Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times

Advertisements

Where's that, Idaho?

Just where is this "civil war" going to break out?
Who or what are the "rebels" going to attack?
Who is going to be the leader/standard to rally around?

I heard some of the same crap 40-45 years ago when violence and social upheaval were at a much higher level than we have today. Lot of hot wind, IMO.

Sorry, but as much as I hate the direction this country is going and the buffoons running it, such crazy talk isn't going to cause me to rush outside waving any of the 30+ firearms from my safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's not what the article said at all. Did you read it?

Gun retailers had a difficult time keeping their shelves stocked after Obama was first elected. That's not because anyone feared a civil war. They thought that a democrat president would make stricter gun control laws. They're predicting a similiar increase in sales this year if the President is reelected.

Personally, I doubt there will be a huge increase in sales like there was 4 years ago, because there haven't been any major changes in gun control laws during the last 4 years. I did buy a 33 round mag for my Glock 19 in case they decide to ban them (and because it's pretty cool-looking) and a few extra boxes of ammo in case it's hard to find in a few months, because I don't like the really cheap stuff and that's all I could find 4 years ago. But mostly I just wanted an excuse to buy a few things I really didn't need

If Obama is reelected to a second term as President he will PROBABLY appoint at least two or three Justices to the Supreme Court and untold Judges to the lower court. IF that happens you will see gun control on an unprecedented scale. Other than defeating Obama the only LEGAL alternative to his stacking the SCOTUS would be to elect enough Senators that would not approve any selections he would make to SCOTUS.

Heller passed on a 5/4 vote. Swing the court to the liberal side 5/4 or even worse 6/3 and within a few years citizens owning guns will be a thing of the past. Or CIVIL WAR. It may happen but I won't be around when it does.
GL2

Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Where's that, Idaho?
"- - - Sorry, but as much as I hate the direction this country is going and the buffoons running it, such crazy talk isn't going to cause me to rush outside waving any of the 30+ firearms from my safe.
If you bury fifteen of them maybe WHEN they round up those still in your safe you will change your mind?
GL2

Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM

286 posts, read 521,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think the only "fear" is in the fact that second term Presidents are not predictable. First term, they try to toe the line on what America wants (obviously not all the time) and tend not to try and **** people off. Second term is a "go to hell" term in that now they can stomp on the things their party, alone, wants.

So even though the standing President didn't mess with firearms and our rights with firearms, people are worried that if he gets in a second time, what does he have to loose on restricting firearm sales.

Fear? People would do the same thing if the Government said, "Starting next Friday, tobacco sales will stop, no more tobacco will be sold in the US." People would stock pile. It happened several years ago when the President suggested he was going to raise the Tax on cigarrettes by 100%. This is no different, just a different product.
There’s a huge difference because the government hasn’t said, "Starting next Friday, guns sales will stop".

On the other hand, I plan on taking full advantage of the paranoid right, many of whom believe exactly that. I’ve been buying this last year and will be gouging them for all their worth in the coming months.

Capitalism at its best!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM

2,613 posts, read 3,143,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
"I don't think I'll need a new gun but I'll buy a few since there will be a civil war after the election" thinks your average gun nut.

Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election - WSJ.com
You have obviously not followed Obama's record. He has done all he can to deter gun ownership, backing down only when he has to in order to get votes. Check out his records as a state senator & US senator. He never voted in favor of any firearms freedoms. His administration is also on board with the UN for their gun control schemes.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
What killed me back in 08 was there were a lot of people I know saying "hey look, there is no ammo, you can't even get hold of the lowly .22, them damn democrats!!!! Better buy up all you can find" what they didn't seem to realise was that they were the very ones causing the shortage to begin with.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What killed me back in 08 was there were a lot of people I know saying "hey look, there is no ammo, you can't even get hold of the lowly .22, them damn democrats!!!! Better buy up all you can find" what they didn't seem to realise was that they were the very ones causing the shortage to begin with.

if you look at it, in 2000 I could buy 100,000 rounds of 5.56 for about $9000. now that same amount of ammo would cost me $50,000. big difference there.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM

286 posts, read 521,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Great point, it's a shame that they just don't get it as we all have to pay the inflated prices their paranoia creates.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM

416 posts, read 630,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes
While the article didn't say anything about a civil war a great many gun owners are buying guns just for that reason.
There are more people concerned about an economic collapse and the impending robberies and riots that could incur than there are concerned about civil war. It's the main reason I bought a gun. There are a lot of people losing jobs out there and going homeless. With the potential erosion of social programs they will grow desperate.
College enrollment is down. If it goes down far enough I could be out of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
You have obviously not followed Obama's record. He has done all he can to deter gun ownership, backing down only when he has to in order to get votes. Check out his records as a state senator & US senator. He never voted in favor of any firearms freedoms. His administration is also on board with the UN for their gun control schemes.
Do the same for Romney and get back to us.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
There are more people concerned about an economic collapse and the impending robberies and riots that could incur than there are concerned about civil war. It's the main reason I bought a gun. There are a lot of people losing jobs out there and going homeless. With the potential erosion of social programs they will grow desperate.
College enrollment is down. If it goes down far enough I could be out of a job.
A valid point, thank you for pointing that out. Also, in addition to the possibility of a massive crime wave, people are also considering their own defense against the more common "every day" crimes that plague our society. Most of us live a pretty easy life and with the exception of combat veterans, few Americans will ever experience what it is like to be on the receiving end of a firearm. But we do have violent crime still, and people are more and more waking up to the possibility that a violent crime may affect them.

Imagine being in a convenience store for a Dr. Pepper when some thug decides to hold the place up for some cash and a bottle of booze. We also have the real and more unfortunate examples; the shootings in Aurora and Oak Creek. People are exploring the possibility that they will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and are interested to learn more about self defense options. Conceal carry classes in a lot of areas are registered to capacity. Gun manufacturers are seeing a surge in small and light models suitable for concealed carry. This is not just a "political" issue. It is very much a social issue. People are realizing that they cannot place their faith in the authorities to stop a violent crime from happening. In fact, the authorities are not good for much more than cleaning up the mess and taking a few witness statements.

The OP has essentially written off the "average" gun owner as looking forward to civil war. This is a claim that he has chosen not to defend or substantiate. Now I am well aware that there do exist fringe groups who are well armed. The key word is "fringe." The average gun owner is more likely an avid sportsman or enthusiast. The ranks of gun owners are growing with many first time gun owners who are waking up to the benefits of gun ownership. These newcomers have a wide range of reasons for pursuing gun ownership, and people like the OP are fooling themselves if they believe that it's all because of fear mongering politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting