Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

Mod Note: moved thread to Guns & Hunting since this is more a general gun discussion than a specific SS&P discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

86 posts, read 254,410 times
Of what I own, only one pistol and one rifle... Glock 19 (personal defense) and Savage Mk2 (small game).

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Of what I own, only one pistol and one rifle... Glock 19 (personal defense) and Savage Mk2 (small game).
This is good thinking. I do not buy a firearm with "survivalist" situations in mind. I buy something because I like it and have a specific idea in mind for how or why I would use it. If I were cast into a survival situation, I would select from the best options available to me at the moment. Of course, this assumes that all my options are available to me at the moment when I need to make a decision. Reality may have somewhat else to say, though. My point here is that you can "what if..." until you are blue in the face and you will still have not exhausted every possible scenario. You simply cannot plan for everything.
My approach is to put myself into a position where I can protect my family and take care of their needs long enough to figure out a viable course of action. Situations dictates, but not entirely if you plan right. And by "plan right" I do not mean prepare for every possible contingency. I simply mean have a rough idea of how you will react to adverse circumstances.
With this in mind, my survival weapon of choice would depend on the situation and terrain, and the resources available to me.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
.22lr. Ammo is cheap and you could stock up for years to come. Can kill anything from a chipmunk to a deer if you had to. Shotgun also has a very wide range of use.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM

242 posts, read 465,620 times
Hummmmmm, my .270 win and my .41 mag for a handgun. BUT...... I would be cheating, I reload, have lots of casings, several pounds of each type of powder that I have found to be the most effective, thousands of bulllets of each caliber, 130 gr ballistic tip for .270, 220gr copper jacketed hollow point for the .41 mag. I practice regularly, it is not like riding a bicycle. I don't reload shotgun, but I do have a couple of hundred rounds of the shot sizes I have found to be most effective for a variety of game animals. For home defense, I use 12 ga, #4 Buckshot in a three in. shell.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Good luck buying enough ammo to last for a long time. Oh yes, how are ya coming with that ammo bunker to store all that ammo in????

I also wonder why people want to become Rambo when in a survival situation food and shelter are much more important. Go figure..............

Tip: It might be better to learn to make and use primitive weapons for when all the bullets are gone.
Well.
The easy answer is you have to keep your food and shelter. Protect your loved ones from animals and humans. You have to be prepared to kill or be killed.
I know many have these happy feel good thoughts that man will work together to the better end. But be realistic. This would be like thinking when having problems before marriage that they all go away and marriage fixes all problems. In a SHF condition people will be less than animals. Many people are already less today.

My fall back weapons are my Winchester 94 in .44 mag and my Ruger Redhawk in the same. Cowboy combo if a little unconventional. Both fire the same rounds of .44 mag and .44 special. I handload both rounds often.

My second back up is a Winchester 94 in .22lr and a Ruger Single Six. A .22 is a very useful weapon and tool. In a SHF situation we will find that .22lr ammo will be worth more than gold. I have 20,000 rounds in my safe.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM

142 posts, read 164,791 times
The whole end of days crap is just that crap. I spent some time in the 80s with this bunch and their food stocks and safe rooms planing for the crap hitting the fan as they would say or the big flush. Its a sick fantasy that thankfully never comes. Too many people watch movies like Mad Max or some post apocalyptic Hollywood garbage where its all fun and games. The Road is more what it would really be like and if you watch that movie and think "Yahh I can't wait" You need to be institutionalized.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM

89 posts, read 122,219 times
For my rifle I will go with a Ruger 10-22. Ammo is widely available and cheap. Not only that but, 22 ammo is light and small so I am able to carry much more.
Handgun is a Glock 19. Parts for this are easy to come by and maintenance for it is fairly simple if something were to need replacing. 9mm is everywhere and easy to get my hand on. Plus with extended magazines I am able to store/carry more.
Shotgun is my H&R 1871 12GA pump. Will handle up to a 3' shell so with most shotguns it has a variety of shells to choose from. This is mostly self defense than anything else.

Although I would much rather have either an AR or AK type, I would much rather try and stay under the radar for as long as I can.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, but you need something to fend off the zombies until you get good at using your hand-fabricated cross-bow.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Naw, the problem with using water balloons is that they are hard to fill without running water. Gotta assume the worst, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting