Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,928,657 times

Advertisements

Here's what Yahoo News put up today:

Caught on Tape: Grizzly Bear Charges Photographers - Yahoo!

PS: I did a grad degree on problem polar and grizz bears and their aggressive behavior around people and oil rigs, pipelines etc. etc.

SO.. the media description here is: "Incredible video shows massive bear charging at photographers in the wild."

So natch, I checked it out and what do I, as an expert, see here?

One... Look closely. Watch it, read this, then watch it again. The bear is just sauntering along minding his own bear's-iness, but then he suddenly turns and runs away... from...? He is also a long ways away from the fishermen here. See the telegraphic lens retraction going on here? He's at least 75 yds away to begin with. At least!

Two... He's OBVIOUSLY responding to something [or, as Willima Shatner would say: SOME.......THING!!!] in the bushes ahead of him. Plus, he ain't no MASSIVE Grizz bear! More like your typical smallish, leanish 320 - 380 lb male, maybe 1.5 to two years of age or so... He's what we bear biologists call a "sub-adult" juvie, a sort of out-of-place and not yet socially adjusted teenaged bear!

So he's been bumped around for most of his life since momma kicked him out-the nest, so to speak. Fact is he's rather easily frightened at this time in his life! Fortunately there's a lot of salmon available in these Alaskan streams

Three.. So then he runs, coincidentally, towards the home video person, but hey: his ears are up, not down, with no jaw clump-clumping, with spittle foam dripping out the sides [NOT a good sign, btw... get away if that's happening...] They do this whenever they are really pissed-off, threatened by you, or just plain nasty-aggressive and aiming it towards you..). He's almost facing backwards then, and what else does he do?

Why, he keeps looking over his shoulder, prob'bly looking for that particulary bully-ish big old boar-male that's been on his case for the past 4 weeks...

Four... Then, even though he's supposedly and apparently in the throws of an aggressive attack, he stops, looks back again (perhaps he feels safer near those nice human people? After all, he thinks, "sometimes that nice smiling lady fisherperson over there even leaves him a nice tuna-fish sam-ich! Or, like last week when she even left him some beer and chips!"). But then, ears all up and stuff, he quite casually shakes the water off his back! And then rambles closer to those people, about which he is entirely non-plussed. Heck; he already knows who'd win in that confront, eh?

All of this is not what a bear ever does just before feasting on your left femur! Unless... hmmm... maybe he simply wants to wash up before din-dins? A fastidious grizz kid? Hee Hee.

So then, after he feels safe with his human friends (and after all, there's no tartar sauce to eat with them, and they are all wrapped up in that damned GoreTex™; it's like trying to eat that tuna-fish sammy with the Cling-Wrap still on it...)

And that woman's smiling face in the last few seconds? See how terrified she is? PS: she probably personally knows ol' blue eyes here, and talks to him affably when they both come here every few days to mutually go fishin' tuh-gether! In fact, it looks like, in the last few seconds of this startling home vid, that he's going to graze on something on the beach. Probably a luverly two-day-old old fish head or the like. Starving? Not BL**%y likely!

"Well, see you tomorrow, Blackie, OK? Have a good night, but watch out for old Sore Butt back there!"

And this is cutting-edge media? OK then... so.. what can we also say about their compelling in-depth coverage of, oh... the Middle East sitch? Or the goings-on in Washington, DC?

Cue the dramatic News Flash Musak: "Today some highly aggressive Democrats/Republicans charged each other in Congress, looking for fresh new blood to spill!"

Yup.

Nighty night all!

Last edited by rifleman; 03-02-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,173,334 times
Redirect Notice

The Incredible Hulk -- Lou Ferrigno vs. Bear - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM

The^ .500 S&W...there is NO substitute!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
It is not enough that man spreads out and displaces wild life. They then go out to National parks and want to displace the wild life there as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
It is not enough that man spreads out and displaces wild life. They then go out to National parks and want to displace the wild life there as well.
Only in self defense.

Tooth Fang and Claw - YouTube

Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,928,657 times
Default Good Bart Bear! Don't eat the film star!

When I studied bears in grad school, I actually met Bart The Bear, who, I'm pretty sure, is the cute little guy in the Lou Ferrigno clip above. And to think, as a teenager, I used to watch that stuff and enjoy it! He was very well trained, and you can see some of that in this clip.

(Of course, I was also a Christian back then.. But heck, huh? we do all grow up. Or at least some of us )

Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,371,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I've been reading/hearing a lot of that in the media for decades.

The term "displace" puzzles me, though. Just where did human evolution over the past several million years take place, in a shopping mall, cities....???

Human kind never lived in the woods, plains, mountains, valleys, etc? We always lived in town next door to the Neandertals?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,892 times
We need an incredible video of a grizzly bear wandering into Starbucks.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
I'm guessing that the bear in the OP wasn't sure of what they were at first perhaps because of near-sightedness, so he rushed toward them to investigate, but stopped when he found out that the film crew smelled like Lou Ferrigno.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm guessing that the bear in the OP wasn't sure of what they were at first perhaps because of near-sightedness, so he rushed toward them to investigate, but stopped when he found out that the film crew smelled like Lou Ferrigno.
I posted it so you guys would laugh! LOL I still remembered that 30+ year old scene and found it right away when I looked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting