Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the general public be allowed to posses?
Anything, including weapons that the Gov doesn't have. 137 65.55%
Restricted to what Gov has. 31 14.83%
Restricted to far less than what the Gov has. 23 11.00%
Restricted to hunting rifles and shotguns only. 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
[Mod cut]
See now you and I could sit here and debate the new generation .416s that will eventually replace the .50 bmgs , along with certain other loadings that the military will never touch but that offer potential.

And at least you got my point , the politicians YAPPING about .50 bmg rifles are doing so out of pure d Sensationalism and for no other purpose.And of course from there they'll move on to rifles such as my TRG and from there the F Class rifles and the like.

By the way , take a *very* close look at the .416 barrett , stays supersonic another 250-400 yards out over .50 , shoots flatter , degrades velocity more slowly and leaves at 3k plus with a 400-450 grain.

Granted it doesn't have the upscale capacity , you won't be tossing a 750 or 800 but all in all the .416s will make the .50s obsolete except for hard target work where you need that 800 grain moving 2700 or so.

And that brings us to other unsung heroes that bears looking at , the .408 cheytac and the .375 cheytac , the former more than the latter , and it is right up a varmint fiends all , starts a 305 grain at 3500 fps and stays supersonic to 2200 or better , a 419 grain at 3k and stays up to 2100 or so.

The one I shot outperformed my TRG42 handily along with a custom 700 in .375 RUM that I've been working on for quite some time , and it bucked wind a LOT better than either one , your mileage may vary but if you get a chance to check out either cartridge do so , I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

yes the 416 fires a flatter round, but it would have not even been put into place if california and a few other states did not make the 50 bmg illegal to own.

also the 338 lapua fires even flatter than a 416 does and does almost as good a job as the 50 does. I like my 50's because they are cheaper to fire and reload than the 338 lapua and the 416.
plus I have fun firing them as well.
not many people want to fire my 338 lapua, but lots want to fire my 50's.

another thing, is that i also hotload my 50 brass with 1300 grain bullets with 320 grains of H50bmg of powder, out of a 38 inch barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I am a Life Member of the NRA.

I became a member because of the shooting programs. No where in the US are there programs that equal the NRA's programs. Woman self defense, youth programs, DCM matches, etc. Outstanding programs.

Having said that, the NRA is very reactive and not proactive. When a state comes up with a new idea on controlling your firearms, the NRA steps in and starts negotiations to reach a deal. Huh? Negotiate? I don't understand negotiations to reach a compromise. We have the constitution that is very plain and simple and gives you rights. Why do we need to negotiate on your rights. It's cut and dry, the state has no rights and you do.

In my experience, they've always hoovered in the background to watch over a case and offer some assistance. They have successfully negotiated away your rights. The bottom line is We either have a constitution, or we don't. Like mentioned, the DC gun ban has been in effect for years, but the NRA has only recently taken any action. Why are they not knocking on the door of the California Legislature, EVERY DAY! Nope, they wait for an individual being stepped on and then they offer that individual a passive type of help. Remember the guy that was being transfered there and he wrote to the state and asked if his guns were ok as long as he kept them dormant and locked away? California said he'd be fine and then when he moved there, they took away his guns. NRA did nothing until the gun confiscation and then they offered some help. As I recall, the individual never retrieved his firearms, even though he said that if they returned the guns he would ship them out of state and have them stored at his parents house. Didn't help.

NRA for gun programs, hunter safety, defense, shooting sports, youth programs gets a big PLUS from me.

NRA for gun rights? They get a major MINUS from me.

Elk,

I was once a life member as well of the NRA. I dropped my life membership when it became public that the NRA came up with part of the debacle called NCICS with the brady bunch.

I also notice that the NRA loves pistol permits for ccw, but hate having the citizens having constitutional carry with no permits needed at all.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Elk,

I was once a life member as well of the NRA. I dropped my life membership when it became public that the NRA came up with part of the debacle called NCICS with the brady bunch.

I also notice that the NRA loves pistol permits for ccw, but hate having the citizens having constitutional carry with no permits needed at all.
Link/quote? I have never heard of opposition to laws that allow carry w/o permit? Anyway, if not for the NRA, we would have never evolved to the point where there are now several 'unrestricted' (no permit needed) states.

Look at what has happened to one after another personal liberty in the last 50 years. Gov't expands and liberty contracts. The same thing would have happened to gun rights (as it did in other countries) but for the NRA.

You know too, the NRA is still a democratically run organization. Rather than quit & run off, why not work to change the things you don't like?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Link/quote? I have never heard of opposition to laws that allow carry w/o permit? Anyway, if not for the NRA, we would have never evolved to the point where there are now several 'unrestricted' (no permit needed) states.

Look at what has happened to one after another personal liberty in the last 50 years. Gov't expands and liberty contracts. The same thing would have happened to gun rights (as it did in other countries) but for the NRA.

You know too, the NRA is still a democratically run organization. Rather than quit & run off, why not work to change the things you don't like?

the NRA has always been in favor of permits, they just dont support cnstitutional carry. they have always been that way.
most of the work done on states without permits, is more credit to the GOA than the NRA.

I quit because they like their gun control. I joined the NRA which is a no nonsense gun rights groups that does not give in to compromise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-w..._b_992043.html

Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Elk,

I live in a state that GOA has made it "Constitutional Carry". So that is covered. We are open carry as well.

Just because of the shooting programs, I'll not drop my membership. Like I said, I joined for the shooting programs and will stick with them for that. No one organization can be 100% the way I want it to be. Every organization out there is going to be give and take on what is personally important for me.

I do understand why you dropped your membership though. If those were the only things important to me, I'd have dropped them long ago.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I live in a state that GOA has made it "Constitutional Carry". So that is covered. We are open carry as well.

Just because of the shooting programs, I'll not drop my membership. Like I said, I joined for the shooting programs and will stick with them for that. No one organization can be 100% the way I want it to be. Every organization out there is going to be give and take on what is personally important for me.

I do understand why you dropped your membership though. If those were the only things important to me, I'd have dropped them long ago.

I understand why you kept them as well, i also wont fault you for that either.

I am an instructor in firearms already, and teach my family and others how to shoot, urban rifle 1/2, pistol 1/2/3, shotgun1/2 plus a few other courses.
to me it was more like a betrayal that the NRA did to me. that was more of a reason for me to drop them.
maybe someday they will once again gain my trust, but for now they have a long way to go.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

385 posts, read 615,141 times
Quote:
guess what, they only joined in after GOA and JFPO filed before the NRA did. the NRA thought at that time that heller vs dc was a losing case.
The GOA and JPFO also had nothing to do with filing the Heller case, though they along with the NRA did file amicus curaie briefs when it went to the USSC. That effort was backed primarily by the Cato Institute.

Heller II is currently making its way through the court system, though there has been so much back-and-forth on it - and DC has changed its registration process - so I'm not sure about its status at the moment.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
I understand why you kept them as well, i also wont fault you for that either.

I am an instructor in firearms already, and teach my family and others how to shoot, urban rifle 1/2, pistol 1/2/3, shotgun1/2 plus a few other courses.
to me it was more like a betrayal that the NRA did to me. that was more of a reason for me to drop them.
maybe someday they will once again gain my trust, but for now they have a long way to go.

amen. the NRA always talks never acts all verba non acta.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Wasn't talking about pistols (in the other thread). I was talking about body armor, and a Class IV will stop a 30.06 rifle round (once)....

Personally, my preference is tungsten/steel-cored ammo for my .50BMG. Not much stops that. If you think that AP ammo is a joke, then bring your car over to my field, leave it running, and let me place just one shot at the front fender. (BTW, I hope you have AAA, and a tow truck, as the motor will be toast).

One specific example of where a pistol (well revolver) dwarfs a relatively high-powered rifle: my S&W Model 500 has 3,035 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.. which is more than a 30.06.

any of my vehicles? lol, most rounds will go through all of them except for one. if you want to come and drive a T-55 sometime, let me know. I got one last year for the hell of it, and it is fun to drive around. the cannon has ben de-militarized.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:19 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Awesome.

Saw a WWII halftrack parked in a guy's driveway in north Austin a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting