Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,749,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And when would you use pepper spray? When your life is in danger? If my life is in danger I meet it with lethal force, period.
When you carry a firearm you are aware you need to de-escelate situations, you need to retreat, etc. You don't get into fights, you don't engage in name calling, you don't flip off drivers. The proplem with less than lethal force is you are even more likely to use it when you don't need to, and that will get you into the greybar hotel as well, because it's a weapon regulated in some municipalities. I can tell you, I can anticipate very few situations were I would need pepper spray, particularly when you carry a firearm and stick to the legal use of force doctrines that gun carry requires. It's either going to be some kind of life threatening engagement, or nothing.
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count up all the uses I can think of. Including the rabid coon that supprizes you in your attic. Are going to shoot inside your house? I wouldn't, unless it was a person and life or death! In a perfect world every situation would be life or death where lethal force is required. In reality, it's clearly not. Nor is the fourteen year old kids that jump you at the mall ONLY TO KICK YOUR ASS to show off to their friends. At least I'll sleep better at night knowing I didn't waste them for making a mistake that they lost the rest of their lives for. I punch first, spray second, and shoot LAST! YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 PM

499 posts, read 2,154,332 times
I carry Sabre pepper spray. Some places you're not allowed to carry your firearm so it is the next best alternative.....IMO.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,418,523 times
I get a little confused about the strength of the bear spray.

My Frontiersmen Bear Attack label says capsaicin 2%. Is this the strongest I can get. This one, is 7.3 oz. and discharges 30 feet in 5 seconds. I have another one, but it is in my glove box. I think it may be 13 oz.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

381 posts, read 506,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count up all the uses I can think of. Including the rabid coon that supprizes you in your attic. Are going to shoot inside your house? I wouldn't, unless it was a person and life or death! In a perfect world every situation would be life or death where lethal force is required. In reality, it's clearly not. Nor is the fourteen year old kids that jump you at the mall ONLY TO KICK YOUR ASS to show off to their friends. At least I'll sleep better at night knowing I didn't waste them for making a mistake that they lost the rest of their lives for. I punch first, spray second, and shoot LAST! YMMV
when carrying conceal (CCW) and someone wants to start a fight, one only needs to do is step a few paces back, place hand in ready to draw position and say "i have a firearm, please back down." if they persist, then fault is theirs. i don't carry pepper spray because i don't value the lives of stupid people. i understand that stupid people also have families. but if they are stupid enough to attack me when they know i have a firearm, then so be it. nature takes it's course.

when i CCW, it's only when traveling into questionable parts of town with my family. i don't carry it when in my house or visiting friends.

seems like you have the wrong perception of those who CCW.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
when carrying conceal (CCW) and someone wants to start a fight, one only needs to do is step a few paces back, place hand in ready to draw position and say "i have a firearm, please back down." if they persist, then fault is theirs. i don't carry pepper spray because i don't value the lives of stupid people. i understand that stupid people also have families. but if they are stupid enough to attack me when they know i have a firearm, then so be it. nature takes it's course.

when i CCW, it's only when traveling into questionable parts of town with my family. i don't carry it when in my house or visiting friends.

seems like you have the wrong perception of those who CCW.
No, I never go ANYWHERE without a weapon. I prefer a firearm be at least one of them.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM

381 posts, read 506,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
No, I never go ANYWHERE without a weapon. I prefer a firearm be at least one of them.
i live in a community where at least one person is ccw. trust in the good guys outweighs my desire to ccw on a daily basis. i'm glad you're one of the good guys.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM

7,120 posts, read 11,791,487 times
At the point someone starts a physical confrontation with me that I can't evade/avoid, it's going to go to Deadly Force, because if they are able to overcome me they will have access to my weapon, and inasmuch as they are the aggressors, I can only presume that they will continue to escalate the confrontation - which means that I AM in reasonable and immediate fear for my life/safety.

You go ahead and try to whup 'em, spray 'em, whatever - I'm going to ensure my personal safety.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
At the point someone starts a physical confrontation with me that I can't evade/avoid, it's going to go to Deadly Force, because if they are able to overcome me they will have access to my weapon, and inasmuch as they are the aggressors, I can only presume that they will continue to escalate the confrontation - which means that I AM in reasonable and immediate fear for my life/safety.

You go ahead and try to whup 'em, spray 'em, whatever - I'm going to ensure my personal safety.
You know your own body and what you can do better than anyone else. If you think it's going to get ugly, just draw and shoot. I know better for me though. If I can avoid the hassle, I still can throw a nasty punch or spray them. You'll know when that time comes what to do. A "fighter" and a "killer" are two different men.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM

The guy who walks up to your window with a gun, knife or club while sitting at a railroad crossing? He's NOT a "fighter". He's lookin' to smoke yo ass!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,968,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Exactly.

I've got to chime in on a CCW and Part Time Carry. You have an obligation to yourself and more importantly to your family to keep them safe. I'm glad that you live in a safe neighborhood and can predict exactly what neighborhoods to carry and what neighborhoods to not carry and that all car jackings will happen in that neighbor and never ever, in areas you frequent, and that robbery's of jewelry stores, grocery stores, convienience stores also never happen in areas that you are in.

I feel, I have an obligation to protect my family and myself. I can not predict where or when that is going to be tasked, so I carry all the time. When I get dressed, my weapon slips on the same as my shoes slip on. I wouldn't think of even walking around my house without my weapon, yet alone anywhere else. At night, my loaded weapon lays on the nightstand in easy reach

I live out in the country and am probably a lot safer than most people. But that doesn't stop me from being prepared. If I carry all the time, I am used to it and never forget it and end up saying, "Well, I'll make this one trip to town, nothing will happen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting