Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times

Advertisements

Here are a few simple facts:
1. Gauge: how many lead spheres of a specific size weigh a pound. So...the higher the shotgun gauge number, the smaller the diameter. There are quite a few shotgun gauges but the most common are 12, 16, 20, and 28. The .410 also has a following, but it is described as a caliber.
2. Caliber: a diameter measured in 100ths of an inch. Also measured in millimeters. For reference, 7mm is about a .284 caliber. A 30/06 has to do with a 30 caliber round designed in 1906 (happens to measure .308 inches). Sometimes cartridge length is also part of the discription , as in the 7 X 56mm. I might be wrong but I think the .45/70 mixes inches and mm (cal. X case length). The 7mm/08 is a 7mm bullet fitted to a .308 bullet casing. 'All kinds of odd mixes of references when it comes to ammo, so it can get confusing!
3. Choke: on a shotgun barrel choke regulates the spread of shot. On the trap field you will find a lot of full and extra full choke guns (for long shots). On the skeet field you will find "skeet 1" and "skeet 2" chokes (close shots). Most bird hunting shotguns are in the "improved cylinder" or "modified" choke ranges. There are other terms for these- I believe improved cylinder is also known as 1/4 choke....don't quote me!
4. Bullets are identified by caliber but also by weight. So a .308 caliber deer load my utilize a 130 grain or 150 grain bullet, while an elk load might utilize 168 or 180 grain bullets in that caliber. More weight provides better penetration but less velocity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Others have pointed you in the direction of safety courses. Most of the courses will cover your state regulations.

However; the OP has Jersey listed as location. NJ laws are very restrictive on what you can use and buy. Here is a link to the beginning of your reading assignment before you start considering guns and hunting: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html Make sure you read all the related links on that page. I had a friend forty years ago that crossed into NJ from PA; without full knowledge of their laws - I don’t know what happened to him; I never saw him again after they opened his trunk. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I hunted with my step father as a small child and have been around guns my whole life. My husband also spent a lot of time around them.

So what I know is:
what a shotgun is. what a handgun is. what a rifle is. that a .22 is really little and a 50 cal is really big. Other than that, i dont know a whole lot.

So is there like a basic guns for dummies or something where I can learn some things. I look online but as i dont already know the "lingo" i end up going from website to website trying to figure out names and suffixes and prefixes and gauges/calibers... any help?
You'll learn a great deal at gun shops and gun shows. You can follow up on that info at a shooting range. Just hanging around and keeping open ears and an open mind works wonders.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
You'll learn a great deal at gun shops and gun shows. You can follow up on that info at a shooting range. Just hanging around and keeping open ears and an open mind works wonders.

I'd dissagree. Found that the best places to get misinformation are places like gun shops & gun shows. Kinda like going to a car dealership to learn about cars. Course there are things you can learn there, once you know enough to know when the guy behind the counter or table really knows what he's talking about. A range is a little better but you still need to know who to take seriously & who not to. Its kinda like coming here for info, you can get great info, but you need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff and its not easy if you dont know what your talking about already. Plenty of guys will stand firm in their conviction while spreading false info too. Thing is, just because someone thinks their right dont make it so.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Others have pointed you in the direction of safety courses. Most of the courses will cover your state regulations.

However; the OP has Jersey listed as location. NJ laws are very restrictive on what you can use and buy. Here is a link to the beginning of your reading assignment before you start considering guns and hunting: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html Make sure you read all the related links on that page. I had a friend forty years ago that crossed into NJ from PA; without full knowledge of their laws - I don’t know what happened to him; I never saw him again after they opened his trunk. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I hadnt noticed that. Guess the best first move to anyone interested in firearms in Jersey may be relocating.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'd dissagree. Found that the best places to get misinformation are places like gun shops & gun shows. Kinda like going to a car dealership to learn about cars. Course there are things you can learn there, once you know enough to know when the guy behind the counter or table really knows what he's talking about. A range is a little better but you still need to know who to take seriously & who not to. Its kinda like coming here for info, you can get great info, but you need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff and its not easy if you dont know what your talking about already. Plenty of guys will stand firm in their conviction while spreading false info too. Thing is, just because someone thinks their right dont make it so.
I'd disagree on that. You are talking to real gun guys with enough knowledge they are smart enough to buy at gun shows for discount prices and better selection. It beats the hell outta mall ninjas on the net!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Of course the guys who just like to play on the computer won't be there. They don't want to be seen in public and laughed at. You also won't see the guys too afraid to buy from an FFL with a 4473 there either. They're buying second hand on the STREET!

Last edited by SamTM; 03-05-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I'd disagree on that. You are talking to real gun guys with enough knowledge they are smart enough to buy at gun shows for discount prices and better selection. It beats the hell outta mall ninjas on the net!

Nothing beats educateing yourself. Why would you trust the opinion of someone trying to sell you something? I can go to 10 different shops & get ten different opinions & at a gun show you can visit ten tables & hear about ten different lines that are the best. Wouldnt know about mall ninjas, but I train with & shoot with LEO all the time & wouldnt trust them just because of their job either.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Are we talking about the buyers or sellers? I had assumed you meant the sellers, its true you can get decent evaluations from some at gun shows, but you just dont know if the guy you are talking to knows his stuff or is a wannabe.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Are we talking about the buyers or sellers? I had assumed you meant the sellers, its true you can get decent evaluations from some at gun shows, but you just dont know if the guy you are talking to knows his stuff or is a wannabe.
When you see the same guys at the same shows for the last 30 years, you listen to them. Like I said, I'd trust them walking around with a high quality firearm over their shoulder or a high quality handgun in a case they just bought or on their hip before I would trust someone on the net any day. He actually bought it or owns one. I can verify that as FACT. He's not just talking out of his ass on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting