Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
BTW, this suburb of Denver is literally infested with military personnel, many of whom simply must have seen live combat and the accoutrement of that environment. Hmmm... Seems the guy should perhaps have stuck out somehow, but then, he also may well have done it all through the alley behind the cinema. (purely my speculation, btw... just trying to get a mental handle on this tragedy)
Well. They did say many people attended in costume. Many theme parks have experienced/banned the use of costumes for guests for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What time of day did this happen? I keep hearing midnight. Who goes to a movie that time of night during the week? Surely not people that are planning to work the next day? Nothing about the entire thing makes any sense. I see this as such a lot of wasted lives. Tragic and horrible but it would not have been me because I would have been home in bed.
ALL top line movies are released on Friday. Most theaters show them at 12:01AM (midnight) very early Friday morning. This has been a long tradition for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The most dangerous gun was the shotgun.
How exactly did you come to this conclusion

Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Look at it the other way. If every person in that theater was armed, the guy would have been stopped in short order.
In this instance your statement is questionable. Considering the conditions, dark, people running around, all the noise, tear gas, I think it would be pretty difficult to find your target with 100% certainty, and then have a successful head shot (even if you were aware he had body armor).

And assuming you were able to keep your wits about you, that's the kind of situation SWAT trains for, the average joe blow on the street would be in over his head I think, big difference between this scenario and a well lit mall or store.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
In this instance your statement is questionable. Considering the conditions, dark, people running around, all the noise, tear gas, I think it would be pretty difficult to find your target with 100% certainty, and then have a successful head shot (even if you were aware he had body armor).

And assuming you were able to keep your wits about you, that's the kind of situation SWAT trains for, the average joe blow on the street would be in over his head I think, big difference between this scenario and a well lit mall or store.
You are right Dave, but wrong too. Wrong in the sense that several survivors were pretty close to him, close enough to see him, realize danger & duck. They MIGHT have been able to get a couple rounds into him. But in the larger sense if more people carried regularly these nutburgers wouldnt even try this stuff. The theater was a gun free zone, the whole chain has a no guns policy. If, God forbid, a loved one of mine were hurt or killed I'd be sueing the theater chain for violating my loved ones civil rights & allowing them to be killed by the theaters irresponsible policy coupled with its neglecting to provide security for the people its policy renders helpless.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
My thoughts are this is a tragic episode brought on largely because it can be taken for grated that if you have a gun the chances of meeting serious immediate resistance is nil. I am curious why his mom told police they had the right guy, sounds like she knew something she might have been able to share & perhaps prevent this. In CT I can go buy as many guns as I like and walk out the door with them today. Gun access isnt the problem I dont think. Its the knowledge they can safely complete their scheme & in this case likely live to a ripe old age afterwards. This guy will likely claim insanity & beat the death penalty, if CO even has it, live to a ripe old age writing books & doing interviews. IMHO he should be hung behind the courthouse once found guilty.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You are right Dave, but wrong too. Wrong in the sense that several survivors were pretty close to him, close enough to see him, realize danger & duck. They MIGHT have been able to get a couple rounds into him. But in the larger sense if more people carried regularly these nutburgers wouldnt even try this stuff. The theater was a gun free zone, the whole chain has a no guns policy. If, God forbid, a loved one of mine were hurt or killed I'd be sueing the theater chain for violating my loved ones civil rights & allowing them to be killed by the theaters irresponsible policy coupled with its neglecting to provide security for the people its policy renders helpless.
You have a point as well, but if... what if... we're just speculating.

I don't frequent any establishment that is a gun free zone, I prefer not to be in a place that advertises to criminals that they are safe to commit their crime there.

As a theater is private property you would likely lose that suit, they can have what ever policies in place that they want.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
His parents said, Ya you have the right guy Somebody always knows when there is something not right about a person, but they don't know what to do and who to tell and after-all, he hadn't done anyone any harm up until that point

Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
The implications of this will be, of course, that the anti-gun lobby will ramp up its efforts, and that on July 27, when Obama signs the UN Treaty effectively nullifying the Second Amendment, that he will say words to the effect of "We will prevent this from ever happening again!"

The problem all started when the government started telling people two things:
1) No one is responsible for their own choices; it is always the fault of an inanimate object (alcohol, drugs, guns,etc)
2) That society is responsible for causing the actions of individuals.

By enforcing laws based on "Oh, he couldn't help himself, liquor/drugs/guns are so available!" we excuse people from being responsible from their own choices. We let the DUI drive again and again, destroying peoples' property and ultimately often their lives, even paying him disability because 'he can't help himself!' rather than making him financially responsible to the people he harms in his drunken state. We make all gun owners guilty because they encourage, even demand, the freedom to collect guns and ammunition, rather than holding the one who shoots and kills responsible for buying, loading, and firing the weapon.

Until we return to holding individual people responsible for their own choices and actions, and stop insisting that "It's the guns' fault!" "It's the drugs' fault!" Or "It's society's fault!" - we will continue down this road of "Some people are irresponsible, let's punish everyone!"

I'm glad I live in a place where everyone carries, no one cares, everyone is believed to be a responsible human being who makes his/her own choices, and criminals know better than to challenge anyone.

"Armed women = polite men".

Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
I'm always interested to see how the media interprets these kinds of incidents. There's always a lot of hand-wringing, Monday morning quarterbacking, etc.

At the same time, the assassin is suddenly famous in the blink of an eye. Although he was smart, maybe he never felt heard. Maybe he felt so estranged from society that this is the way he said, "Look at me! Remember me - forever!" He let the police capture him, and he even told them about his apartment being booby trapped. This is the mark of someone who wants notoriety. The fact that innocents were killed is just an unfortunate side effect. Is he one sick man? Yes! His parents must be devastated. At the same time, I also hope he either rots in prison for the rest of his life or experiences the death penalty.

The truth is that the Internet makes anything too easy to get - bullet-proof vests, ingredients for home-made bombs, etc. I agree that if he couldn't have bought all those guns, he probably would have run people over with his car. (I'm not touching gun control in this forum! )

Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
not really a thought or implication, but I heard a news report from NBC radio news today (early mon morning) that said the shooter had a "100 round ammunition barrel." Whoa! The reporter was someone named Constantini, and it was top of the hour news on a show called 'First Light with Dirk Van.' I tried to track down the audio on the NBC radio website, and on the Dirk Van Website, but no luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting