Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting conversation the other day and was curious as to in addition to your handgun, how many of your carry pepper spray to have on hand when the use of a handgun can't be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I do, definitely. I think if you carry a gun, you should also carry a phone, pepper spray, and a flashlight. The gun is for threats to life. Most criminal attacks to not involve a threat to life, and what are you going to do then?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Unless you are talking about interactions with animals (I always carry pepper spray when camping in areas where this could be a problem) I just don't see where pepper spray (or tasers, stunguns, extendable batons, etc.) fit in on the disparity of force spectrum for most situations (except for law enforcement).

It isn't a potential victim's job to accurately gauge the level of their imminent physical danger and then respond with a symmetrical amount of force. Similarly, it is not a civilian's job to respond to a threat that does not endanger their life or good health.

The role of pepper spray and other non-firearm weapons, in my opinion, is a minimal level of defense when you are unable to have a firearm on your person. it is not something you can trust with your life, and using it can easily escalate a situation. Carrying both a firearm and pepper spray seems legally risky. What events trigger justified use of pepper spray but not lethal force? If use of pepper spray escalates the conflict, is subsequent use of lethal force justified?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Carrying both a firearm and pepper spray seems legally risky. What events trigger justified use of pepper spray but not lethal force? If use of pepper spray escalates the conflict, is subsequent use of lethal force justified?
This could also bury you in a court room.
Using reloads could place you in a 24/7 cot and hot if a lawyer can say you wanted a KILLER round rather than a factory round.
Imagine what a attorney would say if you chose to defend yourself with a gun shot over the pepper spray?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
pepper spray has very limited uses.
it is used by police for unarmed conflict. the minute a weapon is produced its the glock and nothing else.
batons have pretty gone the way of the slinky in that they have been deemed lethal weapons.
lawyers have made the job of the police and soldiers very difficult.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lawyers have made the job of the police and soldiers very difficult.
As well as self defense.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,621 times
Pepper spray is for "the guy" with roadrage in traffic who bails out of his vehicle and rushes yours. He's not looking to kill you, not even close. He is a hothead looking to stick the jab through your window and break your nose. Nah, I don't feel like fighting today...."take some of this you turd".....Pssssssssss That's the end of it. No one got shot and everyone lived. No Police report will be filed. Try explaining why he was trying to punch you because he was upset at how you made your last turn. I carry and use BOTH too. No wimpy stuff. Only LE grade of 10% or higher. I also like the foam a little better. It foams up like shaving cream and the lather sticks a little better and is harder to wipe off. It also doesn't blow back as much in the wind.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
well said gobbark. In my region (seattle area) there has been a 'culture of fists & feet' (lack of a better term) among petty criminal types for a while too. They are prepared to spend a night in jail over simple assault, but not a year or more for gun or knife.

And btw, from what I have read, the best number to look at is not the percentage, but the SHU rating (scoville heat units). Look for a rating of around 2 million or greater. If you know a cop ask them what they use, and buy that brand. Also critical is to be able to get to it quickly. If it's buried in a pocket with other stuff, or in a purse, it's likely not do you much good when you need it.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Using reloads could place you in a 24/7 cot and hot if a lawyer can say you wanted a KILLER round rather than a factory round.
Kindly cite the court case where this has occured.....

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
well said gobbark. In my region (seattle area) there has been a 'culture of fists & feet' (lack of a better term) among petty criminal types for a while too. They are prepared to spend a night in jail over simple assault, but not a year or more for gun or knife.

And btw, from what I have read, the best number to look at is not the percentage, but the SHU rating (scoville heat units). Look for a rating of around 2 million or greater. If you know a cop ask them what they use, and buy that brand. Also critical is to be able to get to it quickly. If it's buried in a pocket with other stuff, or in a purse, it's likely not do you much good when you need it.
It's both numbers actually. The brand I like...Defense Technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting