Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
There's a major problem with yer gun- Marlin never chambered the 1883 in 30-30. Even the Model 1895 wasn't chambered for the then current 30-30 Winchester but for a nearly identical cartridge of Marlin "design". The barrel would be marked 30-30-S. So your new find might not be worth throwing in the trash as it sounds like a "put together" rifle. As such I would suggest strongly that the rifle be taken to a competent gunsmith and headspaced before attempting to shoot anything at all in it. You might just find out that the reason someone left it is because it's worthless and junk.
VERY good advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Quote:
You on the Marlin collectors forum?
I generally avoid most forums. This is about the only one. I was on the Marlin Forum years back but then they closed it and I never went back. Gun forums are a lot like the motor oil forums, you can give the exact detailed information and yet some idiot is going to post something offensive to what you just said with posted detailed information and then there are the 30 others that would rather follow the dimwit rather then learn something. If I told you that using a synthetic oil was not doing your engine any favors and that a cheaper blend is far better, would you attempt to learn why or just follow the synthetic sales people? Most will follow the sale people as they can make extraordinary claims, give expert data but none of it applies to an engine, and blatantly lie to you yet I can give you test results of thousands of engines just like yours that say their claims are BS. But I end up being the idiot for the effort. I'm a retired Tribologist and a PE. So no, I don't do forums. And if you do the forums, I'm sure you've witnessed the pissin' contests that seem to haunt every forum.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I generally avoid most forums. This is about the only one. I was on the Marlin Forum years back but then they closed it and I never went back. Gun forums are a lot like the motor oil forums, you can give the exact detailed information and yet some idiot is going to post something offensive to what you just said with posted detailed information and then there are the 30 others that would rather follow the dimwit rather then learn something. If I told you that using a synthetic oil was not doing your engine any favors and that a cheaper blend is far better, would you attempt to learn why or just follow the synthetic sales people? Most will follow the sale people as they can make extraordinary claims, give expert data but none of it applies to an engine, and blatantly lie to you yet I can give you test results of thousands of engines just like yours that say their claims are BS. But I end up being the idiot for the effort. I'm a retired Tribologist and a PE. So no, I don't do forums. And if you do the forums, I'm sure you've witnessed the pissin' contests that seem to haunt every forum.

Yup sure have, goes on here to a degree too. The Collectors forum though is different, that stuff doesnt go on much & isnt tolerated when it does. Alot of good info is available & they have, or had, acess to the records. Now that Remington owns Marlin I'm not sure that corroboration still exists. Its run by the Marlin Collectors Assoc.

I moderate on another forum, "Marlin owners forum" that grew from the old "Marlin talk" forum that Marlin used to host. We have a collectors forum in it as well. Some of the guys are from the MCA. Its grown to a very big forum, 25,000+ members, but we try to keep it running straight and mostly do a good job. We created a couple forums for folks to rant & whine in in an effort to keep that stuff out of the gun forums.

Theres ALOT of misinformation about guns out there proliferated by people on forums, some intentional but most ignorance.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I know a little about them. I collect old Marlins. Its not a 1883, its a 1893. Marlin, like other gun makers of the time named models after year of introduction. The 1893 came out in 1893 & was chambered i 30/30 from 1895 onward. Theres alot of 1893 30/30's so condition matters alot. It should have a case hardened reciever lever & hammer, everything else should be blued. Any pics?
Yeah, mia culpa, I mentally "autocorrected" 1883 to 1893. Probably any decent "real" gun store would have enough expertise to give an idea if it's in good enough shape to shoot, sort of a triage into 1 excellent shape, OK to use, 2 obvious problems, not OK, or 3 grey area, take to gunsmith. Realize such free advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

It just occurred to me that it might be possible to take an empty 30-30 case, and apply a few layers of masking tape to the head, see how many layers of tape you can put on before the action won't close and lock without forcing it, and then knowing the approximate thickness of the tape, figure out the headspace?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Y

It just occurred to me that it might be possible to take an empty 30-30 case, and apply a few layers of masking tape to the head, see how many layers of tape you can put on before the action won't close and lock without forcing it, and then knowing the approximate thickness of the tape, figure out the headspace?

Yup, that works. Measure the rim thickness too because they can & do vary. I'm not sure what the headspace tolerances are but it should be easy to find.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
After closer inspection, it does appear to say 1893. We are taking it to a gunsmith who specializes in antique restoration/repair. Thank you so much to all who responded. Nice to see so many enthusiats out there.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Don't clean it with anything until an expert looks at it and tells you what to do with it.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Don't clean it with anything until an expert looks at it and tells you what to do with it.
Very true. Particularly don't try to "touch up" the metal or stock finish - antique gun value is all about *original* condition.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Very true. Particularly don't try to "touch up" the metal or stock finish - antique gun value is all about *original* condition.
True. Unless you aim to shoot the heck out of it. I bought a Winchester 1897 in 12 gauge, took it to my gunsmith and said work it up. He adjusted it (needed very little), disassembled it, reblued it in deep Colt blue.

Very fine shooting iron. I shoot a lot of birds with it each season. I know they now make reproductions for SASS shooting. I enjoy the heck out shooting birds with a 100 year old shotgun.

My dad told me years ago about my Belgium made Browning BLR that he bought it for me for shooting not for hanging on the wall.
Same said for putting seat covers in a new car. Wear them out, then install seat covers. Fine things are made for using not for saving.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM

For me it depends on the gun. I'v restored a few completely & others just had them lined so theyre shootable. I like to be able to shoot my guns & doubt I'll ever buy one I cant unless I plan on fixing it up. I was recently given a Marlin 1889 I'll likely have lined & fit new wood to it. The woods already been oversanded and the bores pretty bad. I'll shoot it first though & if I can make it shoot I'll just do the wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting