Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Wow... this is a little too generalized for me. Look at the Brady scorecard (Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence), CCW laws, reciprocity, open carry laws (OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!), and purchase requirements. Indiana, Wisc, WV, and Vt are better than many of the states in your "good" zones, especially more so than CO, NE, KS, WA, and OR. Ohio, NH, ME, are as good as all but maybe AZ, UT, MT, WY, and AK. PA & MI are far from bad. Illinois and the northeast urban corridor (MD, NJ, NY, MA, CT, RI), plus Cali, are the only states that are truly bad.
Wisconsin only recently (last year?) legalized concealed carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM

89 posts, read 122,228 times
New Hampshire is a very gun friendly state along with Maine and Vermont. Both NH and ME have open carry handgun laws. As far as Hunting goes depends what you enjoy. There is plenty of deer up this way along with bear and moose. Need permits for those. Lots of open land for one to set up their own back yard range as well.
On a side note some excellent fishing spots in the lakes region of NH like Lake Winnaspaum and Winnipeasuakee.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 PM

350 posts, read 848,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Wisconsin only recently (last year?) legalized concealed carry.
Yep, but regardless, they have one of the better laws out there now.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I grew up in missoula and we owned kings ranch out there and sadly it is no longer there since grandfolks have passed and we used to ride horses out there and we were never without a gun boot on our saddles fully loaded we rode amongst alot of wild life . .. Montana is beautiful still too ..
Thank you for your response phonelady61...It is rare to see a encouraging response about relocation to Montana. My husband has hunted NE of Livingston and loved Montana. We are planning to visit your beautiful state this fall when we take off on our next home hunting adventure. Any suggestions on areas to look....or stay away from?

Old 05-28-2012, 01:47 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Thank you all for your responses. We continue to look. My husband is from Oregon and I am from Virginia. We both love living out and away from cities. We both target shoot, hunt and fish. I haved lived in Wyoming and Maine and loved both places. We are now retired....so we can pretty much live anywhere we want to.....deciding is the hard part. Besides the gun friendly criteria....we want privacy and outdoor sport access. We are fairly conservative but not stuffy. We prefer somewhere that it does not get over 90 degrees in the summer. But we really do not want to live off the grid and require year round access.....but...cold weather and snow are not an issue. Four seasons would be prefered. Thanks for your continued wisdom and advice....and the links you all have provided have been very helpful...

Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM

197 posts, read 299,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's a good resource. It's interesting to see how some people view gun laws. I for one find them to be overly restrictive because only the people who are not a problem to begin with follow the law. Criminals who mis-use firearms don't give a rip what the laws are and thus are not going to follow them no matter how "tough" they are. I am thankful to have moved away from California recently, where gun laws are insane. If it weren't for that pesky 2nd Amendment, I'm sure California would try to suspend all gun ownership outright.

Actually there are worse places than california , try getting caught with JHP ammunition in NJ , and shall I remind you of the Sullivan Act?Mass is no picnic either.

For the O.P. , look to the open carry states , and three states are now " Vermont Carry " meaning that there is no CCW required for a non-felon to carry concealed.

As regards Calif , it's a patchwork but several counties are still " right to issue " as regards CCW.

Keep in mind that it's a *large* state , and outside the urban population centers much of the state has more in common on the socio-political level with West Texas than with (for instance) the Bay Area.

Some of the stereotypes of The Golden State are as ridiculous as the ones foisted off on other places i.e. Texas t'ain't all flat , Ariz isn't all like Phoenix , the sun DOES come out in Seattle , there is A vegetarian in Alaska and not everyone from Boston says CAW and PAWK instead of car and park.........hell one can even find a cafe in the South that *might* not put that dish of grits on the table.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
True on the CA issue - but there's still a *state-wide* ban on many firearms. Here in Texas, pretty much if you can afford it, you can own it....friend of mine owns a gun range - she got it in her head to buy an APC last year....yep - she's got it at the range, an' it's a hoot ta ride!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Actually there are worse places than california , try getting caught with JHP ammunition in NJ , and shall I remind you of the Sullivan Act?Mass is no picnic either.

For the O.P. , look to the open carry states , and three states are now " Vermont Carry " meaning that there is no CCW required for a non-felon to carry concealed.

As regards Calif , it's a patchwork but several counties are still " right to issue " as regards CCW.

Keep in mind that it's a *large* state , and outside the urban population centers much of the state has more in common on the socio-political level with West Texas than with (for instance) the Bay Area.

Some of the stereotypes of The Golden State are as ridiculous as the ones foisted off on other places i.e. Texas t'ain't all flat , Ariz isn't all like Phoenix , the sun DOES come out in Seattle , there is A vegetarian in Alaska and not everyone from Boston says CAW and PAWK instead of car and park.........hell one can even find a cafe in the South that *might* not put that dish of grits on the table.
Oh, I know plenty of sane people who live in California. But they are outnumbered by the loonies who keep electing the Jerry Browns and Grey Davises of the world into positions of power on the state level and they do not hold these officials accountable (read: "keep re-electing them.")

But you are right, California is not alone in its insanity and assault on the 2nd Amendment. California is a "may issue" state, so it depends on the whim of a bureaucrat when it comes to your CCW. Even worse is Illinois, a state that if my memory serves me correctly, still forbids CCW entirely. I'm looking forward to the day when the U.S. Supreme Court strikes that law down as unconstitutional.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Oh, I know plenty of sane people who live in California. But they are outnumbered by the loonies who keep electing the Jerry Browns and Grey Davises of the world into positions of power on the state level and they do not hold these officials accountable (read: "keep re-electing them.")

But you are right, California is not alone in its insanity and assault on the 2nd Amendment. California is a "may issue" state, so it depends on the whim of a bureaucrat when it comes to your CCW. Even worse is Illinois, a state that if my memory serves me correctly, still forbids CCW entirely. I'm looking forward to the day when the U.S. Supreme Court strikes that law down as unconstitutional.

I thought the US Supreme Court did strike down any total gun ban as unconstitutional.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought the US Supreme Court did strike down any total gun ban as unconstitutional.
They struck down the D.C. ban on handguns as unconstitutional. The city of Chicago responded by stating that they would not repeal their own hand gun ban. Furthermore, a ban on hand guns is not the same as forbidding CCW, as is the state-wide practice in IL. Both the City of Chicago's ban on handguns and the State's CCW restrictions are unconstitutional, but have not been directly ruled so by the Supreme Court. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting