Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to local police

it was reported that the former Badger Guns (now Brew City Shooters Supply)

been reporting the names of every customer that comes in to use their firing range to the West Milwaukee Police Department.In this time over 25,000 customer names were reported to West Milwaukee Police Chief Dennis Nasci who ran a background check on each through “his system”.

So far in 2012 it was reported more than 8,800 customer name records have been supplied to West Milwaukee Police by Brew City Shooters Supply to have a criminal background check run on them.

Read more at Ammoland.com: Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to local police

I had a feeling the gun ranges kept your info on file to give to the police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

it was reported that the former Badger Guns (now Brew City Shooters Supply)

been reporting the names of every customer that comes in to use their firing range to the West Milwaukee Police Department.In this time over 25,000 customer names were reported to West Milwaukee Police Chief Dennis Nasci who ran a background check on each through “his system”.

So far in 2012 it was reported more than 8,800 customer name records have been supplied to West Milwaukee Police by Brew City Shooters Supply to have a criminal background check run on them.

Read more at Ammoland.com: Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to local police

I had a feeling the gun ranges kept your info on file to give to the police

it would only happen 1 time for me, I would tell the range they just lost any business from me ever again. I would go somewhere else rather than use their range ever again, even if I had to drive a distance to go there.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
The last time I was at a public range was about six years ago. I know I didn't give them any information about myself. This was at the city recreational center in Evanston, Wyoming. The range is only open in the winter months when it's a bit chiily to shoot outside here and when high school is in session. Kids and guns are like cookies and milk.

Every supplier of guns, ammunition, and shooting accessories should refuse to sell anything to this outfit in Milwaukee. Post this information everyplace you can. Let's hope we can put these slime out of business.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Wow, this is sad news. I would never set foot in there again. I can't help but wonder if there has been some kind of law violated. I wonder if police have to have some sort of cause to run a background check. Why would they need to run background checks "just because they can?" Shady.

This makes me glad that I joined the local chapter of the Izaak Walton League. Now I have a fantastic range facility to use and I can come and go as I please without having to sign in or keep a record of my visits, what I shot, etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
If it is not illegal, it should be.

Our local range is owned by it's members. We have 10,000 acres with 7 rifle ranges, 2 pistol ranges, and 21 shotgun setups. When you pay your annual dues, they give you a key to the gate. No range master, nobody at the gate.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
That's distubing from a plain privacy issue. Now one wonders also who else they are distributing the information to - marketers, lobbyists, press groups, anti-gun rights groups, etc.
There are ethical, in some place legal, privacy rights when you give a company personal information. For instance, most legitimate websites that you sign on to include a statement of what they will and will not do with your personal information.
Hopefully this will be widespread news in the Milwaukee gun-friendly community and this place shut down (blackballed from the business).

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Perhaps if you read the original story instead of the mash-up of a rehash...

As a private club he has the right to run background checks on potential members just as any employer has a right to do a criminal background check on potential employees.

West Milwaukee gun shop resumes selling weapons - JSOnline

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps if you read the original story instead of the mash-up of a rehash...

As a private club he has the right to run background checks on potential members just as any employer has a right to do a criminal background check on potential employees.

West Milwaukee gun shop resumes selling weapons - JSOnline
The legal or ethical principles are still in question if he did not notify the "members". I use that term loosly since the membership claim seems to be just a technicality - 25,000 "members" is alot of members. Likely the majority are one time users that just came in to shoot a few rounds. It's still unclear if he did the proper notifications to his customers, as from the first article the customers did not know when they signed the release form that their names were being issued for local police scrutiny.

I did some research as well. It seems the Milwaukee police have been coming down hard on this gun dealer for being a source of guns used by criminals, and/or claiming "strawman sales". The fact that this was local police, and not ATF, has my befounded - as certaintly ATF enforces these laws. I think it's more likely that the local Milwakee police cheif is not gun-friendly and wanted to enforce his own type of gun regulations, regardless of the rules of privacy and civil liberties. There was probably some extortion-like agreement with the owner and police cheif, as in, "you give me names of all your customers and I will let you sell guns again". Despicable for all involved.

Where is the ACLU in these type cases?

Last edited by Dd714; 08-03-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
People around the area should inform the public
and spread the word on this group, and not go there.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Our local range is owned by it's members. We have 10,000 acres with 7 rifle ranges, 2 pistol ranges, and 21 shotgun setups. When you pay your annual dues, they give you a key to the gate. No range master, nobody at the gate.

10,000 acres???
I need to move to Wyoming. I thought it was great that my local range had a 2500 meter range for 50 caliber rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting