Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the general public be allowed to posses?
Anything, including weapons that the Gov doesn't have. 137 65.55%
Restricted to what Gov has. 31 14.83%
Restricted to far less than what the Gov has. 23 11.00%
Restricted to hunting rifles and shotguns only. 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times

Advertisements

My point is that *I* don't decide what car, house, television, stove, fridge, coffee, shirt, shoes, or dinner that anyone else should own or enjoy.

No one else has the right to decide that for me either.

Before anyone asks the obvious question, I will answer it....

I consider a gun to be no different than any of the above mentioned items. I do not believe it is anyone else's right to decide for me whether or not I should own one or more guns, nor the configuration of them. I follow the law, whether or not I agree with any particular part of any of the law, I still follow it.

In the end of the argument, no one has any more right to curtail my freedoms to own firearms, than I have to curtail their freedoms to choose a car, house, television, coffee, shirt, shoes, or dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranStan View Post
This looks like a tough crowd. Why would anyone need anything more than a handgun or a hunting rifle?
Is need relevant? Why do we need more than one religion? Why do we need more than one car? Why do we need anything beyond food, water & shelter?
We dont, but in this country need has nothing to do with any discussion about freedom, other than we need to respect it. We need to let people pray as they choose, buy 50 cars if they want, print ridiculous stuff and own whatever guns they want, because its a free country & 'NEED" has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Is need relevant? Why do we need more than one religion? Why do we need more than one car? Why do we need anything beyond food, water & shelter?
We dont, but in this country need has nothing to do with any discussion about freedom, other than we need to respect it. We need to let people pray as they choose, buy 50 cars if they want, print ridiculous stuff and own whatever guns they want, because its a free country & 'NEED" has nothing to do with it.
Excellent response.
I don't need a grenade launcher, fully automatic weapons, silencers, a cannon, (though if I am attacked by flesh-eating zombies I might), but I own them because the last time I checked, the US is the 'land of the free' (well becoming less so every day). But, I digress.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Excellent response.
I don't need a grenade launcher, fully automatic weapons, silencers, a cannon, (though if I am attacked by flesh-eating zombies I might), but I own them because the last time I checked, the US is the 'land of the free' (well becoming less so every day). But, I digress.
I thought you lived in another country lol!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
We are the government!

Used to be....

Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I thought you lived in another country lol!!!
I do! (it is 1AM here right now).... I keep them all stored in the US, because getting them to another country, is, well virtually impossible. They are stored in a storage unit in NH, that is monitored by cameras. Haven't shot one in many a month.
I wonder about your fixation on who I am/where I live/what I own. Sort of creepy.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Excellent response.
You ought to start a thread about the cannon - black powder I guess?

I always looked at the old Dixie Gun Works catalog and the small black powder mortars they offered, IIRC they suggested an empty frozen orange juice can filled with cement as a projectile (and a place to shoot it where that would not damange anything important on "re-entry"). Never had the money to spend on one as a kid.

Agreed, it ain't about what you "need" (and according to whom, do you need what?) but what you want.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You ought to start a thread about the cannon - black powder I guess?

I always looked at the old Dixie Gun Works catalog and the small black powder mortars they offered, IIRC they suggested an empty frozen orange juice can filled with cement as a projectile (and a place to shoot it where that would not damange anything important on "re-entry"). Never had the money to spend on one as a kid.

Agreed, it ain't about what you "need" (and according to whom, do you need what?) but what you want.
Ok, I am going to totally digress:

I love civil war cannons... they are so majestic. I had a pair in my front yard, on each side of a flagpole. The M1841 six-pounder is my favorite. You can build a replica of one, as there are several manufacturers (one in South Bend Indiana SBR Gunbarrels - South Bend Replicas, Inc. Antique Civil War artillery reproductions. Replicas including cannons, muzzleloading artillery, antique cannon reproductions, antique cannon replicas, muzzleloading ordnance, muzzleloading supplies, Civil Wa), but building the carriage is one complex woodworking job. The wheels were easily the most difficult part. Now I know the definition of a 'spokeshave'. One company takes the propeller shafts from decommissioned ships (hardened steel), and spins them on a lathe to make the barrels (the barrel on a 6-pounder weighs somewhere near 880lbs, so you need a tractor to put it in place. Others use a cast-steel shell with a hardened-steel liner. You could fire a ball, but you better be in the middle of absolute nowhere. I just fired them with black powder (much to one neighbor's dismay). I would never put in a ball. IIRC correctly (it has been years), a six-pounder will put a ball through 4 feet of oak. The originals would not go higher than about 5 degrees of elevation, but if you could tilt it up, the ball would go for miles. Since it is a fixed-breech, no license of any sort is needed to own one (though setting one off, even with only black powder in it, may get you in trouble for noise ordinances. These things are really loud. Powder isn't cheap, and you will go through a lot of it. My next goal, when I am back in the states, is to build a mountain howitzer... much smaller, shorter barrel, much lighter, and that is from the period when they figured out that you want to lob the projectile, not fire it directly.
'nuff of a digression... back to 'what people should be allowed to possess'. But perhaps we should start a thread on cannons...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM

286 posts, read 521,344 times
Originally Posted by BobTex
We are the government!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Used to be....
I agree, it’s now a government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations…

Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Originally Posted by BobTex
We are the government!

I agree, it’s now a government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations…
no, it's the "Nanny state" syndrome. Letting the state/government determine what is proper and safe for an individual to own and use, treating it's citizens like children. There are laws against using firearms for criminal purposes. Those are just. But laws prohibiting firearms because they just may be used for criminal purposes. That is unjust. That is nanny-state logic.
Strangely enough, there is a segment of the citizens that want to be told what to do by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting