Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

Anyone else going out to Forsythe, MT to compete this year? Father's Day, 16th(Sa) & 17th (Su) of June. 8 targets @ various ranges, first in mandatory offhand shooting @ ≈ 350 yds, then the rest of the targets allow crossed shooting stix, plus, or those of us with problem spines, knees, ankles, hips, arms, brains and so on and on (i.e.: arthritic old geezers well over +60... ), you can use a small shooting stool. One fellow was in a wheelchair and competed nontheless!

I intend, by golly, to WIN this event this year, but of course, I won't! The max score is 6 hits per target X 8 targets = 48. Some lucky bum [dang him!] got an overall score over the two days of 46 (....) two years ago, hitting the 350 target offhand 5 times, (which may be the hardest target, esp. in the relentless eastern MT cross-winds), and the 1000 yd (actually, that year it was a "mere" 950 yds I believe: some guys get all the breaks...!) four out of 6!

The folks who attend this shoot wear "period gear", incl. their wimmin-folk, who come all cumberbunned and frillied up, less'n acourse they'zz at'chooly thar tuh shoot and not fluff themselves up in the wind!

(Last year, at the last moment, they had to cancel the entire shoot due to the relentless wind-driven rains and resulting prairie gumbo mud! You can hardly stand up in that glue, let alone drive out to the Lee Ranch! Hope this is not going to be a repeat!)

Then the local Forsythe Boy Scouts do up a steak dinner on Sat. night, with all the trimmings (well, sort of.. Forsythe's idea of "all the trimmings" is different than mine I suppose...), and there's lots of campfire singing and bull shuetzening.

I will be bringing two of my finest; a Winchester 1885 High Wall in 45-90, and my custom Sharps 1874, also in 45-90.

Image Detail for - http://th164.photobucket.com/albums/u20/craft5759/58%20cal%20Allen%20Boxlock%20Percussion%20Rifle/quigley-website--black1.jpg

I'll be shooting some various Lyman 405, 450 and 520 gr FP cast boolitz with SPG lube in those big ol' lube-grooves. The Sharps wears a new Malcolm style 2X scope since "mine eyes have seen the glory of..." better days...

Will I win? Not on your life! I don't dedicate my life to this stuff, but still, I used to be a purty good shot, and it's kinda like riding a v. noisy bicycle after all...

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting