Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

States With the Most Guns in 2012 - The Daily Beast

Here's an interesting article, though it's accuracy is admittedly questionable. Glad to see my state continues to rank at the top when it comes to gun ownership stats...though I'm still not sure exactly why guns are so incredibly popular here in the Beehive State.

Or maybe it's just me skewing the stats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
States With the Most Guns in 2012 - The Daily Beast

Here's an interesting article, though it's accuracy is admittedly questionable. Glad to see my state continues to rank at the top when it comes to gun ownership stats...though I'm still not sure exactly why guns are so incredibly popular here in the Beehive State.

Or maybe it's just me skewing the stats...
It's questionable. One of the biggest for decades is way down there.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
Really wierd figures. Texas is no. 32?
Do states generaly do background checks on long guns? I have a few and have never had a background check. If not all states do background checks consistantly, I wonder why they even when thru the trouble.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I think it's more likely due to the fact that states with larger populations are going to be ranked downward because you have a smaller portion of the population weighed against the majority. What I've noticed about Texas is that a plurality of people have firearms, and most of those people have more than one or two or five firearms.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Really wierd figures. Texas is no. 32?
Do states generaly do background checks on long guns? I have a few and have never had a background check. If not all states do background checks consistantly, I wonder why they even when thru the trouble.
All 50 States do a background check on a long gun if it comes from an FFL sale. That's Federal law. I can't recall exactly when it kicked in. I'm thinking late 90's or early 2000's. I went for a long dryspell from about '98 to '03 where I didn't buy hardly anything. It was somewhere in that time. The sunset of the '04 AWB in '04 RECHARGED me. I had everything I wanted up until then. Who wanted to buy a bunch of gay post '94 AWB neutured weapons anyway? LOL Before, I just filled out the 4473 on the long gun and had to show a valid drivers license. The first step after that (post '98 approx) was adding a background check if you didn't hold a valid carry license, and a waiting period on a long gun for the first time. If you did hold a license to carry, you walked with it that day. If you didn't, you waited. Prior to '98 (approx) all sales of handguns had a waiting period if you didn't hold a valid license to carry. If you did, you walked with that day the same as the long gun. Now, EVERY FFL sale has a background check, and you walk with either following the sale that day, if you check out clean. No waiting period for either. Some States still have one in place, but not all. The ones that do most likely require an additional permit to purchace or something. Only the Nazi States, mind you.

Last edited by GOBBARK; 03-24-2012 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Bold FFL ONLY

Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM

Damn....I'm good! It was '98! FBI — Gun Checks/NICS The last thing I bought was in '97 and it hadn't kicked in yet.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
We're FORTIETH?
Everyone I know owns at least two guns!
Of course they're basing it on background checks; a lot of folks around here 'inherit' their guns, and many 'long guns' are bought out-of-state. If it's a shorter ride to Kansas, Wyoming, or South Dakota to buy a long gun, most people would prefer 2 hours to 4 or 5.
Poor sunnyandcloudydays - you live in an area where about all there is to shoot is people.
We don't. Between varmints, cattle rustlers (yes they still exist, only they have trucks and 4-wheelers instead of horses) and the endless hunting seasons here, we use our guns and depend on them. Everyone carries, everyone knows it, no one cares. In fact, one of our local ranchers has had an incursion of a pack of wild dogs - pit bulls and mutts - and everyone's invited to go hunt them down before they kill the new calves.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Only 6000 NICS checks per 100K residents in Ohio? Wow, that number might be cut in half if they subtracted myself and the friends I am going shooting with today.
States with the highest percentage of gun owners...-toys.jpg

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
6. Wyoming
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,986
Previous rank: 4th
Wow. Our total population is just over 500,000,

I wonder what the actual numbers are since Wyoming did away with the Concealed Carry. Permit is no longer requred.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
We're FORTIETH?
Everyone I know owns at least two guns!
Of course they're basing it on background checks; a lot of folks around here 'inherit' their guns, and many 'long guns' are bought out-of-state. If it's a shorter ride to Kansas, Wyoming, or South Dakota to buy a long gun, most people would prefer 2 hours to 4 or 5.
Poor sunnyandcloudydays - you live in an area where about all there is to shoot is people.
We don't. Between varmints, cattle rustlers (yes they still exist, only they have trucks and 4-wheelers instead of horses) and the endless hunting seasons here, we use our guns and depend on them. Everyone carries, everyone knows it, no one cares. In fact, one of our local ranchers has had an incursion of a pack of wild dogs - pit bulls and mutts - and everyone's invited to go hunt them down before they kill the new calves.
This is very true. Private sales, news paper, garage sales aren't included. You shouldn't be buying firearms out of State without an FFL transaction though. AKA Gun Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting