Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,454,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
A 1911 in 45ACP.........

+1 ....Would have been +100 if you'd have said a P90 though.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,395,088 times
So I went to Gander Mountain today and did the "pocket test" for pocket guns. I thought I would be leaning LC9 but after putting in cargo shorts LCP is looking better. I thought the LC9 would be smaller but it wasn't.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,842,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPG View Post
What is the best 9mm ccw gun?
Best is a subjective word.

My only advice, avoid the whole "pocket 9" fad at least for your first CCW. An extra .3 inches or so in width with a virtually identical height and length will double your capacity and get you something quite a bit more comfortable to shoot.

Out of all the compact 9s I've handled, I liked the PX4 (compact, not subcompact) best, plus I like DA/SA for carry. But as I said, it's entirely subjective, my preference is in a relative minority compared to the Glock 19, M&P, etc.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,085,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx;3015188ending your life.3
I used to hate Glock because I wasn't that accurate with a poly gun at 25 yds until I read that gunfights are generally within 10 feet so no prob. then
I'm hoping I will never be in a gun fight, if I was I'd probably be happy if I had a gun of any kind. I had four Glocks before Crimson Trace came out with their present laser sight for a Glock. I sold them all because I'm a big believer in the use of those laser sights. No sooner had I sold them and CTC came out with their present laser sight for Glocks, I have two of those sites, one on a model 20 and one on a model 30. But, I still don't like Glock handguns, I guess it's just the feel, because I know they work well, and seem to work forever. I usually carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 ACP, but for the last two weeks I've been carrying a S&W mod 19 with a 2.5" barrel and a speed loader. I also have in my back pants pocket a Diamondback 9MM (unless I'm in bed). Sometime ago I read an article written by a Medical Examiner, and he pretty much convinced me that 38 Special and 9 MM were not good guns to carry for defending your life. When I worked as an LEO I carried a S&W model 60 when off duty. A couple years ago on national TV a man shot his attorney 5 times with a 38 special, then walked away. The attorney never went down and survived with little damage done.

I am curious why the OP specified 9 MM for a carry gun on this thread, surely there are many calibers that are better. I've read that the US Army is considering another caliber to replace the 9 MM they presently use.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,424,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post

Reliability of function is highly overrated. The odds are at least 4 to 1 that you won't have to fire at all, if you get your gun visible to the misceant in time for him to see it
You are kidding, right?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
A 1911 in 45ACP.........
I kind of have to agree. I've carried a number of guns over the years. I started out with .45's then for a long time carried mouse guns. In more recent years I did considerable study and testing and viewing of assault videos.

I have returned to .45's. Primarily to a 5" full size 1911, or an HK45, which is a really big gun! My reasoning is that in so many cases multiple shots are fired by both parties and nobody gets hit. Police seen to have a higher hit ratio because they are carrying full size pistols. Especially if you watch dash cam videos of traffic stops where bad guys exit the car shooting at the cop. Most of the time the bad guy goes down, though not always right away. But the cops seem to get shot less and hit more.

I find I am far more accurate, especially under stress with a 1911 than with say a Taurus with a 2 inch barrel. Especially at distances beyond 15-25 feet.

I think there may also be a deterrent factor with a bad guy staring down the barrel of a 1911 vs a plastic pocket gun.

Of course you can't always conceal a full size gun, so there are exceptions that call for smaller guns. But I still adhere to the old cliche - "I carry a .45 because I don't want to have to shoot twice!"

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,233,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Police seen to have a higher hit ratio because they are carrying full size pistols.
Wrong...

The average civilian SD shooting has an average and median of 2 rounds total fired.
(source: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings)

The average police shooting has a shooting is 4.7 total fired (at least in New York)
(source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/ny...pagewanted=all)

So not only is the fact that police clearly have more rounds fired (and one assumes because they're not hitting their target), but the subsequent conclusion that full size pistols helps is unproven (since it's based on erroneous data).

Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
If I have to go places I feel uncomfortable I tote a full size Colt .45 1911 pistol. I carry it on my belt under a jacket. It is not exactly concealed. I also carry a .22 Derringer in a back pocket. Fortunately I have not had to use either.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPG View Post
What is the best 9mm ccw gun?
This was the original post. I quoted and brought it forward so you folks could remember what the thread was about. It's not about, "Hey look at my .45", or "argueing which .45 is better". It was about which 9mm was the best gun for ccw.

It seemed like a pretty straight forward thread where the op asks a question and people provide feedback, based on the guidelines of the question. I am very surprised at the people that hijacked the thread to talk about what they wanted to talk about, instead of what the op asked. It is kind of embarrassing to tell people, "I wouldn't post your question here because nobody will answer it."

I hope the op got the needed information in the couple of posts that actually answered.

As such, this thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting