Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Odd questions ...

Hey man

sometimes it happen, from simply questions you can get .....great answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
To sir Rifleman

as usual I have to compliment you, even more I will add a positive comment, I find hard to understand the technical terms but I have to learn them.

You know I'm trying to understand how it works in North America by probing a little bit the situation, as far as the dark side of the human psyche is all a quiz, during a night, many years ago a young woman tried to stab me, then I discovered that she was a prostitute trying to switch off her life, as you see not only the lead kills.

at last but not the least

In your post l breath an air of spirituality, maybe it's in your earthly destiny...a divine illumination
Hardly divine illumination... but thanks anyhow for the compliment. I am a gunsmith and I also build custom rifles, and I accurize them as well.

I'd say that given such a situation as you found yourself in, you'd be warranted in defending yourself by whatever means. The dark side of the human (and occasionally, "gunman") psyche, as you note, is the very thing, the spiritual entity, that commits the crime, not the tool (as in a knife, a firearm, a sharpened shovel, axe, broken wine bottle, etc.).

In America, even our great orator (or so he imagines himself at any rate... ), past-prez Bill Clinton recently stated that there is really no more need for any new firearms legislation. Wow! and that from a social Democrat, huh? But he sees the truth, obviously. Hopefully, if Hillary becomes our POTUS, she will get off that legislative bandwagon herself!

After all, it's already very illegal to murder someone, or even to brandish a firearm in a menacing way towards someone in order to "convince" them to do something they do not want to do. And yet, we see this illegal behavior every day in our 350+ million population!

So... to limit the capacity of a pistol's magazine to, let's say, 10 or 12 rounds? Or to keep rifle barrel length under 16.5", which obviously suddenly makes it an awesome weapon of destruction?

Will those simplistic limitations stop gang or street violence and that potentially violent "human psyche" reaction? Nope. Not one iota! My money is on our media's persistent glorification of violence, (including the Evening News headlines that show a Glock and/or an AK...), and thus limiting the use or availability of any firearms as the solution to all our issues. Note" the bad guys ignore the laws. That'd be why we call 'em "lawbreakers". Duhhhh!!!

Plus, our very media-savy and visually oriented kids are now regularly treated to such movies as The Transformers, the final battle ground scene in Avatar, the last Batman, and all those superhero movies, plus crime dramas on TV and so on. No wonder they automatically go for the guns. Not to mention those hyper-violent computer games (World of War, or Call to Duty, I think they're called...).

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic, huh mod? But it does follow along with the flow of this thread, and I think it needs to be said if we're ever to change the public perception of firearms. As to remarking the barrel, only if you intend to commit a violent crime with a firearm and want to minimize the chance of being caught. There are better ways to get even

(like tossing a MacDonald's milkshake in their face, and yelling "Nyah nyah! Got YOU!"

Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Firing pin and other marks from firing on the case can only be traced if a firearm is in the possession of the police and tested against a fired case. The barrel just leaves marks that can tell them what gun it was that fired the round. It gets even more complicated if it's polygonally rifled or an aftermarket barrel.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Gota luv them polygonal bores, huh? Smooth, fast, easy to clean! Mostly untraceable!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Back to the thread, I would like to repeat the question... if is possible commit the perfect crime, such as an official in service, so he has an alibi, and he is able to avoid detection by replacing parts of his weapon

Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Back to the thread, I would like to repeat the question... if is possible commit the perfect crime, such as an official in service, so he has an alibi, and he is able to avoid detection by replacing parts of his weapon
Just because the weapon can't be linked to the crime doesn't mean that someone won't be successfully prosecuted for it. There are other types of evidence - DNA, security/surveillance cameras, etc - that can come into play.

As for changing the marks a firearm leaves on spent brass, a few minutes with a jeweler's file on the appropriate surfaces can work just as well as replacing parts. Or the perp could use a revolver.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Just because the weapon can't be linked to the crime doesn't mean that someone won't be successfully prosecuted for it. There are other types of evidence - DNA, security/surveillance cameras, etc - that can come into play.

As for changing the marks a firearm leaves on spent brass, a few minutes with a jeweler's file on the appropriate surfaces can work just as well as replacing parts. Or the perp could use a revolver.

Hi

very interesting point, but if the person has free access to the crime scene his DNA could not be considered, it remains a great detective effort , nowaday research tools have evolved, l do not know if the classic inspector has still his own operating space in the American big cities (the first time I set foot in New York I felt like an abandoned cat on the highway, but it happened many years ago, perhaps the cause is an alienating effect of habitats that do not coincide with the human dimension) l mean maybe is no longer possible to build a direct relationship with the multitude of individuals who make up the vital urban areas , here the daily reality is so much smaller excluding Milan and Rome the other cities have all a character of a province, so the small community can still isolate the rotten apple

Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

You don't even need to use a revolver. You could just police your brass afterwards. Committing the perfect crime probably isn't as difficult as one might think.

Anyways, this is sort of a weird question to ask on a gun forum. Might be better served in the true crime forum (though it is sorta fun to discuss in some warped sort of way.)

Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Research as the root of knowledge, through different spaces in different situations, projecting a theoretical scene (as is the reality that we perceive) can stimulate the positive mental energy ... definite curiosity

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
You don't even need to use a revolver. You could just police your brass afterwards.
That's 1) if you're not so amped on adrenaline that you forget, 2) if you know how many shots you fired, and 3) if you can find all the spent casings.

Of course, to really confuse things you could just dump casings from some other make/model of firearm in the same caliber. HK brass in particular has a pretty distinctive signature. Or use a pistol, such as the Sig P229, where you can swap between .40S&W and .357SIG by changing the barrel.

Quote:
Anyways, this is sort of a weird question to ask on a gun forum. Might be better served in the true crime forum (though it is sorta fun to discuss in some warped sort of way.)
Good point.

We now return to regularly scheduled discussion of which caliber is better, 9mm or .45ACP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting