Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,301,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
YOU my friend have obviously never been to Arizona, or at least very much of it. Flagstaff, AZ has more days that dip below freezing than any other city in the country, they also get over 100 inches of snow per year. The area is the largest contiguous ponderosa pine forest in the country (aka NOT desert). Prescott is a mild climate, but warmer with less snow. There is even a ski resort in Tucson, Arizona at Mount Lemmon, which also gets alot of snow and is forested.
I have been to Flagstaff many times, spent many a night in a yurt at Fort Tuthill.

It didnt really mean it never got cold in Arizona or that it never snows, but it's pretty much arid EVERYWHERE. You cant deny that. Higher elevations around Flagstaff or Winslow get cooler and get snow, but it's ****ing desert and dry. To say there are lots of climates is completely disingenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
We are both avid shooters and hunters. We are trying to figure out where to relocate to. A large part of the criteria is that the State of choice is very...very gun owner friendly, and that locations to shoot are plentiful. What do you all suggest? (retired...so jobs are not an issue) All your wisdom is welcome....thanks in advance for your suggestions
WV

Has free public ranges too. Good hunting if you are into that also.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,580,287 times
Quote:
This is true, beaten only by Missouri and Michigan. FYI, Michigan holds the record with 40, and is the only permit that can carry in every shall-issue state that has some form of reciprocity.
MGO Community Forum - Michigan Becomes First State to Achieve Maximum Reciprocity

Good luck with that.

In Michigan, you need a pistol permit just to buy a pellet pistol.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Mine is good in all fifty plus every US territory and possession; it's called the Second Amendment.

"A law that is repugnant to the Constitution need not be obeyed." US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall

"No injury, no crime.", William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England
Quote:

Good luck with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Let me know how that works in NY/NJ/CA/MA/IL
It's worked vey well for the past fifty-five years. I first slipped a handgun into my pocket in 1954 on a vacation to Wyoming. A few hours earlier I had purchased it and one other in a gun store right here in Cody. I had expected the owner to tell me to bring back one of my parents but he did not. There wasn't and isn't today any age restriction in Wyoming. Needless to say when I walked out the door of the gun store I was a hundred feet tall.

People outside of the urban fens viewed guns far differently in those days, The electronic media hadn't even existed thirty years before so the propaganda machine had had little time to work. The Illinois Supreme Court had a few years earlier thrown out a murder conviction stating that an individual had the "right to stand his ground". Police even in Chicago frequently understood the need of the private citizen without political connections to carry a gun. While it was illegal for anyone to carry a concealed weapon there were many individuals such as bank messengers, private detectives, to. to be armed. Insurance companies required it for people carrying large amounts of money and securities. Illinois police departments undestood this and routinely gave letters of permission to people in certain occupations. I assume they still do. Many of these letters went to less virtuous individuals, many with criminal background or connections but with political influence. Many individual police officers never interfered with the armed private citizen who was obviously not a criminal. That's probably still the case. But how would the police know someone were armed unless the person were holding the gun in public view?

If someone acts in a responsible manner and never has a gun in the open except in the event of a criminal attack he'll never have a problem. Acting in a responsible manner means no drunken behavior, no threatening or generally ugly behavior, and in general not violating the rules of common courtesy, common sense, or otherwise attracting unfavorable attention. It's the way that normal people act. The individual who acts like a savage when he drinks shouldn't drink. It may be necessary to alter some plans because of metal detectors or find out beforehand if a place has one. Obviously a person must not carry a gun in those circumstances.

I've never been searched in my life nor have I ever supplied the government with my fingerprints. I simply don't do anything that excites their interest. Carrying as a boy taught me a great deal about being an adult as well.

Since I don't care to draw attention to myself I only engage in open carry when and where it's legal and expected. That includes private property, areas where people commonly go plinking, back country hiking where I'm unlikely to ecounter gun-fearing urbanites (so I exclude national parks and similar), and other places where it's expected. There were and perhaps still are bars in Cheyenne where everybody packed around Frontier Days. Ogallala, Nebraska had tourist information inviting people to to stap on their guns for a Western festival. It would be fine to carry there but I'd first make sure that there were others. It also includes the entire state of Arizona where open carry is common and police do not molest individuals for it unless they are drunk or otherwise acting improperly. I was once reading an article writtren about 1920 concening the history of the Hole in the Wall, an old outlaw refuge and redoubt. The author of the article was meeting an old-timer to interview in connection with the article. He commented that the old man was very unusual in that he still carried a gun on his hip. I limit my open carry (something I love to do) to places where people are unlikely to notify the police and if they do the police will tell them over the phone that it's perfectly legal. A few people have been harassed in Wyoming by individual police officers. I do wish we had Arizona's tradition. Neither Wyoming nor Montana has ever enforced concealed carry laws with much vigor but that's still no excuse to leave common sense behind. It all comes down to common sense; but that's scarcely limited to carrying guns.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM

350 posts, read 846,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's worked vey well for the past fifty-five years. I first slipped a handgun into my pocket in 1954 on a vacation to Wyoming. A few hours earlier I had purchased it and one other in a gun store right here in Cody. I had expected the owner to tell me to bring back one of my parents but he did not. There wasn't and isn't today any age restriction in Wyoming. Needless to say when I walked out the door of the gun store I was a hundred feet tall.

People outside of the urban fens viewed guns far differently in those days, The electronic media hadn't even existed thirty years before so the propaganda machine had had little time to work. The Illinois Supreme Court had a few years earlier thrown out a murder conviction stating that an individual had the "right to stand his ground". Police even in Chicago frequently understood the need of the private citizen without political connections to carry a gun. While it was illegal for anyone to carry a concealed weapon there were many individuals such as bank messengers, private detectives, to. to be armed. Insurance companies required it for people carrying large amounts of money and securities. Illinois police departments undestood this and routinely gave letters of permission to people in certain occupations. I assume they still do. Many of these letters went to less virtuous individuals, many with criminal background or connections but with political influence. Many individual police officers never interfered with the armed private citizen who was obviously not a criminal. That's probably still the case. But how would the police know someone were armed unless the person were holding the gun in public view?

If someone acts in a responsible manner and never has a gun in the open except in the event of a criminal attack he'll never have a problem. Acting in a responsible manner means no drunken behavior, no threatening or generally ugly behavior, and in general not violating the rules of common courtesy, common sense, or otherwise attracting unfavorable attention. It's the way that normal people act. The individual who acts like a savage when he drinks shouldn't drink. It may be necessary to alter some plans because of metal detectors or find out beforehand if a place has one. Obviously a person must not carry a gun in those circumstances.

I've never been searched in my life nor have I ever supplied the government with my fingerprints. I simply don't do anything that excites their interest. Carrying as a boy taught me a great deal about being an adult as well.

Since I don't care to draw attention to myself I only engage in open carry when and where it's legal and expected. That includes private property, areas where people commonly go plinking, back country hiking where I'm unlikely to ecounter gun-fearing urbanites (so I exclude national parks and similar), and other places where it's expected. There were and perhaps still are bars in Cheyenne where everybody packed around Frontier Days. Ogallala, Nebraska had tourist information inviting people to to stap on their guns for a Western festival. It would be fine to carry there but I'd first make sure that there were others. It also includes the entire state of Arizona where open carry is common and police do not molest individuals for it unless they are drunk or otherwise acting improperly. I was once reading an article writtren about 1920 concening the history of the Hole in the Wall, an old outlaw refuge and redoubt. The author of the article was meeting an old-timer to interview in connection with the article. He commented that the old man was very unusual in that he still carried a gun on his hip. I limit my open carry (something I love to do) to places where people are unlikely to notify the police and if they do the police will tell them over the phone that it's perfectly legal. A few people have been harassed in Wyoming by individual police officers. I do wish we had Arizona's tradition. Neither Wyoming nor Montana has ever enforced concealed carry laws with much vigor but that's still no excuse to leave common sense behind. It all comes down to common sense; but that's scarcely limited to carrying guns.

Great story... but I'm not sure what all this has to do with the fact that if you get caught carrying in IL, NJ, NYC, etc, the 2nd amendment will not help you avoid jailtime (not saying it shouldn't, just that it won't).

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,452,185 times
Quote:
I have been to Flagstaff many times, spent many a night in a yurt at Fort Tuthill.

It didnt really mean it never got cold in Arizona or that it never snows, but it's pretty much arid EVERYWHERE. You cant deny that. Higher elevations around Flagstaff or Winslow get cooler and get snow, but it's ****ing desert and dry. To say there are lots of climates is completely disingenuous.
Flagstaff and winslow are at 2 completely different elevations and different terrain. Winslow is high desert while Flagstaff is in the forest. And no one said Flagstaff was wet. Its in the forest but yes its relatively dry only getting 20 inches of precipitation a year.

But the White mountains, Mogollan Rim, all the sky islands, and even some of the smaller mountain ranges near Phoenix such as the Mazatzals and the Sierra Anchas get up near 40 inches of precipitation a year. So there are obviously different climates.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,396,671 times
Quote:
You must have never been to Arizona.

They have 1 climate: desert. Dry, arid, hot, desert. The entire state. And the economy is one of the worst in the country, housing market tanked, and the state is run by a bunch of wacko teabaggers. Personally, I would avoid Arizona.

Vermont has some brutal winters and not much going on economically.

Alaska: not wasting my time explaining why you should not live there

Wyoming: it's nice if you are independently wealthy and dont mind living in the middle of nowhere

I dont know who Larry Pratt is, but honestly Florida and Texas are the two best states for gun rights that are also civilized and you dont have to live in the middle of nowhere and there are actually jobs.
Actually Texas sucks. You need a permit for any public carry & printing is a crime. Fla is good but nothing beats Vermont, NH & ME both beat Texas in every way except in a car you dont need any permit in Texas.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

664 posts, read 772,523 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Kentucky. The Bluegrass state has extremely favorable gun laws.

-they honor every other states CCW permit.
-honors non-resident permits from all states.
-no gun signs do not have force of law
-carry in state parks
-CCW is pretty cheap compared to other states, $60 dollar fee for 5 years.
-open carry is constitutionally protected

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Kentucky. The Bluegrass state has extremely favorable gun laws.

-they honor every other states CCW permit.
-honors non-resident permits from all states.
-no gun signs do not have force of law
-carry in state parks
-CCW is pretty cheap compared to other states, $60 dollar fee for 5 years.
-open carry is constitutionally protected
The gun culture is alive and well in Kentucky. They have great gun shows and sellers are very welcoming.

And remember, no permit for vehicle carry. Many people, this poster included, view Kentucky as a very strong candidate for constitutional carry. Along with Mississippi, West Virginia, and Vermont, it's friendly to gun folks in the rural East. These are states whose police seldom make arrests for concealed weapons violations (no law in Vermont). Many are rumored to have never heard that the year 1934 ever happened. Now if there were only some way to dehumidify the place.

Sorry, Maine and New Hampshire folks, you have too many laws and too many aggressive cops.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

12,922 posts, read 13,256,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Actually Texas sucks. You need a permit for any public carry & printing is a crime. Fla is good but nothing beats Vermont, NH & ME both beat Texas in every way except in a car you dont need any permit in Texas.
Incorrect about the printing:

Quote:
Texas Penal Code Section 46.035(a). Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder (failure to conceal)

A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

And open carry of long guns is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting