Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 AM

18,162 posts, read 15,678,644 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and am wondering if the program can be revived a bit. Well...more than just a bit. The feds won't like the ideas I'm mulling over, but who's in charge here? Us or them? Much debate has revolved around the 2As wording of "a well regulated militia". Since the CMPs original purpose was to train citizens as militia, I believe that could be expanded on now, and made very efficient and practical.

There is no shortage of surplus arms and ammunition. Good stuff too. Garand, M1As, 1911s, M1 carbines, even M16 A1&2s that could be made semi auto only very easily. Plus , since CCW is pretty much the law of the land now, the program could be expanded for training in that area, as well as for basic safety and marksmanship. All that surplus hardware should be made available, and proper training along with them. There is plenty of funding that can be diverted from useless programs, and funneled into this, and I would have no issue with a nominal fee applied to the program in order to obtain the weapon and for training expenses.

A "well regulated militia" would be the result, and thus contribute, greatly, to our national security. The training program could be privatized, sub k, if you will, and there are bunkers and warehouses full of quality weapons platforms, either good to go or just in need of a little TLC. Expanding the program thus, would offer quality safety and marksmanship training, and also give lower income people the opportunity to get into the shooting sports, and be of service to the nation, should the need arise. So I propose the CMP , which has languished into obscurity, be given a new lease on life, and become an integral part of the 2A.

There is so much surplus hardware out there, just rusting away in storage, that its criminal. FM e rifles , pistols and even revolvers that could be put to good and proper use. Yes, I see the feds balking, severely , at the thought, and that should be telling. If they don't like it, its a good thing for We, the People. Its hard to argue against proper firearms training being made available to anyone, and much of the surplus firearms inventory is civilian legal , as is. The M16s can be made so very easily.

I see such an effort as quite doable, and if enough noise were made about it, and arguments of proper form and function were presented, perhaps getting the NRA , GOA, and other 2A advocacy groups on the same page, it could be made to happen. Anyone else have any thoughts? I would be greatly interested to hear what folks think, either pro or con, though obviously I lean pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 PM

806 posts, read 880,852 times
As I understand it , converting a full auto M16 or A4 is not very easy given the current laws on the books .

Old 11-15-2015, 02:03 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,957,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Much debate has revolved around the 2As wording of "a well regulated militia". Since the CMPs original purpose was to train citizens as militia, I believe that could be expanded on now, and made very efficient and practical.
As a note here, perhaps offtopic to the intent of the thread - The only debate about the wording on "a well regulated militia" is among the ignorant. As much as some try to put a 21st century definition upon the term, what matters is what the founding fathers intended. We can go on and on with pages of pointless dialogue, I've added some debate on it in the past to the uninformed. But when it comes down to it the Supreme Court has done that work for us: 2008 DC vs. Heller: "[t]he adjective 'well-regulated' implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training." The 2nd amendment was deemed by the Supreme Court to be an individual, not a collective, right. Case closed on that sub-topic. Let the idiots in the P&C forum discuss it further.

Surplus weapons are simple - it should be made available to the general public within the constraints of current law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting