Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,941,317 times

Advertisements

If your reasoning had any merit at all wittic, why is it that the military has been picking up most all combat weapons of 5.56 caliber in Iraq and Afganistan and replacing them with the M14 variants? This has been going on for years. Why? Because the M16 is a short range weapon and distances are too long in the desert environment. The idea behind the M16 was from research in the Korean War. They determined that a normal grunt couldn't hit but 17% of the time at 100 yds and that increased to over 50% at 50 yds. As they saw it, there was no need for the power or range of the M14. In Viet Nam it was a mixed response to the weapon as the country is a lot more like Texas or Arizona in that you don't have far to travel to be in completely different environments. You can be in open rice paddies where the M60 was king or you could be in the thick jungles where the M16 was decent but the 30 carbine and Thompson much better. There is no one prime combat weapon of any caliber. If there was, we'd still be using the 45-70 as it works any where, any time. But you'd need more people to haul the ammo than shooters.

And no, there are no winners of any NRA 600 yd meet using the 223/5.56. Nice try but yer in my back yard when talking about this. And since you are apparently clueless about the game, the record group for that distance is in non-competition the group is 1.3" and the confirmed, certified record in competition is 1.67" at 600 yds. The bore diameter was a 6mm as is almost all of the long range shooters now. The record was set last month with Tims 6mmBRx using a Borden action and Bartlein barrel. The score is for a 6 shot aggregate. Try that with yer 223.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If your reasoning had any merit at all wittic, why is it that the military has been picking up most all combat weapons of 5.56 caliber in Iraq and Afganistan and replacing them with the M14 variants? This has been going on for years. Why? Because the M16 is a short range weapon and distances are too long in the desert environment. The idea behind the M16 was from research in the Korean War. They determined that a normal grunt couldn't hit but 17% of the time at 100 yds and that increased to over 50% at 50 yds. As they saw it, there was no need for the power or range of the M14. In Viet Nam it was a mixed response to the weapon as the country is a lot more like Texas or Arizona in that you don't have far to travel to be in completely different environments. You can be in open rice paddies where the M60 was king or you could be in the thick jungles where the M16 was decent but the 30 carbine and Thompson much better. There is no one prime combat weapon of any caliber. If there was, we'd still be using the 45-70 as it works any where, any time. But you'd need more people to haul the ammo than shooters.

And no, there are no winners of any NRA 600 yd meet using the 223/5.56. Nice try but yer in my back yard when talking about this. And since you are apparently clueless about the game, the record group for that distance is in non-competition the group is 1.3" and the confirmed, certified record in competition is 1.67" at 600 yds. The bore diameter was a 6mm as is almost all of the long range shooters now. The record was set last month with Tims 6mmBRx using a Borden action and Bartlein barrel. The score is for a 6 shot aggregate. Try that with yer 223.
300 meters is good for me and my standard A-2 sights on my AR-15s. I'm glad you caught that too Trapper.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM

He was talking about these. The same thing I was with the 1" barrel and very long COL reloads with heavy bullets. It's still far behind the M-14/M1A. http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic...on%20Parts.pdf

Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,941,317 times
I bought one of the first DPMS DCM Match rifles they made. It has the globe with level front sight and rear peep. So yeah, I know about those first hand as I own one. Mine still shoots the 62gr match pills better than the 75's or 69s thought even with the 1:7 twist. I shoot the 200 meter offhand DCM match every summer. While I'm not great, I haven't embarrassed myself....yet.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I bought one of the first DPMS DCM Match rifles they made. It has the globe with level front sight and rear peep. So yeah, I know about those first hand as I own one. Mine still shoots the 62gr match pills better than the 75's or 69s thought even with the 1:7 twist. I shoot the 200 meter offhand DCM match every summer. While I'm not great, I haven't embarrassed myself....yet.
I don't own one, but have looked at them before. They were very heavy with that 1" barrel. The barrel is a 1:8 twist with a two stage trigger and a matched bolt. I still favor the M-14/M1A over them. I have more time behind the trigger of my M1A than I do my Armalite AR-10 A2. It's sure hard to beat a standard M1A or M-14...let alone a bedded and tuned up one.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM

If I had some optics...550 meters MAX for me.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
I know I will never hear the end of this, but on my M1A, I have a Sage EBR stock. I love it and it works great, plus it makes the rifle a bit lighter.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,924,442 times
Default Love Them USFAs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
In the fairly near future there will be a groom's gift forthcoming for a former marine officer. This is a man who is in dire need of an old school cavalry officer's sidearm. I want to get him a shootable 7 1/2" 1873 single action army with a callsign engraving on the barrel. I'm trying to find a good reason to ask the wedding party for the additional money for a USFA custom as opposed to a Cimmaron. Any input?
Yes. If the recipient will be an active shooter, the Cimmaron is likely to disappoint, because it's pretty much a statistical crap-shoot on the metallurgy of all their internals. In SAS, there are a lot of internal failures in Cimmarons until a good Colt gunnie corrects them with a load of replacement parts.

USFA offers a far superior product, and it's assembled in the US out of approved parts that are either made here or very carefully QA'd out of the Italian supplier.

NOTE: I had heard they have moved to ENTIRELY US-made components however,

(NOTE on that: I just found this note in Wiki:

"U. S. Fire Arms Mfg. Co. is the only gun company still manufacturing in the City of Hartford, CT. Though their product line is based on early American designs, USFA employs modern CNC machine technology.[2] This technology enables USFA guns to be efficiently manufactured entirely in the USA.[3] Due to space limitations, USFA built an additional production location outside of the Blue Dome in order to accommodate their CNC machinery."

U.S. Fire Arms Manufacturing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bingo!

Tt's also very well known that they are far and away better built than the new Gen 3 Colts. That's why they are so very popular on SAS shooting (while thus engaged, I'm "Doc Plinkerton", btw...)

So, in the end, I'd rather have a basic USFA piece than a ginned-up Cimmaron.

Image Detail for - http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/74141431/10356298/img_0048.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Why not get him this one? ()

Image Detail for - http://www.powleyengraving.com/USFA45Colt_copy.jpg

(after all, you only get to spend Really Big Money like this once in a lifetime!)

Good shootin'! (And PM me about possible prices..)

Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I know I will never hear the end of this, but on my M1A, I have a Sage EBR stock. I love it and it works great, plus it makes the rifle a bit lighter.
One thing that I've found over the years is that the fiberglass stocks are a touch more accurate than the birch or walnut on a standard grade M1A/M-14. They don't look as pretty though. If two guys are shooting side by side...one has a walnut stock and one has a fiberglass, assuming both are equals, the guy with the fiberglass stock will beat him usually.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM

You probably figured out Sam KNOWS more about the M1A than he is letting on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting