Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the general public be allowed to posses?
Anything, including weapons that the Gov doesn't have. 137 65.55%
Restricted to what Gov has. 31 14.83%
Restricted to far less than what the Gov has. 23 11.00%
Restricted to hunting rifles and shotguns only. 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

I do know there are some really bad people in certain southern parts of the country who have beliefs that are anti-American, and/or anti what America stands for.

Do your parents know you are on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I do know there are some really bad people in certain southern parts of the country who have beliefs that are anti-American, and/or anti what America stands for.
Wait, Chicago isn't southern...

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You are assuming that those sailors would fire on their countrymen.
If they seceded from the union, they are no longer 'countrymen'. I would twist the key in 2 seconds flat. JMHO.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
You'da made a great Loyalist a couple years back.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if it is planned, then the feds would not even be able to stop it at all. wait until you have some national guard troops have their training week and are in charge of a missle control building and you could end up having a state be in charge of their own nuclear power.

I dont think the feds would be able to do anything at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Go look up the definition of 'boomer' subs, like a Trident, and you would see they wouldn't stand a chance (Only been on one once). Where do you think most of our firepower is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You are assuming that those sailors would fire on their countrymen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
If they seceded from the union, they are no longer 'countrymen'. I would twist the key in 2 seconds flat. JMHO.
Ay-ya-yah!

OK to inject some reality...

If the Nasty Girls took over a missile complex in Kansas, they'd have around a minute to launch before they lost the ability to launch for a significant period of time (the launch codes would no longer be valid, so they'd need to be manually reconfigured for launch and that takes some time it could be days if not weeks). That minute would begin when they tried to take the complex, so good luck with that.

If Kansas or another state did try to secede with Federal Property, then the best way to ensure Federal Military retaliation would be to try to confiscate the property, and if it's Nukes, then retaliation is guaranteed, and the rest of the world would not raise a finger to help out that seceding state.

Finally on Boomers, and launching, pretty much as far as I can tell (since I've never known anyone who holds a firing key on one, just people who've sailed on them) no one knows where the missiles are targeted anyway. They're ordered to launch and a count of how many (i.e. one, more than one, or all). The submariners themselves probably wouldn't even know that there was any problem with Kansas (or North Dakota).

With that, lets return to our standard programming of what individuals should be allowed to own.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ay-ya-yah!

If the Nasty Girls took over a missile complex in Kansas, they'd have around a minute to launch before they lost the ability to launch for a significant period of time (the launch codes would no longer be valid, so they'd need to be manually reconfigured for launch and that takes some time it could be days if not weeks). That minute would begin when they tried to take the complex, so good luck with that.

If Kansas or another state did try to secede with Federal Property, then the best way to ensure Federal Military retaliation would be to try to confiscate the property, and if it's Nukes, then retaliation is guaranteed, and the rest of the world would not raise a finger to help out that seceding state.

Finally on Boomers, and launching, pretty much as far as I can tell (since I've never known anyone who holds a firing key on one, just people who've sailed on them) no one knows where the missiles are targeted anyway. They're ordered to launch and a count of how many (i.e. one, more than one, or all). The submariners themselves probably wouldn't even know that there was any problem with Kansas (or North Dakota).

With that, lets return to our standard programming of what individuals should be allowed to own.
Thank you. Let's get back to normalcy (and reality).

(Though on the boomers, we designed certain military equipment for them, and not once, when we did we go out, have any tubes empty. Sort of scary). But I digress.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ay-ya-yah!

too bad the nasty girls are not in charge of missle complexes, national guard troops do get to be in charge of the complexes. learn something before interjecting like someone that doesnt know anything at all. in fact try becoming friends with some of those same troops and learn what they know. but from your comment, i would expect you never took the time to do that.

also, it is 2 people who hold the keys, and yes they do not know the targets either. but would you want someone to launch? no matter what?

the feds could try, but good luck with that one.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
too bad the nasty girls are not in charge of missle complexes, national guard troops do get to be in charge of the complexes. learn something before interjecting like someone that doesnt know anything at all. in fact try becoming friends with some of those same troops and learn what they know. but from your comment, i would expect you never took the time to do that.
You mean you're claiming the US have part time soldiers who are living in a totally unsecured environment when not on duty with access to launch the "big stick"? Don't make me laugh. The NG may be garrison security, I and I suspect allies and enemies would be incredibly surprised if not angered or viewing it as an opportunity to find our part timers have access to launch controls. If you understand the concept of compromised servicemen, then you understand how ridiculous this sounds.

the 20th Air Force are responsible for all the US ground based ICBM's, there is no national guard component in the 20th Air Force. The 90th, 91st and 341st Missile Wings actually have the Missiles, these are all Air Force.

However the Guys who have control of the launch are always part of the 90th, 91st, or 341st Missile Wings.

Now sure ANG can be on Missile Bases, but they're in Security and Support functions, not the specific purpose of the base. For example the 219th Security Squadron ANG (ND) is deployed to Minot AFB for security and medical support. The 91st Missile Squadron is also headquartered there, doing what they do.

And I'm sorry but in my experience of speaking with many NG servicemen, they've had experiences that sound like a cross between a Chuck Norris movie, and a Tom Clancy novel, these experiences often turn out to be they were guarding the motorpool while it was stationed temporarily at their base. I'm not saying all NG servicemen are like this, or even that regulars are not however I have found that a large number do like to exaggerate their contributions.

Quote:
also, it is 2 people who hold the keys, and yes they do not know the targets either. but would you want someone to launch? no matter what?
Yes there are two launch keys, one person holds one, another the other, what I said was I didn't know anyone who held a launch key, which is accurate there could be 10 people with launch keys and all 10 are needed, it doesn't invalidate my statement.

Yes I do want someone to launch no matter what when they're on a sub and ordered to, what's the alternative? They surface do some recon, check the news, make some calls, to figure out the situation make sure they're all ok with the launch request, and if they survive all of that then they launch? No that's patently absurd.

Quote:
the feds could try, but good luck with that one.
The Feds would try, and yes they would succeed, because there could be no organized response of sufficient strength to prevent it, and the risk is too great for them not to succeed. Would they retake the state? Difficult to tell, would they recover their property, damn straight if it's Nukes.

However the point you're missing is that if that state secedes and chooses to try to retain the nukes, they're effectively deciding to become the same as North Korea but within or bordering the US. It would be a rogue Nuclear State with PROVEN Long Range delivery systems (which is more than can be said for NK). You think the Chinese, Russians, or Western Europe are going to stand idly by while the US does nothing? That's of course ignoring how the US would view that state. You have a state that seceded, that in a short period of time (days/weeks) would be in control of Nukes, would YOU take the risk that they wouldn't just for sh!ts and giggles attack DC, or NYC if given an opportunity? No in such an event an armed response would need to be swift and decisive.

Now if the state chose to secede and stated their intention to return the Nukes to the US, well that's an different matter, but if they chose to try to retain them, then an armed response would be coming, if not from the US, then from NATO, or Russia/China, there is no mutual protection treaty for secessionist states, and if the US Armed forces wouldn't do the job, or feel that they shouldn't do the job, then someone else would, all it needs is for overflying to be approved.

All of the above is why the expectation of any state with nuclear weapons seceding and retaining their nuclear capability is just complete fantasy.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM

40 posts, read 41,700 times
I want a real life ray gun!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM

67 posts, read 97,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiecuando View Post
I want a real life ray gun!
You're in luck. FN made the FN FS2000 just for guys like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting