Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of pain inflicted that is inflicted on an animal for the pleasure of another higher order of animal. That's what makes it unique and sadistic.

That is why it should be outlawed. Because we are not a society that should encourage or suffer sadists.

If you are an animal who can not control your "instinct to hunt" - which I do not believe exists for one moment, except in serial murderers and members of the cat family; then you are very unique.

Humans and other animals hunt out of hunger. That's where the need arises from.

If you have a hunger for blood and carnage, that can not be satiated by a good meal, that is strange.

If you want to spend huge amounts of money on archery equipment, that's fine. When you involve other living creatures, and you are causing pain cause YOU THINK IT"S FUN, or are falsely attributing it to an instinct that does not exist in our species, that's an excuse for sadism.

I've read every dam excuse made fro BOW HUNTING - the dear population, dear walking in front of automobiles on land that has been paved over, deer eating stuff from the garden of your Mc Mansion or where ever - and NOT one argument justifies this particular method of hunting.

If you recall, the OP only brought up BOW HUNTING - an antiquated, and unnecessarily cruel and out dated way of obtaining meat for food.

No one was preaching against vegetarianism, or hunting with guns.

It was and is a specific topic. If you or anyone wants to say "hey it's a little sadistic, but I enjoy it! It makes me feel powerful." at least that would be honest.
Just a correction here ... sadist inflict pain for the joy of inflicting pain and watching a creature, be it human or other animal, suffer. That is NO hunter I have ever heard of. So, you are using the word wrong or using the wrong word.

You are misusing the word in the strict sense as no hunter I have ever met, ever talked to, ever read, or ever even heard about has characterized their joy of hunting as the joy of inflicting pain. In fact the opposite is true ... any true hunter wants a clean and quick kill.

There is most likely no difference in pain felt for a well placed arrow vs a well placed bullet. The same deer with the arrow though his face would have survived with a bullet but with a shattered jaw and would have starved slowly. You wouldn't have had this picture to look at.

One last editorial here on my part. Man has been hunting and eating meat since there was mankind. Mankind eats meat and some creature will die for this to happen (its the circle of life). If it dies some emotion filled unrealist somewhere is going to impart "suffering" into this ... that's their right ... just don't impose their beliefs on me ... this includes "banning" any form of hunting.

I hope this phrase has some meaning to you:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Let this soak in!

One more thing ... when you make choices based on emotion versus intelligent thought and reasoning the chance for error(s) rise exponentially. This goes for everything in life ... disciplining your kids, picking a mate (gotta add some emotion here ... love), judging the rights of others (hunters). It scares me to read or hear anyone propose taking away my rights ... any of them.

The travesty in this thread is not the bow shooter's bad judgement/aim ... it's the self righteous attitude portrayed by some who would impose their emotion infused erroneous judgements on the innocent!!!! That's sadistic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania, in the Appalachian Mountains. There are people here who hunt for their food in the late fall, and fish in the summer. It's how they eat, out of necessity.

This however, is sadistic.
You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to NEPA and hunters, you have lived here for maybe 2 years and are a true blue vegetarian that moved here from Long Island, so how do you know anything about NEPA hunting.

We might be in the "Appalachian Mountains", but we are far from "Appalachia" in regards to our culture and society.

NEPA hunters don't just hunt in the fall and fish in the summer to survive or to get their food for the year, my god where are you from in NY. There are multiple hunting seasons through the year in PA for a wide variety of animals. Its currently spring turkey season right now, snow goose was in April and early goose starts at the end of the summer and as far as fishing goes in NEPA that is a year around sport right through the ice, right through the winter. You really don't have any idea what you speak of do you?

Hunting, especially Bow Hunting is a huge sport here in PA and it is a very affective way to hunt.

Hunting in NEPA is a way of life, a sport and something that is shared from generation to generation, not just a way to put food on the table. Many of the hunters that I know, myself included, donate many of the kills to food kitchens and "feed the poor operations" after they have the kill butchered and prepared.

Your nuts, honestly there are very few people that just buy a bow and head out without practice and learning to deer hunt, you see more of that with rifles and guys taking long shots and wounding a deer or missing all together leaving a high powered rifle round to travel great distances if not stopped by something or someone.

Modern bows are HIGHLY accurate and the crossbows that can be used today are as accurate as any rifle with a scope.

Over population of deer is a HUGE ISSUE here in NEPA and states like NJ, you need to do your homework before you comment on issues and subjects that you know absolutely NOTHING about.

Bow Hunting is just another form of hunting, something that the state that you MOVED to embraces willingly as a part of our society. I mean lets face it the schools close on opening day...

Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The travesty in this thread is not the bow shooter's bad judgement/aim ... it's the self righteous attitude portrayed by some who would impose their emotion infused erroneous judgements on the innocent!!!! That's sadistic!
How true, thank you!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Many do not realize how cattle/beef is killed and processed. The hunting of and killing can be compared to our passing in our sleep or during sex. The killing of cattle can be compared to a gas chamber.
Nor do these people understand that cattle are not native to America or many other countries. If there was no demand for beef/leather the population of cattle would be near extinct.
I am involved in wildlife rescue. I hand raise orphan mammals to be released after a few weeks after weaning off hand feeding (all involved about 3 months). I do hunt bird and deer and have no conflict doing both.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of pain inflicted that is inflicted on an animal for the pleasure of another higher order of animal. That's what makes it unique and sadistic.

That is why it should be outlawed. Because we are not a society that should encourage or suffer sadists.

If you are an animal who can not control your "instinct to hunt" - which I do not believe exists for one moment, except in serial murderers and members of the cat family; then you are very unique.

Humans and other animals hunt out of hunger. That's where the need arises from.

If you have a hunger for blood and carnage, that can not be satiated by a good meal, that is strange.

If you want to spend huge amounts of money on archery equipment, that's fine. When you involve other living creatures, and you are causing pain cause YOU THINK IT"S FUN, or are falsely attributing it to an instinct that does not exist in our species, that's an excuse for sadism.

I've read every dam excuse made fro BOW HUNTING - the dear population, dear walking in front of automobiles on land that has been paved over, deer eating stuff from the garden of your Mc Mansion or where ever - and NOT one argument justifies this particular method of hunting.

If you recall, the OP only brought up BOW HUNTING - an antiquated, and unnecessarily cruel and out dated way of obtaining meat for food.

No one was preaching against vegetarianism, or hunting with guns.

It was and is a specific topic. If you or anyone wants to say "hey it's a little sadistic, but I enjoy it! It makes me feel powerful." at least that would be honest.
I have to point out that you're inventing things that I didn't say in order to argue with me, but I'll bite anyway.

Stating that something is not opinion unfortunately (or fortunately) does not make it so. The purpose of hunting is not and never has been to cause pain and the most unshakeable faith in that premise by the evangelistic anti-hunting crowd does not make that so either. The bow and arrow is certainly an old technology, but there isn't anything about a bullet through the heart or lungs that kills faster than an arrow through the heart or lungs, or for that matter halal or kosher slaughter. Exsanguination is exsanguination.

If you're preaching against bow hunting but not gun hunting then you're either an ignoramus or you're pushing an agenda. There are fewer bow hunters than rifle and shotgun hunters, you can mobilize more ignoramae against the idea of hunting with sharp sticks and you can capitalize on the apathy of the "well, grandpa hunted but never with a bow" ranks - therefore it makes more sense for Wayne Pacelle and others of that ilk to attempt to divide and conquer.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 05-08-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
hm, well, I was seriously considering taking up the sport, but suddenly, my interest is waning.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hm, well, I was seriously considering taking up the sport, but suddenly, my interest is waning.
Try skeet or trap instead. That's sport.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Good! Your waning interest is a sign of your humanity!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Try skeet or trap instead. That's sport.
Thanks, I thought about skeet. There's no skeet shooting clubs in my area. But there is a bow club. I could focus on target practice.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
Not that I am condoning the picture but what would be the difference between that and a wolf eating the hind end out of a cow elk, ripping the fetus out and eating just the heart out of the fetus while the cow lies there bleeding to death? Humans hunt for food just as predators hunt for food. Being a both a bow and rifle hunter, I feel that the person who did this is in the wrong and is not an ethical hunter but why condemn all bowhunters for one persons stupidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting