Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow I am shooting a sporting clays course with some of my cousins who are in town for a wedding. Several of us are shoot skeet semi-regularly, while two cousins, who happen to be in high school, have never fired a shotgun before.

We have a few over-unders, a benelli autoloader, and a few pump guns. To simplify things, we are only bringing 12 gauges. Which of these is easiest for a new shooter? My first instinct is the new guys should get the OU's. However, I typically mix up the chokes when shooting sporting clays so that I have a tighter choke for the longer shots and a more open choke for the shorter shots. Will this be confusing for a new shooter? Should I just put cylinder chokes in both barrels and call it a day?

Any words of wisdom for introducing new shooters to the sport? For an experience perspective, I have shot sporting clays about a dozen times before, and I have been shooting skeet and trap (3-4 rounds/night)about once a month for the past four years. I am by no means an expert, but I am comfortable with the game in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
First of all, the gun has to be right. (Auto-loaders are not right - for either trap or skeet.) Most upland game guns will do for both, unless your shooting in competition when special characteristics are to be considered. Chokes have to do with shot patterns over distance; however, the most important thing is that the gun fit to your sight alignment. In the firing position, you should be able to point and shoot with both eyes open on the target. It is not a question of aiming, but pointing; which cannot be done if the gun does not fit.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Well for sporting clays I would give them a 12 gauge pump if they have never fired a shot gun.

I sure as heck hope you spend some time on safety.

Save the O/U and SxS when they gain more experience.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
A sporting clays is designed to simulate hunting. Every station throws up a clay pigeon at a different angle to give test the shooter practice shooting a variety of different shots, and every course, like a golf course, is different. Some of the stations roll the clays across the ground to simulate hunting rabbits, and other ones have different combinations of incoming, outgoing, and crossing shots. It is very different from skeet or trap. Most of the serious shooters are using OU's, but there are quite a few autoloaders as well.

As to fit, my shotguns all fit me, and luckily (being relatives I guess) we are all 6'2-6'4 190-210 lbs, so I am hoping the fit is good enough for my cousins, at least for the day.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
If its available on your pumps make sure the barrels are improved cylinder.

I would also have them bust a few boxes of shells on clays from a hand thrower going away from them to warm them up and increase their confidence.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
As to fit, my shotguns all fit me, and luckily (being relatives I guess) we are all 6'2-6'4 190-210 lbs, so I am hoping the fit is good enough for my cousins, at least for the day.
No. The gun has to fit you. If the cast is not right, you won't be able to hit anything, except by luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,499 times
The semi is going to have less felt recoil. The pump is a little simpler to use. I'm not a fan of O/U. They are overpriced for what they are and aren't any better than a double barrel or single shot for less money. Regardless, people make too big of issue of what you use. It's not the shotgun, it's the shooter.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Having shot Sporting Clays for several years I can tell you not to use a pump shotgun if anything else is available. New shooters struggle with pumps, and only very experienced shooters do well with them. On most courses you will be shooting ten shots from ten different stations, which are all set up just a bit differently. Some stations will require a quick follow up shot for the second bird, which is almost impossible with a pump in the hands of an inexperienced shooter. O/U's work the best because you can use a different choke in each barrel, something you can't do with the auto loader. Another thing, it is much easier to removed the two empty shell cases after shooting, than having to bend over and pick your empties up after the autoloader has ejected them on the ground to the right side of you. Most O/U's will have the stock set up for "cast off" or "cast on", depending on whether the shooter is right or left handed, you don't get that choice with an autoloader. O/u's are some of your most expensive shotguns, there is a reason for that, some inexperienced shooters just can't understand why that is. For a Skeet, Trap, or Sporting Clays shooter, who is really into the sport, and who will be shooting thousands of rounds of ammo a month these shotguns hold up better than an autoloader. Quality doubles (side by sides) hold up well also, but are not as popular in these sports. I've owned three different Berrettas, a Perotzi, and a Kreighoff over the years, the last one being a Berratta 687 EELL. Anyone of these shotguns would last a lifetime. I just noticed in the above post, post #7 the writer said you could use a double or single shot for less money, and that it isn't the shotgun, it's the shooter. It is obvious to me that GOBBARK has never shot Sporting Clays and knows nothing about the sport, otherwise, he wouldn't be giving out foolish info that is incorrect. Don't even think about using a single shot, it just won't work for this game. Each station requires two shots be fired, either as called for or on report. A gun that is well made, trouble free, and fits the shooter will give you higher scores than a gun that handicaps you. So, it can sometimes be the gun and not just the shooter. Sporting Clays courses usually require the shooter to use a low gun, while Skeet and Trap both allow the shotgun to be positioned on your shoulder before you call for the birds. At times I have helped my son set up the local Sporting Clays course, he has ran the local shoot for 17 years.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 03-31-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Having shot Sporting Clays for several years I can tell you not to use a pump shotgun if anything else is available. New shooters struggle with pumps, and only very experienced shooters do well with them. On most courses you will be shooting ten shots from ten different stations, which are all set up just a bit differently. Some stations will require a quick follow up shot for the second bird, which is almost impossible with a pump in the hands of an inexperienced shooter. O/U's work the best because you can use a different choke in each barrel, something you can't do with the auto loader. Another thing, it is much easier to removed the two empty shell cases after shooting, than having to bend over and pick your empties up after the autoloader has ejected them on the ground to the right side of you. Most O/U's will have the stock set up for "cast off" or "cast on", depending on whether the shooter is right or left handed, you don't get that choice with an autoloader. O/u's are some of your most expensive shotguns, there is a reason for that, some inexperienced shooters just can't understand why that is. For a Skeet, Trap, or Sporting Clays shooter, who is really into the sport, and who will be shooting thousands of rounds of ammo a month these shotguns hold up better than an autoloader. Quality doubles (side by sides) hold up well also, but are not as popular in these sports. I've owned three different Berrettas, a Perotzi, and a Kreighoff over the years, the last one being a Berratta 687 EELL. Anyone of these shotguns would last a lifetime. I just noticed in the above post, post #7 the writer said you could use a double or single shot for less money, and that it isn't the shotgun, it's the shooter. It is obvious to me that GOBBARK has never shot Sporting Clays and knows nothing about the sport, otherwise, he wouldn't be giving out foolish info that is incorrect. Don't even think about using a single shot, it just won't work for this game. Each station requires two shots be fired, either as called for or on report. A gun that is well made, trouble free, and fits the shooter will give you higher scores than a gun that handicaps you. So, it can sometimes be the gun and not just the shooter. Sporting Clays courses usually require the shooter to use a low gun, while Skeet and Trap both allow the shotgun to be positioned on your shoulder before you call for the birds. At times I have helped my son set up the local Sporting Clays course, he has ran the local shoot for 17 years.
I've SHOT cases and cases and cases of clays and skeet of all types. I never once used a O/U. I reloaded all my shells on a MEC 600 JR. I loved shooting against guys who's pride got the better of them with their O/U. I could smoke them with a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 1100 every single time. Next

Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 AM

Like I said OP, you shouldn't worry too much about your gear. It's always the shooter and how good of shot he or she is and how much they practice. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting