Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Having spoken with members of WCI who frequent Brew City Shooters Supply, though they were aware they signed a liability release to use the range, they were NOT aware in any way that their use of the range was being reported to West Milwaukee Police Department.
Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to local police

From the limited info. in the story it doesn't sound as though customers were made aware that their information would be turned in to law enforcement for a background check.

Unconsented background checks smells an aweful lot to me like a civil lawsuit in the making. Any training event, certification or permitting which has required a background check in which I've been involved has always stated it up front and center that by sending in the application the individual was giving consent.

Thanks for the "heads up". This should be an interesting story to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps if you read the original story instead of the mash-up of a rehash...

As a private club he has the right to run background checks on potential members just as any employer has a right to do a criminal background check on potential employees.

West Milwaukee gun shop resumes selling weapons - JSOnline
Yes, they have a right to do background checks. However, this article fails to show if members were notified on the application that a background check would be conducted. The club I belong to makes it very clear that with every new member and renewal a background check will be run and when I send in my membership renewal I am giving them my consent to so do (in writing by signature).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Perhaps if you read the original story instead of the mash-up of a rehash...

As a private club he has the right to run background checks on potential members just as any employer has a right to do a criminal background check on potential employees.

West Milwaukee gun shop resumes selling weapons - JSOnline
I did read the article. If it's not illegal, it should be. If you are going to run a background check on me, you had best notify me and give me the option of whether I want one run or not. Of course, that is my opinion, just like you have yours.

As stated in the article" use of public resource to run background checks on law abiding citizens with no probable cause or reasonable suspicion whether those citizens were using a firing range, attending church, going to the grocery store, or stopping in a corner tavern for a cocktail."

I don't think it's right.

monkeywrenching - we have 15, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 500, and 1000 yard ranges along with Silhouette range for 100, 200, and 500 (reduced size targets).

Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
monkeywrenching - we have 15, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 500, and 1000 yard ranges along with Silhouette range for 100, 200, and 500 (reduced size targets).

thanks man, I really need to move. although I have no idea of where I would move to there.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
If Wisconsin is an "Open Records" state then criminal records can be requested for anyone. If so then I doubt any laws were broken. However, I would never give my business to that Gun Range again.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
The real problem here is the compiling of a list of people who shoot and who very likely own a number of guns. Only an antigun police department would do this. Only a gun dealer who has no interest in guns and no belief in the Second Amendment would cooperate.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The real problem here is the compiling of a list of people who shoot and who very likely own a number of guns. Only an antigun police department would do this. Only a gun dealer who has no interest in guns and no belief in the Second Amendment would cooperate.
That is correct. But in an open records state you can compile a list of any group and do a background check as long as you didn't break any laws in the collection of their private identifying info.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The legal or ethical principles are still in question if he did not notify the "members".
Well that's a big if isn't it. Neither story contains even a quote from a member much less a complaint other than the "we have "spoken" with members".

I don't deal in "likely"

Quote:
I did some research as well. It seems the Milwaukee police have been coming down hard on this gun dealer for being a source of guns used by criminals, and/or claiming "strawman sales".
How much research did you have to do, that was established in the original story linked to on the site. By the way, it was the former owner, not the current one.

Quote:
I think it's more likely that the local Milwakee police cheif is not gun-friendly and wanted to enforce his own type of gun regulations, regardless of the rules of privacy and civil liberties.
There's that likely word again.

Quote:
There was probably some extortion-like agreement with the owner and police cheif, as in, "you give me names of all your customers and I will let you sell guns again".
Quote:
Where is the ACLU in these type cases?
Who needs the FBI, it is a clear violation of It is a violation of the National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact for non-criminal offender background checks using Federal data bases. All you need is a Federal Attorney.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
[quote=lifelongMOgal;25475894]

Quote:
this article fails to show if members were notified on the application that a background check would be conducted.
The article also fails to provide a single quote or named customer who has issued a complaint or has called into the question the process, so my initial reaction is that this is a story in search of an outrage.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
The article also fails to provide a single quote or named customer who has issued a complaint or has called into the question the process, so my initial reaction is that this is a story in search of an outrage.
Not necessarily. How do you know that the story writers even sought out any of the customers whose information was turned over to the authorities? Sloppy journalism is becoming the norm more-so than than the exception.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
There might be complaints by customers now that they actually know what has happened.

Milwaukee is the same city where the police chief said the police would arrest anyone open carrying, back when open carry was the only legal method in WI, despite their courts upholding it as a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting