and locked" handguns need a safety. Any traditional double action or striker fired handgun does not. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to fire. Any use of a manual safety other than "cocked and locked" weapons shows....well...lack of training! In civilian life, that is.

Last edited by SamTM; 03-05-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM

135 posts, read 175,874 times
Hello.

Never fired a Glock or an S&W but have used an L106A1 (Sig P226 Varient) and found it to be accurate, easily maintained and had the effect i was after on the targets when i used it.

It's a good weapon and worth considering anyway.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello.

Never fired a Glock or an S&W but have used an L106A1 (Sig P226 Varient) and found it to be accurate, easily maintained and had the effect i was after on the targets when i used it.

It's a good weapon and worth considering anyway.
Spoiler
I agree, I think that a Sig Sauer P-226 is a very nice weapon. I own several of them. It's the ONE that everyone wants that always gets their attention that is my favorite. M&Ps still ROCK too!

US Navy Recruiting Ad - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Does a GLOCK have a "manual" safety? How about a Sig Sauer or a revolver? The safety is in between your ears! Only "cocked and locked" handguns need a safety. Any traditional double action or striker fired handgun does not. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to fire. Any use of a manual safety other than "cocked and locked" weapons shows....well...lack of training! In civilian life, that is.
A revolver isnt cocked until you **** the hammer. Arent the Glocks, M&P & others like it cocked all the time? If theyre true double actions I agree, but if theyre single actions whats the difference between them in battery with a finger off the trigger and a 1911, especially a series 80? Remember, double action doesnt just mean long trigger pull. It means the trigger ***** the gun too, because the fireing pin or hammer is not precocked. A 1911 has a saftey because when cocked with a round in the chamber squeezing the trigger will discharge the gun, keeping your finger off the 1911 trigger keeps it from fireing the same as not squeezing the trigger on a Glock does no?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
A revolver isnt cocked until you **** the hammer. Arent the Glocks, M&P & others like it cocked all the time? If theyre true double actions I agree, but if theyre single actions whats the difference between them in battery with a finger off the trigger and a 1911, especially a series 80? Remember, double action doesnt just mean long trigger pull. It means the trigger ***** the gun too, because the fireing pin or hammer is not precocked. A 1911 has a saftey because when cocked with a round in the chamber squeezing the trigger will discharge the gun, keeping your finger off the 1911 trigger keeps it from fireing the same as not squeezing the trigger on a Glock does no?
On a Kahr, GLOCK, S&W M&P... I don't think twice about having one chambered and having the striker cocked. You can carry a HK USP or CZ-75B cocked and locked too. I don't do it. I just have the round chambered with the hammer down. The same can be said about my Beretta 92FSs. On my Sig Sauers, I have a round chambered but with the hammer down too. The only handgun I carry "cocked and locked" is a 1911. It took many years to warm up to that idea in itself for me. What I meant about a safety is...say a double action semi-auto.... Why put the safety on with the hammer down? In that condition it's the same a revolver. With that said, I never use my safeties on any handgun except a 1911. There is no need to. It just slows you down one more step in the event you need to get it out in a damn hurry. On a 1911...you practice flipping it off after you have it out of the holster and your looking for your sight picture.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM

For example...when you look at my Wilson CQB that is in condition 1 "cocked and locked" and my S&W M&P 45, which one makes you more nervous? It SHOULD be the CQB. I'll also state then when I store all my handguns including my Kahr, M&Ps and GLOCKs, I ALWAYS dryfire them on an emty chamber and let the spring tension off the striker spring! There is no sense in leaving it cocked in storage mode. I also think this is a perfect photo for the S&W M&P and exactly HOW good it is and what my opinion of them is. You see a $2,700 Wilson CQB sitting right next to a $469 (stock) + $89 Apex tactical/duty carry kit. Yeah, I think the S&W M&P is really that good! If this pic doesn't do it for ya, I don't know what will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting